aaroncornish

E8 with a mind of it's own

I came down this morning to a worktop covered in coffee grinds and couldnt work out why.

Then I started to hear an odd noise when I was in the lounge.

Turns out it was my E8 grinding on it's own. It was set to a .2 second grind time which I use to top up the basket.

I switched the button to change it to my 4.5second grind time to see what that did. Turns out that resulted in even more coffee on the worktop.

I assumed it was perhaps a temprental portafilter switched, but then it started beeping constantly at me with and without grinding.

Clearly a gremlin in there somewhere. It has not got wet or been mistreated in any way recently to warrant this unruly behaviour.

I am a bit stuck with regard to next steps as I was very lucky to have won this grinder from a forum raffle in 2015. So no idea about where to go for warranty or support.

Anyone else seen such odd behaviour?

Profitec 700 | Compak E8

That grinder came from conti in april of 2015, I believe it came with a 1 year warranty but I can check for you, foundry might also be able to help out as a compak retailer

AKA Toffee chips

I came down this morning to a worktop covered in coffee grinds and couldnt work out why.

Then I started to hear an odd noise when I was in the lounge.

Turns out it was my E8 grinding on it's own. It was set to a .2 second grind time which I use to top up the basket.

I switched the button to change it to my 4.5second grind time to see what that did. Turns out that resulted in even more coffee on the worktop.

I assumed it was perhaps a temprental portafilter switched, but then it started beeping constantly at me with and without grinding.

Clearly a gremlin in there somewhere. It has not got wet or been mistreated in any way recently to warrant this unruly behaviour.

I am a bit stuck with regard to next steps as I was very lucky to have won this grinder from a forum raffle in 2015. So no idea about where to go for warranty or support.

Anyone else seen such odd behaviour?

Frank at Ferrari Espresso fixed my old K3; good guy.

The Artist Formerly Known As 'jonc' | All the gear, almost no idea.

pooch and pup been having midnight espresso parties?

BOOM! You've just been onomatopoeia'd

pooch and pup been having midnight espresso parties?

Possibly! Puppy is still in the habit of weeing everywhere :/

Profitec 700 | Compak E8

Possibly! Puppy is still in the habit of weeing everywhere :/

a sure sign of excessive espresso intake, although even more linked to filter drinkers. Have you checked to see if the grind size has been changed?

Thanks Coffeechap :)

Tried this afternoon, but no answer so will try tomorrow for you

AKA Toffee chips

In reply to your post, I have had no issues whatsoever, I tend to have the power button in the on position as well so any spurious signals would cause the same effects that you are experiencing .

Do you have any other electrical device nearby or within the vicinity of the grinder , how's your wiring in your house ?

check polarity if possible

is the touch pad clean and or have you removed any protective cover (screen cover)

¿ ǝsǝɥʇ pɐǝɹ ǝuoʎuɐ sǝop

Touch pad is clean.

Wiring is pretty good as far as I know. It's in the kitchen extension and the RCD is relatively modern looking.

No new devices in the area.

I have a socket tester so will hook it up.

Thanks for the advice

Profitec 700 | Compak E8

Buggar - forgot to unplug it last night. Woken up at 5am by phantom grinding. Have tried it on a new socket now - no issues so far but it was only on for an hour or so

Profitec 700 | Compak E8

Is this happening from the centre (off) position on the rocker switch or the on-demand position? i.e. lights on or off?

Hey Nick

Lights on/on demand mode.

I might take the front cover off of the control panel and make sure there is nothing untoward in there, like a spider or something.

Thanks

Aaron

Profitec 700 | Compak E8

You shouldn't really leave grinders on all of the time, it is best to turn them over night or foe prolonged periods of no use.

AKA Toffee chips

You shouldn't really leave grinders on all of the time, it is best to turn them over night or foe prolonged periods of no use.

I don't normally. Got puppy brain and man flu so forgot to turn it off.

:)

Profitec 700 | Compak E8

I don't normally. Got puppy brain and man flu so forgot to turn it off.

:)

Ouch two dissorders at once! Any mortal man would fold :yuk:

AKA Toffee chips

Spoke to Chris at Conti who said the gr Next came with their commercial warranty of one year. My suggestion is to turn it on only when you need to use it which will prevent that situation happening again.

AKA Toffee chips