Scotford

#12roasterschallenge, scotfords style

Bit late to this but whatever.

January yielded (see what I did there?) a lovely Guat from Tate courtesy of Tate Britain.

713a77368ca097c67bdf916edefe3bc4.jpg

Chewy. That's the first impression I got. Lovely thick mouthfeel from this. Almost like after eating ricotta. Slight lemony acidity but loads of light nuts upfront and a dash of white chocolate littered with prunes.

Best recipe for me:

Clever dipper. 20g dose. 300g brew water. 5 min steep then drop.

Good. Very good. They'll be guesting at the shop this year.

'it's all about the microbubbubbles'

February.

What a difficult choice it was picking just one roaster from the ones I tried in Feb. The calibre was exceptionally high!

One that really stood out for me came from Bailies in Belfast. Their specialty game has blown through the roof last 6 months and if this is the view of things to come then happy days ahead!!!

Favourite coffee was a part of the Trinity pack from Finca La Bella, Guatemala. The Caturra absolutely blew me away.

e28356cc8b6773cecdc2b11662389890.jpg

Favourite recipe: 12.5g - 220g water in a cupping bowl then instead of breaking, I dumped the entire thing through a filter paper at 4 minutes. I got insanely morish green apple candies at first which had this giant caramelly mouthfeel and a finish that instantly made me want another brew. 1.25 tds on the nose.

Through a pour over, there was a much crisper finish with all the sweet ripe apple on the body, but retained the caramel sweetness whilst being much more tea like.

This year already has a very strong contender for a favourite.

Edited by Scotford

March.

Stooker from Amsterdam are the standout roaster with this Kangocho PB from Nyeri, Kenya. Had heard of Stooker before but not had anything from them and a coffee person whose opinion I respect (a lot) hightly rated them so jumped at the chance of getting their coffee. Also, having a go at the hand-grinding championship of Amsterdam at their Amsterdam Coffee Festival stand was fun too (failed miserably with 43sec!).

0924ec8c1f61f8a7bc33ecedee3be111.jpg

Anyone who knows my coffee tastes will know my love of SL28/34s and this spoke to me on every level. You don't often see that many peaberrys from Nyeri either so it was instantly interesting to me. This is roasted almost impossibly light but perfectly developed which, with a PB, is no easy feat.

Cupping notes: melon and buttery blackcurrants by the bucketful!

Favourite recipe: espresso 20g - 65g - 40sec - 93°c - 5bar.

Suuuuuuper silky sweet ribena with an insane finish that was like homemade lemonade!

Have bookmarked them for a guest at the shop later in the year!

Okay so April.

Going to break the mould a bit here and not name any coffees as there have been too many to count that Tez and Jon have utterly blown my mind with. These guys were born out of a man who used to be a partner and head roaster for Campbell and Syme and a barista who used to work for Federation. He's worked with the likes of Da Matteo and she's been worldwide with her coffee experience.

These guys are gaining their recognition in the super speciality scene at only 9 months old. Good pals of mine personally and general all round lovely people.

It's Curve. Some of you know them, some don't.

We (Federation) took them on as their first wholesale account and are unofficially their flagship for all things brown bean wise. I've never worked with such passionate roasters who spend most of their time trying to excel at what they do professionally.

I can't give enough love in text for these two. Big up, Curve, you're the best!

Okay so April.

Going to break the mould a bit here and not name any coffees as there have been too many to count that Tez and Jon have utterly blown my mind with. These guys were born out of a man who used to be a partner and head roaster for Campbell and Syme and a barista who used to work for Federation. He's worked with the likes of Da Matteo and she's been worldwide with her coffee experience.

These guys are gaining their recognition in the super speciality scene at only 9 months old. Good pals of mine personally and general all round lovely people.

It's Curve. Some of you know them, some don't.

We (Federation) took them on as their first wholesale account and are unofficially their flagship for all things brown bean wise. I've never worked with such passionate roasters who spend most of their time trying to excel at what they do professionally.

I can't give enough love in text for these two. Big up, Curve, you're the best!

Based on my LSOL experience of Curve I have to agree that there is something good going on there.

I Still have an unopened bag of that juicy Kayon Mountain I brought back from Brixton last month. Think I might crack it open in the morning, as the Wota from 'Ethiopian Coffee Company' is almost done.

Also I should have done this 12 roasters thing...I didn't think I would get through enough, but I've done 5 in the last 4 weeks.

I have really enjoyed Curve's Peruvian Apolinar Arevalo - a sensational espresso and just the same brewed.

I have really enjoyed Curve's Peruvian Apolinar Arevalo - a sensational espresso and just the same brewed.

Yeah I really wanted that in our next blend but there's just not enough of it. Gone for something super exciting instead!

Bit late to May's roaster but here goes anyway.

Craft House Coffee.

Tom and I chat quite a bit on social about various things and when he sent me a message during his recent Colombia trip about some super-rare, high scoring, ultra-high-altitude geisha he was planning on bringing back I instantly said yes I want some. Tom's service and consistency are constantly on the money, and fit in with my ethos of doing everything as well as you possibly can, consistently.

The coffee:

El Obraje, Narino. Geisha, washed. 2250masl.

20170603_120334.jpg

Recipes:

V60 - there are two recipes that I have found make this coffee sing. Both are 16g - 270g.

The first: sub 2:30 brew time makes this incredibly floral and light. I get a violet and jasmine tea on the nose and a superbly crisp parma violet sugary body with incredibly crisp raspberry and peach notes. There's a slight hint of vanilla throughout that's very subtle but distinct.

The second: 4:00 plus brew times really drag out the vanilla and bring it to the front and transform this into a chewy brew which is less floral but still incredibly sweet. Raspberries become sticky and jammy with a glug of ribena along the finish.

The versatility of this is insane, good job CHC!