joordn

Dual boiler shots too heavy

Weight your pf or basket after you have ground the coffee into it.

Yeah I do weigh it after I have ground the coffee and tamped but I mean when I press the grind button on the sage smart grinder pro some of the coffee falls all over the place rather than going in the portafilter... is that meant to happen?

when I grind some of the coffee spews out of the portafilter.... are there any good ways of getting around that? Or is that the benefit of a more expensive grinder?

Thanks

You need a portafilter funnel. There are loads of options from £££ to free. They all do the same thing - catch the coffee as it comes out and funnel it into the basket. In price order -

1 - Coffee Catcha: metal funnel/ring with a handle that sits on top of the basket and doesn't interfere with the edges of the basket. Short flared edge catches most stray coffee and you can tamp through it if you want (I just tap and shake or stir mine) Not cheap but nice. Systemic Kid very kindly gave me his and that is what I use.

2 - a 3d printed funnel along similar lines. There was a fella on here making them to order a while ago.

3 - a yoghurt pot with the bottom cut off. DavecUK gave me something similar: a funny little Asian dessert called Cocon, whose pots are, er, 'cock-on' for making these. The plastic is thin enough not to really mess with the edges, and the tapered sides mean you can cut it to exactly the right diameter (to fit a 58mm basket). It's quite narrow at the top but adds enough height to keep a 'mound' from collapsing over the edge. Does sit inside the basket so you can't tamp through it and it can catch the edges of the puck, but that's not really the thing to do anyway - just tap the PF till all the grinds are level, remove Cocon and tamp.

I have a very expensive grinder and it still sprays coffee everywhere when it's in the mood so don't worry about that. Just sort yourself out with a suitable catcher.

Edited by hotmetal

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Never had such an issue with my Smart Grinder Pro. The coffee falls slap bang in the middle of the basket and I give it a shake every now and then whilst it's dispensing the grounds into the basket to help even it up and prevent a central stack being created.