Sign in to follow this  
Dayks

Dayks' #12roasterschallenge

A little information about me first.

I am fairly new to the speciality scene, bought a Nespresso Jan 2016, Gaggia Cubika in June and a Gaggia Classic in November. That is when I started looking at this forum, joined up and accelerated my case of uppgraditus.

I now have an Izzo Alex Mk1 and a Compak K10

I am still a little unsure of my tastes in terms of roast level and origin, so hopefully I should be able to narrow down my tastes over the course of this challenge and begin picking out some of the described notes.

At the moment I prefer the milky drinks, usually I will drink a flat white or a latte, occasionally I will drink an americano but I am not really enjoying my espressos yet.

Sage DTP - Compak K10 & Niche Zero

My roaster for January is Origin - https://www.origincoffee.co.uk/

I have ordered three coffees from Origin to try out.

DSC_0014_zpsxcpgwnav.jpg

I am at the moment sipping the espressos before adding any milk but they are not really to my taste so far.

The first I have tried is the Cerro Azul Jasmine Tablon, I have really liked this coffee, I am not up to picking up specific flavours yet but have found this to make a very sweet and moreish flat white with very little bitterness, I have saved a little of this coffee to try with my new grinder and may update this then. Probably my favourite coffee I have tried so far. (Although I have not tried that many.)

The second I have tried is the Los Altos, (this was rested for 7 days, then frozen) I am not sure about this coffee yet, I have spent around half of the bag dialling in my new grinder and I don't think I am there yet, although not bad as a flat white the espresso was very sour and that showed in the flat white. I am going to give this coffee another go tomorrow to see if I can manage any improvement. Edit: Used the rest of this up today, think I managed to dial it in, still a little acidity but very little bitterness and the acidity was nice through the milk in a flat white, unfortunately I only got one out of it like that before I ran out :(.

Edited by Dayks

So my Roaster for February is Vagabond.

https://vagabondcoffeeroasters.com/

Like many here I signed up for the LSOL so my next couple months will likely be filled with those Roasters.

I have been having some real difficulty with this bean, I have been getting the tannin reported by others but not much of anything else. I don't think I have these properly dialled in yet and have most of a kg left, so will be trying to get a decent cup out of it for most March as well.

Will update this with any changes and with what the coffee is once we find out.

Well the coffee was https://vagabondcoffeeroasters.com/products/latumba, I never really managed to get the hang of this coffee (like quite a few), I still have some in my freezer but I am in no rush to try it again soon.

Edited by Dayks

So my roaster for March is Hasbean, I signed up for the #SSSSS (did I get enough S's?;)) this year to give them a go.

Farami

Tarrazú, Costa Rica

Red Honey Red Catuai

Candy floss, lemon, dark chocolate.

ea29145c-2b31-47df-a256-48cfee6959b9_zpsp9kowqdh.jpg

These beans smelled delicious, unfortunately I haven't had much of a chance to make many coffees this month, my Izzo Alex started to play up this month and I only really managed to make any espressos in the first couple of weeks. From those few drinks I did manage to make, I did find some pleasant notes in this but I didn't get a chance to dial this in correctly.

Sorry to say that I didn't really get much of a chance to review these beans or roaster this month, luckily I will be getting more every month, so I will come back to this post at a later date with a new coffee.

Received a new pressurestat for my machine today and will fit tomorrow, with this hopefully curing the steam pouring from my machine and boiler hitting 2 bar.

New Year, New 12 Roaster Challenge.

Hopefully I manage to keep going for the full year this time.

Have been trying brewed in the last couple of months with my Izzo Alex still out of commission, have been getting inconsistent but sometimes good results from a V60.

Picked up a cheap Sage Duo Temp Pro on ebay (arrived last week) to use while my Alex is out of commission, have been very impressed with it so far and can confirm I do still prefer milk based drinks.

Actually enjoying the drinks from the Sage much more than from my Classic or Alex, I suspect the PID temperature control is helping me as I was never great at flushing and think I got inconsistent temperatures.

My first roaster for 2018 is the Long & Short Coffee Roastery.

(Actually had coffee from six different roasters in January but just posting one or I will run out)

I took advantage of the post by The Systematic Kid and ordered a bag of their Sanchez Gesha and two of their Ato, I went for the filter roast on both bags of the Ato as this was before I bought the Sage.

https://longandshort.london/coffee-shop/coffee/sanchez-gesha/

I have struggled with this coffee a bit, only tried as a V60 and have had at best a decent cup from it so far, finding I have to go quite coarse for it and think I still have some work to do. Will try again but has been on the back burner since I have got my Sage.

https://longandshort.london/coffee-shop/coffee/ato-ethiopia/

I have only tried this on my Sage so far and have been really impressed, shame they are now out as I would love to order the medium roast to compare.

Have been enjoying as a flat white.

15.5g in 40 out in about 35 seconds, have not been all that precise with these measurements but have not managed to get a bad cup out of it yet, close to the above though really seems to bring out a big blueberry flavour, not been getting the strawberry or the cotton candy, although it is sweet but that may be due to the blueberry drowning them out.

Going to have to try this one as a straight espresso, have never really enjoyed them in the past but coupled with the consistency of the Sage and how nice these have been, this may be my best bet.