Just received notification from Reiss that my LR has been sent and will be arriving on Monday! :act-up:

Big surprise for me, though, as I thought that mine was going to be in the second batch!

The problem I have now though is that, having sold my old machine and given the previous 'coffee kitchen space' over to SWMBO, I have only just started building the new 'coffee area' in the dining room as I was thinking that I still had quite a while to complete it!

Looks like its going to be a busy weekend if I'm going to be ready for the new arrival in a couple of days! Very nice problem to have though!

Like you say a nice problem to have ,Not many people saying 'roll on Monday ' at the start of the weekend .

¿ ǝsǝɥʇ pɐǝɹ ǝuoʎuɐ sǝop

Nice ! I'm thinking unless a used l1 comes up this weekend I might order the LR, I sold my giotto a few weeks ago and the cafetiere just isn't hitting the spot, the second batch are being built at the end of feb so I'll still have a wait but It'll be worth it

Nice ! I'm thinking unless a used l1 comes up this weekend I might order the LR, I sold my giotto a few weeks ago and the cafetiere just isn't hitting the spot, the second batch are being built at the end of feb so I'll still have a wait but It'll be worth it

put up a wanted ad , someone might be thinking of taking the upgrade option

¿ ǝsǝɥʇ pɐǝɹ ǝuoʎuɐ sǝop

the second batch are being built at the end of feb so I'll still have a wait but It'll be worth it

It is indeed, I am loving my L-R such a quiet pump, loads of body, just fab

AKA Toffee chips

If I buy the lr I think I will get the 2 hole steam tip, is there anything else anyone would recommend buying at the same to avoid the postage charge? I think you just get a double basket and a potafilter on the website it has 18gr vst and ims shower screen etc

Ian, I think you will find that the L-R ships with just a bottomless pf so a double will be an extra at about £55 from memory.

Not essential by any means but I am a fan of the 35micron IMS shower screen so maybe worth getting. Also perhaps grab a service kit for group seals.

Edit I now see you said double basket not double spout pf.

Londinium - R, Monolith MC3, Two Jugs, One TempTag, Nine Assorted And Much Sought After MildredM Bar Towels

Give Lee at foundry a shout and see if he can put a package together to your spec.

BOOM! You've just been onomatopoeia'd

Give Lee at foundry a shout and see if he can put a package together to your spec.

^ That's what I have done.

Londinium - R, Monolith MC3, Two Jugs, One TempTag, Nine Assorted And Much Sought After MildredM Bar Towels

probably a daft question but whats the benefit of the ims shower screen? and the 18g vst?

The IMS screens offer improved distribution of flow. The 200 micron is perforated rather than a woven mesh and is somewhat easier to keep clean than other OEM screens. The 35 micron is a woven mesh but its actually finer than the 200 micron. From a cleanliness / maintenance point of view, the bottom of my L1 piston never got particularly dirty when I used the 200 but I would imagine that the 35 will keep it even cleaner. I seem to recall that Reiss recommends the 35 for levers rather than for pump machines.

I got two-hole steam tip, vst basket, and 35 screen and I wouldn't buy any of it again. I would only buy two-hole tip if usually steaming enough milk for one drink. If you usually steam for two drinks at a time, then 4-hole tip is right one. Just my opinion. I would highly recommend a hex screwdriver, the included allen key is a pain.

Rather than the stock IMS screens, I would recommend the Cafelat IMS lever screen which IMHO is far superior given the hole pattern which for me gives a much more even flow.

Like you say a nice problem to have ,Not many people saying 'roll on Monday ' at the start of the weekend .

It just got even better...I've just had a visit from a nice DHL man!! He said that parcels were piling up for Monday so they were given some extra time to deliver the parcels in my area today instead!

Just finished the last coat of Oil on my new installation for the LR but I'm out at an event tonight so unpacking will have to wait until the morning! :D

Although for some reason I belive the IMS screen keeps everything cleaner , in reality it doesn't get that dirty piston side anyhow due to the characteristics of how a spring lever works .

A simple removal of the shower screen a quick wipe and away you go .

This in turn is just one of the reasons I have been a lever convert ever since .

¿ ǝsǝɥʇ pɐǝɹ ǝuoʎuɐ sǝop

For those of you that are interested in the difference of the grab when the L-R has been set to 3 bar preinfusion pressure and 1 bar boiler pressure.....

The new rotary pump is really quiet and really quick!

AKA Toffee chips

That's quite a bit of difference , is that down to a greater pressure produced in the group ? Or as I suspect more volume of water?

¿ ǝsǝɥʇ pɐǝɹ ǝuoʎuɐ sǝop

The greater pressure gives a better and quicker complete saturation of the puck which in turn gives greater volume. What is interesting is that the sweet spot on the shot has broadened due to a greater band with of pressure on the shot, so now the shot begins at a slightly higher start pressure as the spring is working from a more compressed start position.

AKA Toffee chips

Lots of interesting info about grab.

In this video you see the same group (dipper config with boiler pressure PI ~1.2bar) with similar lever grab and >50g volume out. So hard to know what is true or not...

Lots of interesting info about grab.

In this video you see the same group (dipper config with boiler pressure PI ~1.2bar) with similar lever grab and >50g volume out. So hard to know what is true or not...

There is quite a difference in what happens before lifting the lever in the two videos. The Cafelat video shows a much longer pre-infusion which ends after the puck has begun to drip. The R1 pre-infusion is shorter and does not seem to end with dripping. The result is the same though in that both pucks are fully infused, which allows the lever to grab at a lower point.

My speculation is that lighter coffees, ground very fine to help with extraction, benefit from the 3-bar pressure provided by the rotary pump. Darker coffees, which don't need to be ground so fine to extract well, should enable a low lever grab with the boiler pressure of the original L1 (and the new seals). In fact, Rees says that you won't taste any difference in the cup between the two machines unless you use large doses of light coffee.

Matt

Londinium 1, Monolith Flat, Pharos, Lido 3, Chemex, V60, Ikawa Home Roaster, Atago Barista

Lots to speculate in the Paul Pratt video, what dose was he using, mine was 18gram in 18gram VST, what roast level, darker roasts are much easier to extract than lighter roasts (I was using a light roasted Brazilian), I wonder what the shot tasted like that managed to get a 50g output in 1min 15 seconds of shot, as above look how long the preinfusion was! 16 seconds compared to 6 on the LR

Edited by coffeechap

AKA Toffee chips

Ok another little clip for those that are interested.

Light roasted Brazilian, 5 second Pre-infusion 45 second total shot time, 60g output, however desired output of 34g achieved in 30 seconds.

AKA Toffee chips

And finally a big dose shot (21g)

AKA Toffee chips

Big dose with a set of spouts , now that would be handy

must resist

¿ ǝsǝɥʇ pɐǝɹ ǝuoʎuɐ sǝop