rob177palmer

Hello - please help me gain my first 5 posts!!

Hi all,

Help needed to get my posting numbers up to be able to view the for sale section!

Current set up is Rancillo Rocky and Gaggia Classic, but now looking to upgrade the Classic.

Was planning to buy a new Fracino Piccino, but the dual boiler is not really relevant as I always black coffee and only steam milk for the occasional guest

Wife won't let me stretch to a Fraccino Cherub this time, so after reduced my expectations to a Quick Mill Carola, I have dropped the budget to £500 for a new Quick Mill Silvano (tickling my fancy due to the PID).

I'd like to see what used bargains the good people of this forum are selling.

Sooo, that's my thinking.........nice weather here in Bristol...!!

I suppose a good question for the masses would be, whether the Silvano would be a meaningful upgrade from the Classic?

Any experience stories gratefully received.

Rob

Hi Rob,

welcome I see you've made it to 5 posts anyway - I think there should be enough threads you could find without having to only talk to yourself ;-).

Anyway, what roasters do you enjoy?

Welcome to the forum and the slippery slope of what you might find to buy!

Everything my heart could desire (more or less). . .

https://cupperjoe.com

Yes, you would think so, but a quiet day in the office has left me trawling the internet and only finding myself to speak to!!

Usual roaster is Two Day, here in Bristol. It was frank's fault that I started on the slippery slope to spending what feels like lots of money on coffee machines and beans!

Since starting the conversation with myself, I'm feeling I have settled on the Quick Mill Silvano ... it seems a good middle-ground with the built-in PID, as I can't find any "deals" on an e61 group machine.

im not looking to upgrade as i've not long had my classic. but i'm the same as you (black coffee and no need for steam). so i will keep an eye out for what you go with.

but from looking at that quickmill, wouldn't it be better to pid the classic rather than a big outlay for what looks to be a glorified silvia.

I like my coffee how i like my women....... Bitter

I've loved my Classic, but partly just wanting "a change". I have found a huge improvement by playing with the OPV (I recall am running 9.5 bar ATM).

I did a little reading around on the PID upgrade. Would probably be a good option for me a couple of years back, as this would definitely help improve the wildly-varying temperatures I seem to eek out of this machine. PID would make the brewing routing simpler and more consistent, for sure. The difficult bit is knowing whether the money spent there would have been better put towards a mid-range single-boiler unit such as the Silvano.

Reading around, one of the main drawbacks of the Classic is a small boiler. So, a PID and add precision to the starting temperature, but the brew temperature will still dip wildly through the shot. Some other machines have a much bigger boiler and should have more temperature stability whilst pulling the shot. That feels like the main advantage to encourage me to spend some money.

That could all be BS

aah ok, i wasn't aware of boiler size being an issue. on the classic's, does this affect an individual shot or only matters if doing multiple shots?

I like my coffee how i like my women....... Bitter

aah ok, i wasn't aware of boiler size being an issue. on the classic's, does this affect an individual shot or only matters if doing multiple shots?

That's hopefully going to be part of my learning curve through buying something bigger. From my reading, it's more of a problem during the individual shot (as my refilling and tamping procedure actually takes quite a while as I enjoy that bit) the boiler is powerful so raises the temperature easily for the next shot but, as above, I understand the temp can change a lot during the shot pull. I am not consistent enough to temperature surf accurately, so need a machine where that is less of a consideration.

I am hoping a more stable temperature during the brew will lead to sweeter and fewer acidic shots.

Welcome. With that budget you could always look for a nicely used Cherub?

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3 + Mahlkonig EK43 Turkish burrs + Niche

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

Welcome. With that budget you could always look for a nicely used Cherub?

Thank you....and that is probably what I would like ideally....just can't find one!

p.s. loving Mr Mackey - that made me smile!

Strange few days.

I seem to have not upgraded the Gaggia Classic and instead have bought a Mazzer Super Jolly.

As per @DaveMak's suggestion, I am now seriously considering PIDing the GC with a MrShades kit as a temporary solution to not being able to decide what new machine to buy.

That should hopefully buy me 6 months thinking time on the new machine.

Looking forward to seeing what difference the SJ makes!

Please update when it arrives and you've got it working - currently fiddling around with my daughter's delonghi machine and already starting to ponder on what might replace it when she takes it away...

starting to ponder on what might replace it when she takes it away...

That would be very selfish of her

Fitted last night and looking forward to first PID espresso this morning.

Took longer than expected to fit (3 hrs probably), with only a few confused moments. Excited to see what difference it makes!

So it could well be an expensive placebo, but the @MrShades PID system seems to make a massive difference, at least to the repeatability of my espresso shots and the average quality.

I am still pulling too slow (45 seconds for a double), but they are crystal clear (thanks Mazzer) with ⅔ crema whilst pouring and some lovely tiger striping. Nice and thick mouth feel and very smooth flavour. Poured five this morning (now very caffeinated!!) and all bar one were amongst the best I have ever produced - that doesn't feel like chance.

Pre-PID I was sometimes getting noticeably too hot shots and other times noticeably bitter - temperature surfing clearly wasn't working for me. The real-time temperature display on the PID is very informative and allows you to start the pour in the knowkedge that the temperature is correct and stable.

The MrShades kit is excellent. It might seem fun to try and design a PID yourself, but for many people the reality will be frustrating and possibly unrealistic. This kit is great value and takes the worry out of a fairly major re-wire.

An expensive week, but conclusion is a Mazzer SJ, accurate weighing scales and a PID can make an incredible difference to the humble Classic. I can't yet replicate the best shop-bought espresso, but I am substantially closer. Would wholeheartedly recommend to anytime in two minds about spending money on these things.