Coffee Forums banner

Coffee travel solution

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Aaron F 
#1 ·
Looking some advice. I have a friend whos interested in the Rok and thinks he will get something resembling an espresso out of it. Having no experience of the Rok and from just reading info on the internet I think his money would be better spent on a aeropress.

He tells me he prefers short drinks over filter.

He travels around a lot for his work so it needs to be portable. He would nearly always have access to a kettle.

I have invited him round for an aeropress to try and convince him but due to work commitments that will be next week and he has an itchy trigger finger to buy the Rok.

I told him to buy the aeropress and save his money for a proper espresso machine for the house as i dont believe the available handheld devices would deliver the same reaults.(again no experience just from reading)

Some how he believes the Rok will be less hassle to use than an aeropress.

He has just purchased a Hausgrind so will be using this as his grinder.

Anyone with any experience using the Rok and would like to offer some advice it would be greatly appreciated. Also any recommendations for other devices out there that might be suitable would be good. I sent him a link to the trinity one which he liked the look of but i think its too expensive and not portable enough.

Many thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
V60 is pretty portable and less mess (pull filter out and chuck in the bin). Aeropress can be messy - I wouldn't want to use one in a car with a travel kettle, put it that way. There are several Fench Press style travel mugs as well inc. the Caflano which has its own grinder.

#7 ·
NickdeBug said:
@Mrboots2u

Rok question - over to you...
Pretty much what @MWJB said , the Roc will make a drink closer to espresso strength than an aeropress. It does require some pre heating ( of pf and gasket thingy ) otherwise it makes quite sad face coffee. It does drip a bit and it isn't that portable .

I have used pre ground from a roaster for Aeropress and got quite good results , IMHO i think you will be wanting a grinder to get anything decent from the rok.

Personally if you want an espresso away from home , go to a cafe. If you want a decent cup of coffee then yeah the aeropress or the long steep FP .

Hassle wise, i wouldnt want a tamper , scales , water drips , grinder going around with me ... I use my Rok when i have a bit of time and i want something a little stronger than the Aeropress, but it takes me more time to use the Rok and get it up to temp than a short steep aeropress does .

#11 ·
Aaron F said:
Oh dear now hes asking me about a LA PAVONI Europiccola Deluxe EL from coffeeItalia. Ahim

Hold on a minute thats not portable.lol.
It is portable.. All he'd need is a generator in the boot of his car or a voltage converter
:rolleyes:

#14 ·
Funny you should say that as he owns an old merc sprinter that he converted to a camper with an inverter in it. He uses it the odd time when stuck for work so technically.lol. Wouldnt like to put fuel in it.

He has just purchased a Hausgrind so will be using it.

I think he may consider some form of espresso machine for the house now. Upgraditus is strong in him as he hasnt even received the grinder or the aeropress yet.lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.