Mrboots2u

Mrboots2u #12roasterschallenge

a6467f78101c03fedbfefcf0c6e678f5.jpg

Workshop Roasters

Had the pleasure of having four beans from Workshop this month. Worth bearing in mind that I now drink pretty much exclusive filter (v60 odd chemex and FP), with the occasional Rok espresso shot at the weekend.

La Macarena

This is an espresso roast but worked as filter for Me. As espresso raisin like sweetness , honey and nuts. Real comfort stuff . Filter brought at the some more chocolate sweetness and a nice balanced acidity.

Not terribly complex, just really gluggable.

Gatomboya Peaberry - Kenyan

Filter - Stone fruit - soft lovely sharp red berry acidity. As with a Kenyan coffee the most bitey acidity wise, but don't let this put you off, its well balanced by a lovely solero like note.

Thanks to @Xpenno for this.

Sami- kochere yirgacheffe (filter)

This has just got better and better. Filter has lovely honey finish it's sweet but start's off with nice berry acidity. Coated the mouth as it went down.Very sad when this finished.

Kelloo- sidamo ( filter )

Most complex of the three but still satisfying. For me complexity means lots of flavours bouncing around, all good and the mix I pick up can change from mouthful to mouthful. Yellow fruit bright acidity at the front, sweetness on the finish reminiscent of lemon curd.

Really good.

Recipes wise I use the same one for v60 and just adjust my grind. With the two Ethiopians I went a bit finer and the draw down time was little longer than the three minutes ish I normally look for . Worked really well for both though. With the kenyan i aimed for jut over 3 minutes and went a little coarser, Kenyan coffee can be very soluble and its easy to drift into bitter notes with it. If your drinking a Kenyan and thinking hmm this is " dark chocolate " then you have probably gone too far , back that grinder down.

V60 recipe ( stolen and adapted from @MWJB )

I tend to do about 20g to start with as I find it easier to stir at bloom. I'm using a vario with steel burrs also. So my time can be a little longer .

I use my feldgrind too, I tend to be one while turn and the. Between 3-4.

Pour wise I tend to do one circle clockwise and rest in the middle for each pour .

Recipe below.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/2016/09/04/hario-v60-recipe-for-1-mug-200g-lightmedium-filter-roasts/

So I know workshop are more " expensive " than a lot of other roasters but I think their coffee is good value. If you love filter coffee then defo try one of these . Anyway Four coffees, all blinding, I'll be back later in the year for some more.

All four are still on their website here.

https://workshopcoffee.com/collections/coffee

Edited by Mrboots2u

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Very interesting reading, I ordered the filter tasting pack a couple of days ago which has 3 of these in it, really looking forward to trying them as V60s.

I had been following Marks V60 recipe for a while already but was struggling with 15g for bloom finding dry spots and bubbles while pouring, so have naturally tended more towards 20g instead.

@MWJB are you still using 15g?

p.s. is that a photo of your cup collection? :)

Yuxo09y.jpg

Very interesting reading, I ordered the filter tasting pack a couple of days ago which has 3 of these in it, really looking forward to trying them as V60s.

I had been following Marks V60 recipe for a while already but was struggling with 15g for bloom finding dry spots and bubbles while pouring, so have naturally tended more towards 20g instead.

@MWJB are you still using 15g?

p.s. is that a photo of your cup collection? :)

I don't have a problem with a 15g bloom, pour gently, it's fine. But, I wouldn't get too hung up on bloom weight, I use 15g in the "6 pours of 35g" recipe because it leaves 210g to follow, easily divisible by 6, or 3. If I was following with 4 or 8 pours I would (& do) bloom with 25g.

You could bloom with 20g just as easily & just hit 50g after the first pour, carry on as per the recipe.

So long as the bloom is roughly 1-2x the dose weight, use the bloom weight to give you a remainder that allows you intuitive weights to follow with, so after a few brews you get a feel for the targets at key times.

Edited by MWJB

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

cartwheel.jpg

2/12 Cartwheel Roasters -Nottingham

This isn't going to be the most accessible roaster for a review, as currently you can only get their beans via the cafe in Nottingham. But I have had the chance to buy three beans and they were all really tasty in their own way and good value . So thought it would be amiss to not out something on here .

cartwheel-3.jpg

The beans come in a brown paper bag with a roast date on , they do not have a three way valve and are not air tight sealed . This does not bother me though as I have bought beans from other roasters similarly packaged before with no real ill effects. For some though I understand this is a deal breaker.

Onto the beans themselves , each comes with a detailed card, with a graded score , the beans were I think £6.50 each. All brewed as filter only v60.

Kenyan - Ngunguru AA - ( grade 90.25 ) - this bean was bright , limey , but sweet and juicy with bags of berries. If you don't like a kick of acidity in your filter then Kenyan's perhaps are not for you. If you like Kenyan's this a great example .

Columbia - El Diviso ( grade 88.5 ) - Complex , juicy ,apple like again some sweetness but with a interesting herbal like aroma and property.

Rwandan - Huye Mountain - ( Grade 88.5 ) - my favourite of the lot, orange citrus progresses into sweetness with some gentle acidity on the finish .

So if you are near the cafe , go in the food is great , you can buy some lovely great value beans , have a brew of em before you decide . A welcome addition to the randily expanding Nottingham coffee scene. Fingers crossed they progress into retail roasting soon.

Cafe at 16 Low Pavement, Nottingham, NG1 7DL

16427774_10208539201899293_1469494860187687477_n.jpg

Edited by Mrboots2u

Instagram - rjw_inc

A welcome addition to the randily expanding Nottingham coffee scene.

That's one way to expand I guess ;)

a grinder a lever and some beans

I've also been enjoying Cartwheel of late.

Had the Huye Mountain at home and it made a cracking espresso through the EK - big cherry sweetness and orange acidity.

Went in to the cafe on Monday and had a Kayon Mountain (Ethiopian natural) and it was the best espresso I've had in ages full stop (also EK, they run all drinks through the EK).

3/12 - Crankhouse Roasters - https://www.crankhousecoffee.co.uk

Thought I would do another for Feb - seeing as the last one you can't actually order from. Which these challenges I am aiming to get to get at least two bags of coffee from each roaster to give a fair play for them, from Crankhouse I ended up with two Columbians, both washed but different in flavour profile, again part of why coffee is just such a wonderful drink to explore. Even added a second brewing method to this one ( let's go mad ) breaking out my Syphon ( or glass Balloon ) after a dusty period on the shelf.

IMG_6317.jpg

These two coffees suited the fuller body that the Syphon brew brings . Been using the Prufrock recipe linked below for those that are interested. I don't have a thermapen but seem to have got the hang of temp that gives me tasty at the mo...I am using a gas burner though.

http://www.prufrockcoffee.com/syphon-brewing/

Anyway to the coffee.

Bella Lilli - Hitting all the right notes for me , Raisin sweetness , sickly honey, balanced with some nice acidity . First drink out of the bag with this one was a hit . Grind a bit coarser and you get a bigger hit of juiciness , go finder and really push that sweetness. Winner

La Reforma 1884 - Cherry and dark chocolate like a black forest gateaux. Brewed this for a guest as black coffee via the syphon and got glued straight away. Cherry going on plummy for me. Again enough acidity on the finish to keep it juicy and interesting . When i drank this coffee , i just thought hmm this is " purple " ....Little more delicate acidity form the V60 - more Black forest vibe using the Syphon.

I like the packaging too, the kind of retro colourful feel to it. In terms of price £6.50 a bag is good for coffee of this quality .

FullSizeRender.jpg

Shipping is £2.85 up to 2kg for 2-3 day delivery or £3.35 for 1kg up to 1kg , so again good value.

I know that @Xpenno had some of the Wote from here too and was raving about it.

I am not one for describing roasters as dark or light , suffice to say I didn't have much problem hitting the tasting notes on these either as V60 or Siphon , so would be happy to order again and trust the ball park descriptions from the roaster.

Based in Exeter, one to check out if you haven't already.

Instagram - rjw_inc

I've had the crankhouse Bella Lili and wrote, both on spro and both very tasty. Wote is like a bouquet of flowers, banging!!!!

DE1Pro, EK43 SSP, bloody tasty coffee!

GrindScience.com - My blog of coffee related ramblings

4/12 James Gourmet Roasters - http://jamesgourmetcoffee.com

This guy has been in specialty coffee a long time ( 1999 according to the website ) . Ashamedly I have only once tried a blend from him ( as part of Dsol i think ) .

Anyway two coffees , both filter roasts although again @Xpenno has brewed one of these as Espresso with and enjoyed too. For me brewed via v60 and syphon. Same recipes as before.

coffee.jpg

Suke Quoto - Washed Ethiopian - Floral aroma , buckets of juicy acidity and that sweetness that other people refer to as jasmine sometimes ? Can't be alot more specific than this other than stereotypical juiciness from alot of Ethiopians , This is good though . Looking at the website it looks like this one has gone now though .

coffee jg.jpg

Rwanda Buf Nyarusiza Natural - This is the bomb, a coffee to wake up to and put a spring in your step. It's sweet , it jelly tots, its 1970's sweets. For me it'a big smile of a cup. Yeah it's a natural but it's a pretty clean one. What do I mean by clean , well perhaps to some toned down , but it's aromatic without that aroma that some people find farmyardy in a natural . Not one of your into your boozy wild naturals, and there is a place in those in my heart for sure. In the end this It was delicious though .

Coffees on the site start at £5.00 and go up to £6.60 for the Rwandan .For those who drink espresso they are all under £6.00 They do weight based shipping so one bag is £1.68 2 bags £2.42 . Four bags ( 1kg ) will cost you £3.75

Would love to try again. What have i learnt ? Hipster branding and marketing can draw you in , but those guys that have been around a while are capable of roasting great coffee.

Instagram - rjw_inc

I've been drinking James Gourmet on and off since I first go into speciality (I think it was recommended to me in Colonna and Smalls - good enough recommendation for me!). Only ever had filter roasts from them and they are consistently excellent, and at those prices I'm not sure how they do it

The Rwandan is a corker. Huge hit of sweetness with currants and a bit of tropical banana rum funk. Hold in the mouth for a few secs and it explodes. Definitely a smiley coffee! Thanks for the tip.

Good prices and fast delivery. I'll being ordering from here again for sure.

5/12 Pharmacie Roasters - http://www.pharmacie.coffee

Based in Hove, brought to my attention via some posts from @Scotford. Two coffees as always to try , filter only ( Chemex - V60 and Syphon )

pharmacie.jpg

Don Miguel - Asoproa - Costa Rican Natural ( Now Sold out )

This coffee was a challenge to get to tasty for me, but i put that down to my preferences . In terms of notes it was certainly on the rich raisin and date scale . bit i stubbled to get a brew that balanced the strength I like , with sweetness and not being overpowered on the finish with this coffee. I do know a couple of other peopel that really rated this coffee , so I think this was just one that was not for to my preference and I lacked the skills to get the most out of it.

Murango - Burundi

Second coffee more than made it for it , was interested in this one as had also tried it via my local roasters Atkinsons. Took some down to cup side by side , opinion was split as to which was the tastiest but both were cracking . Floral , juicy , peachy, stone fruit, lovely acidity on the finish .

Postage wise £3.00 for a bag , have asked what the shipping is for 203 bags as the website currently seems to put it zero , I'll update when I here back from them.

Costs wise - espresso blend is £6.50 the single origins are £7-8.50. They is also a filter tasting set , which is 5 coffees each 70 g for £15.00 which may appeal to those who like variety when they order .

Based on the Burundi I would try again for sure.

Instagram - rjw_inc

6/12 Strangers Coffee Company - http://www.strangerscoffee.com

Based in Norwich and been around for a while, their name pops up on the forum from the Norfolk boys from time to time .

Three coffees the time, same rules as before , v60 and Chemex predominantly

stangers.jpg

Ehtiopia Shakisso Natural - Best of the bunch - lovely smell from the bag, not too funky farmyard. All the berries in there, sweet n the finish , fantastic example for those that like African coffee and the diversity of flavours it can bring. Not an overly clean natural , which seems to be the trend at the moment, but bags of goodness and citrus acidity on the end.

Columbia Los Congos Washed - had to work a little harder on this one , kept going finer and finer till i got there . More subtle than the natural, no surprise with it being a washed coffee. Citrus , sweet, approachable and gluggable. Not a fruit or acid bomb, quite delicate and really clean. Didn't last long, bombed through this in big chemexs brews on days off.

Brazil Fazenda Santa Barbara Natural - Didn't really get the natural element to this Brazilian, I have had some Natural Brazillians that have been bonkers off the charts, this is not one of them. If blind tasted I would have said bog standard Brazil coffee. Nuts , bakers chocolate , easy going . Big French press of this for guests and they can add milk to it as they wish. Nothing bad about this coffee, just nothing if the natural process about it . Delivered the supplied tasting notes though, so can't complain .

Price wise £7-8.50 a bag. £2 standard shipping , or free shipping if you order 750g and above. Some will say pricier than others but the Columbian and the Shakisso were worth it.

Really glad I got the chance to try this roaster after hearing good things about them for a few years.

Instagram - rjw_inc

7/12 Square Mile Roasters-https://shop.squaremilecoffee.com

Been away on holiday ( first time in along time ) to Anglesey , so took my coffee set up to ensure tastiness . V60-Hausgrind-Scales -Kettle. Timed it well, as I could take thee delicious coffees with me from Square Mile.

red cf-2.jpg

San Mayo - Nicaraguan - Washed - Lovely simple coffee, sweet caramel and juicy acidity , just delicious ....

Los Vascos - Columbian - Washed - still good but my least favourite of the three probably due to the "almond note " . Still sharp berry acidity and goof mouthful on this one .

Kimingo - Burundi - - Best of the lot absolute knock out - Stone fruits , juicy , sweet at the bottom, syrupy if the grind was right. Looked forward to every cup go this.

The notes are simple as the coffee is just tasty and easy to use.

Bags are a little more expensive per bag £12-14 . But it's 350 g per bag but shipping is free. So swings and roundabouts really , at the end of the day , its good quality coffee.

I use Squaremile a couple of times a year and often has some small samples when i swap coffee with the very generous @MWJB. Each time it really great coffee and really simple to work with , Easy to dial in , tasty . When i was making espresso, I had no problem using the filter roast for that too. People may go square mile - those light roasted London boys , but I really don't think that's the case . The coffee is well balanced and tasty, did i say in this review , its tasty coffee :). Yeah Sweet shop can be fruity and a little more bonkers depending on the blend but as with Red Brick , its always been great stuff .

Will I use again for sure. If you have not ever tried some of their single origins , then please do .

The holiday by the way was great , such a lovely place to sit and have your evening coffee or gin and tonic ...

red cf.jpg

Follow me on instagram - @lancslandscaper :)

I stil have about 100g of the Kimbingo left , first person that says they want it on here can have it post free tomorrow .

Instagram - rjw_inc

7/12 Square Mile Roasters-https://shop.squaremilecoffee.com

Been away on holiday ( first time in along time ) to Anglesey , so took my coffee set up to ensure tastiness . V60-Hausgrind-Scales -Kettle. Timed it well, as I could take thee delicious coffees with me from Square Mile.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26834[/ATTACH]

San Mayo - Nicaraguan - Washed - Lovely simple coffee, sweet caramel and juicy acidity , just delicious ....

Los Vascos - Columbian - Washed - still good but my least favourite of the three probably due to the "almond note " . Still sharp berry acidity and goof mouthful on this one .

Kimingo - Burundi - - Best of the lot absolute knock out - Stone fruits , juicy , sweet at the bottom, syrupy if the grind was right. Looked forward to every cup go this.

The notes are simple as the coffee is just tasty and easy to use.

Bags are a little more expensive per bag £12-14 . But it's 350 g per bag but shipping is free. So swings and roundabouts really , at the end of the day , its good quality coffee.

I use Squaremile a couple of times a year and often has some small samples when i swap coffee with the very generous @MWJB. Each time it really great coffee and really simple to work with , Easy to dial in , tasty . When i was making espresso, I had no problem using the filter roast for that too. People may go square mile - those light roasted London boys , but I really don't think that's the case . The coffee is well balanced and tasty, did i say in this review , its tasty coffee :). Yeah Sweet shop can be fruity and a little more bonkers depending on the blend but as with Red Brick , its always been great stuff .

Will I use again for sure. If you have not ever tried some of their single origins , then please do .

The holiday by the way was great , such a lovely place to sit and have your evening coffee or gin and tonic ...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26835[/ATTACH]

Follow me on instagram - @lancslandscaper :)

I stil have about 100g of the Kimbingo left , first person that says they want it on here can have it post free tomorrow .

Really enjoyed reading your review. I'm a big fan if SM.

Loved your holiday pic too!

And I would love your spare Kimbingo if no one gets in before me!

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband / 

Great, Thank you very much indeed x

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband / 

Is that the v60 02 in your picture? I'm toying with ordering the Burundi from Square Mile. What recipe did you use for it?

Re v60 dunno to be honest. Re recipe see post 1. It's linked there under mwjb . I let the Burundi run a little

Longer than 3.10 was around 3.30 ish . Found that grinding a little finer brought extra sweetness.

Instagram - rjw_inc

When you take the photos for your post do you just take what you see ? or do you actually stage them e.g. Light angles and subject matter (what items in the shot ) ?

¿ ǝsǝɥʇ pɐǝɹ ǝuoʎuɐ sǝop

When you take the photos for your post do you just take what you see ? or do you actually stage them e.g. Light angles and subject matter (what items in the shot ) ?

With the coffee stuff , if i see a nice piece of light/shadow when i am making a drink , it will make me think oooh a cup will go nice there . The cup on the stairs for example I was sitting on the stairs drinking my coffee and i put i down and then went " oooh nice light " . I dint really stage stuff , i tend to see something and quickly get my camera , rather than think " today i must take a coffee photo "

Does that jabber make any sense at all?

Instagram - rjw_inc

Yes totally , was just being curious as your photos always seem to stand out and I always seem to gaze into them in a curious and envious way .

¿ ǝsǝɥʇ pɐǝɹ ǝuoʎuɐ sǝop

8/12 Avenue Coffee Roasting - http://avenue.coffee

Tasted across May and June . Both Naturals one cleanish ones and more funky still damm tasty . Avenue based in Glasgow will be familiar to alot of forum users as they did a LSOL last year. They have changed roasters at least twice I think in the last two years but the coffee still has remained tasty.

As always filter brewed - v60 - are recipe as in the first post .

Finca La Fe San Juan - Natural - Peru - the more bonkers of the two - blueberry and a sparkling like lemonade finish to it .

Kochere- Kore - Natural - Ethiopia - Little cleaner but classic Ethiopian natural . Red berries sweet and a punch of fruit acidity that put a smile on my face. Likely old crop ( as most Ehtiopian beans are at the moment but still cup full of sunshine.

avenue_.jpg

Avenue roast for filter and espresso and bags are 225g each, so keep that in mind when ordering.

Blends start at £5.95 and single origins go up to £8.00 ish. I know Sky Scaper espresso has been a firm favourite for a few and for those that like a more sweet chocolatey profile then Beatson Blend could be worth trying , lists as dark chocolate , raisin and nuts , with £1 going to the Beaton Cancer Charity

http://avenue.coffee/shop/beatson-cafe-blend-250g/

Shipping I think is still free and is 2-5 days. Plenty of brew guides and other info on the site worth checking to.

Defo go back when new crop stuff arrives . Their Rocko Mountain 2 years ago was absolutely blinding as an example , so worth seeing what the new African beans that are staring to hit the roasters

Next up , the Tin tin branded beans of Taylor and Jorgensen

Edited by Mrboots2u

Instagram - rjw_inc