IGNORED

Worn Mazzer titanium burrs

chewy

I bought an ex-Costa Mazzer Major about 6 months ago which came with titanium burrs. Since this is was used in a commercial environment I may need to replace the burrs (which I've attached pictures). The existing burrs have no markings on the back and given that the machine is from 2015 I'm not sure whether they are aftermarket or original.

From my shoddy pictures can anybody advise me either way whether they need replacing? It is only certain angles that show wear on the cutting edges.

DSC_0490.jpg

DSC_0494.jpg

I would think if you run your finger across the blades and the feel sharp then they're ok. If they feel soft then they're done.

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3  + Customised Mazzer Major + Niche

Output: Slayer One Group + La Pavoni + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

From what I see above these are OK but what we need is another shot where the whole frame is filled with maybe 10 cutting edges taken at a similar angle to the pic on the right but concentrating on the foreground and lit in a manner to accentuate any bluntness of the edges.

These nasty ones for example:

25s070j.jpg

2eol3tl.jpg

I also do 

https://join.worldcommunitygrid.org?recruiterId=596475 Letting the idle processors on phone and PC help humanity

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/vesuvius/ Even though I have a lever

I cannot zoom in any closer with any of my camera lenses without it losing focus. If they were sharp would they draw blood if you ran your fingers over them?

You are unlikely to cut yourself on burrs even when brand new. Looking at the pics they look good. A macro shot would've been good but if that's not possible then I'd say put them in.

Has anyone tried to sharpen the steel or titanium burrs? I know they're pretty tough but there are tools out there that would do it relatively easily I would guess.

I've never heard of it being done and I don't know of any tools that would do it easily....but interested to hear if anyone is doing it. I also assume they are case hardened after being milled in the factory.

CFUK, the biggest, best and most friendly forum in the UK...with a wealth of knowledge among its many members.

ive restored the edge of a few teeth on some steel brazillia burrs using a diamond coated nail file - they flex so that you can get the same curve as the grinding wheel that cut them originally - if the burrs are titanium coated it is likely that any kind of filing will remove the coating - is it a viable procedure yes will it drive you bonkers possibly, chances of success - no idea, possible saving huge.

if you were to have a go, you need to practice first then count the file strokes.