Well we can take the Japanese for this example, since the adoption of western food which has only really happened recently, the people that consume the most are getting fat, in fact its a craze. of course this is mainly wheat that seems to be the cause the cause.

Im also pretty sure that type 2 diabetes is caused by constantly eating things that raise blood sugar levels causing insulin to be released which in turn causes insulin resistance. A cheeky bit of fasting and cutting out snacks (mainly simple carbs as these are the biggest culprits) can certainly put the condition into remission.

Adoption of easily consumable sources of calories that are easy to over consume. The problem is not unique to wheat or carbs. In fact if you look at food consumption data we're eating more calories from fat yet people continue to blame carbs/sugar/insulin

The two biggest risk factors for developing T2 diabetes are:

1. Inactivity

2. Being overweight

It can easily be resolved by adding in some activity and losing weight by adhering to a diet lower in calories, regardless of it's composition.

What’s this obsession with grass fed butter, meat and dairy?

Just to chime in: correlation does not imply causation. You could probably bear that in mind when discussing the bulk of what I’ve read here. Then Japanese may well have adopted western foods recently but the pressure on the population to work long hours has also increased. It means additional stress (2nd highest rate of suicide in industrialised nations) and inactivity.

Day by day, my faith in humanity diminishes...

I kid, I never had any in the first place.

This looks to me as the usual internet marketing scheme:

1) Take something that already exists

2) Give it a slight spin that sounds science-y and is based on some real facts (I'm guessing just so you can't get sued)*

3) Add some fancy names to otherwise common items so it appears as you're the sole source of those.

4) Buy candidate 'leads' (because I want to be nice) people off of facebook/google**

5) Profit!

I've only been looking into the coffee scene for less than a year, and man is it's overflowing with marketing schemes.

You should see how they market their marketing skills to each other. And then how they market their marketing skills of marketing to other marketers.

It never ends!

[*] "Comes packed dihydrogen monoxide, not getting enough can kill you!"

[**] Did you know that 'good leads' are THE most valuable asset in these marketing schemes? Your info is often to be "bought" from other marketers with affiliate rates that actually produce a loss on the first sale.

Did I say "buy"? I mis-spoke, that would be illegal! It's actually "shared with our partners to improve our service to you".

What’s this obsession with grass fed butter, meat and dairy?

Doesn't this come from the US of A where general meat production is less than ideal unless you pay through the nose for it? chlorine washed, antibiotic this and that etc.

Just to chime in: correlation does not imply causation. You could probably bear that in mind when discussing the bulk of what I’ve read here. Then Japanese may well have adopted western foods recently but the pressure on the population to work long hours has also increased. It means additional stress (2nd highest rate of suicide in industrialised nations) and inactivity.

Theres also no smoke without fire. We can look at very poorly prepared data and come up with the same nonsense that says eat this and that and be in optimal health....but I really don't have a f**k available for it. Also conditions are improving in Japan, suicide rates are down to their lowest (by their standards).

Adoption of easily consumable sources of calories that are easy to over consume. The problem is not unique to wheat or carbs. In fact if you look at food consumption data we're eating more calories from fat yet people continue to blame carbs/sugar/insulin

I eat more calories from fat, in fact I don't eat many carbs and since May this year I have lost 35Kg's, my hypertension has gone, my cholesterol has normalised and my blood sugar has gone from pre-diabetic to normal (4.8) On this point i to your point deficit my calories, but only by 20% of whats considered normal.

Doesn't this come from the US of A where general meat production is less than ideal unless you pay through the nose for it? chlorine washed, antibiotic this and that etc.

Theres also no smoke without fire. We can look at very poorly prepared data and come up with the same nonsense that says eat this and that and be in optimal health....but I really don't have a f**k available for it. Also conditions are improving in Japan, suicide rates are down to their lowest (by their standards).

I eat more calories from fat, in fact I don't eat many carbs and since May this year I have lost 35Kg's, my hypertension has gone, my cholesterol has normalised and my blood sugar has gone from pre-diabetic to normal (4.8) On this point i to your point deficit my calories, but only by 20% of whats considered normal.[/color]

It's the calorie reduction that's done the magic. Good old thermodynamics.

If you find a higher fat diet to your taste and easy to stick to that's fine. Other's get the same outcome with a diet higher in carbohydrates and lower in fats.

Your calorie consumption is 20% below the RDA and mainly from fats? What was is before, and has your activity increased or remained roughly the same?
Just for clarity Rob there is a recommended calorie intake but suitable individual intakes will vary wildly depending on activity and lifestyle.

Without rehashing or going into loads of detail on the minutia of people’s comments, most, if not all, fad diets tend to work very well by tricking the consumer into thinking there is something special about the diet wrt fat loss (paleo, no carb and fit teas in particular spring to mind) when in reality all they tend to do is change eating habits bringing daily intake well below, often unhealthily so, your maintenance calorie requirement

Without rehashing or going into loads of detail on the minutia of people’s comments, most, if not all, fad diets tend to work very well by tricking the consumer into thinking there is something special about the diet wrt fat loss (paleo, no carb and fit teas in particular spring to mind) when in reality all they tend to do is change eating habits bringing daily intake well below, often unhealthily so, your maintenance calorie requirement
This x 1000.

Nice to see someone with a critical thinking mindset.

Your calorie consumption is 20% below the RDA and mainly from fats? What was is before, and has your activity increased or remained roughly the same?

RDA lol, about as useful as BMI

i have a lot of calories from fat because density is 9 per gram instead of 4. I eat a fair amount of protein, veggies, cream in coffee etc. (no butter in coffee, because, well thats just stupid)

To be honest everyone has an opinion on health and everyone thinks they know what's best for everyone else and what's nonsense. personally i do what i think is best for me, its working, my doctor is happy and thats ok by me.

Things i'm not, are ill informed or stupid.

This statement was brought to you by wine and Baileys.

i have a lot of calories from fat because density is 9 per gram instead of 4. I eat a fair amount of protein, veggies, cream in coffee etc. (no butter in coffee, because, well thats just stupid)

To be honest everyone has an opinion on health and everyone thinks they know what's best for everyone else and what's nonsense. personally i do what i think is best for me, its working, my doctor is happy and thats ok by me.

Things i'm not, are ill informed or stupid.

This statement was brought to you by wine and Baileys.

This is brought to you by cheese and port.

But, RDAs are generally levels prescribed to prevent dietary deficiencies. So not quite that useless.

And contrary to popular belief BMI is a pretty solid predictor of health for most people. Only naturally thin people or athletes really don't fit it.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion on diet, just everyone isn't entitled to their own facts. And like many areas of science there's some pretty established facts around diet and nutrition, just most of it gets lost in the noise of the media.

Established facts at some point in history, the world is flat, leeches fix all ill's, radium, healthy glowing teeth. there are sooo many more.

Science is there to be challenged and soo are the "known facts" because if they are not we dont move forward.

Do you really subscribe to the belief that we know everything there is to know about the human body, how hormones interact with nutrition etc.? Standardised government advice is hardly agile, it sometimes takes decades to update with current "known facts"

Established facts at some point in history, the world is flat, leeches fix all ill's, radium, healthy glowing teeth. there are sooo many more.

Science is there to be challenged and soo are the "known facts" because if they are not we dont move forward.

Do you really subscribe to the belief that we know everything there is to know about the human body, how hormones interact with nutrition etc.? Standardised government advice is hardly agile, it sometimes takes decades to update with current "known facts"

There have been some quite recent discoveries as you allude to, like the fact that bodyfat isn't inert as once thought and an endocrine organ in it's own right. It's secretes "Leptin" or the master metabolism hormone.

But as for diet and hormones we know how that influence things like insulin and leptin etc very very well at this point. What isn't so well understood is individual variance, as in why some people thrive on certain diets and others struggle.

If there's one thing for certain humans can and do thrive on extremely diverse diets. Just look at the blue zone populations.

The difference is that the scientific process nowadays only grants conjecture with the status of ‘fact’ when it stands up to tests for failure with accuracy of 3-5 standard deviations from the mean.

TLDR: facts nowadays aren’t colloquial ‘knowledge’ but evidence based and tested repeatedly for failure

my only ask is that people do not rest on their laurels and not be closed minded to the opinion of others just because its different to their own thinking or what they previously studied. as for blue zone populations, i read that there was some thoughts that presumed they digested certain things like rice differently to westerners for example. which makes kind of sense if you sign up to the theory of evolution and not "the world was created 4000 years ago"

my only ask is that people do not rest on their laurels and not be closed minded to the opinion of others just because its different to their own thinking or what they previously studied. as for blue zone populations, i read that there was some thoughts that presumed they digested certain things like rice differently to westerners for example. which makes kind of sense if you sign up to the theory of evolution and not "the world was created 4000 years ago"

The first part of your statement is the very basis of the scientific method. Question everything, even established "facts" but as Toby said we do have established evidence these days.

As for rice, it's just starch, or a long chain of glucose molecules. The Asians aren't unique in their ability to digest it. I think you're thinking more northern europeans and the lactase mutation that allowed us to adopt dairy as a viable food source.

I thought of that also, but you look at staples of populations and over time the body deals with it differently to population that have evolved with different staples.

Now in a purist utopia, this basis of fact may well stand up, but in the world of conglomo-paid-for-research and lobbying i'm not soo sure, i'm not a conspiracy theorist, but definitely a skeptic. and result take way too long to be given as the "new advice".

Well I can agree on that with exception to ATZ point about athletes. I asked the question because you wrote

I eat more calories from fat, in fact I don't eat many carbs and since May this year I have lost 35Kg's, my hypertension has gone, my cholesterol has normalised and my blood sugar has gone from pre-diabetic to normal (4.8) On this point i to your point deficit my calories, but only by 20% of whats considered normal.

I'm asking if 20% below RDA is the same as 'what's considered normal'. And if so, were you consuming calories beyond 'what is considered normal' previous to the dietary change?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 21/01/2018 at 06:27, jay_kendrick said:

I found it to be quite smooth and less 'edgy' than standard coffee. Worth trying in my opinion.

Agree with that. Just want to know does anybody try it with coconut butter? I think that it's the best coffee I've ever tryed