Sign in to follow this  
fluffles

fluffles #12roasterschallenge

Got a few bags in at the moment, but I'm going for Sundlaug El Salvador Los Pirineos.

7ff35943084ffae53c7b05720cb07aa6.jpg

I normally go for fruit-forward coffees, but every now and then I crave something a bit cuddlier and this has fit the bill perfectly.

As pour over it's quite big on the nutty 'praline' element, with the milk chocolate and a gentle acidity.

As (EK) espresso it has been really forgiving, at lower extractions the plum acidity is to the fore but still nice and sweet. As I've pushed it further, the chocolate sweetness comes through more and the plum fades away a little. Both delicious. Current recipe is 17g/43g/28s. Makes for a lovely milk drink too - sweet caramel, nuts and chocolate.

Can't fault it at all. It has delivered everything it said on the bag and has been delicious across all brew methods. Sundlaug are very consistent and for me are right up there with the best of them.

Not heard of Sundlaug before - will check them out. Its the beauty of this challenge we learn about new roasters up & down the country.

A machine, a grinder & some beans

Workshop Coffee

I'm trying to branch out and use different roasters than I normally do. I saw @Mrboots2u's post on Workshop and sounded delicious so thought I'd give them a go.

Gatamboya - washed Kenyan - I love Kenyans and I really liked the sound of this one. Something a bit different from your typical Kenyan - caramelised peaches, fresh strawberry, juicy, sweet. Lovely as filter as you would expect, I also managed to coax a really lovely espresso out of it too. In milk it made for a real eye-opener of a cappa - fruity but still so clean and bright which you don't tend to get when using fruity naturals.

Kelloo - washed Ethiopian. I often find washed Ethiopians hard to pin down to definite tasting notes. Sweet, gentle acidity, yellow and orange fruits, sugary lemon, honey sweetness. Inevitably lose some of the complexity as spro, but still delicious hit of yellow fruits and honey.

Both seem to be sold out now. I will definitely be using Workshop again.

Bit late submitting, but my march entry is James Gourmet.

Saw a lot posted about the Rwandan BUF natural so had to give it go. Really lived up to expectations, one of the cleanest naturals i can remember tasting. Sweet strawberry and a little red cherry, with just enough acidity to keep it from being cloyingly over sweet. Described on the website as tasting of jelly babies and i can't argue.

Equally good as spro or filter, a real winner. One of the few times I've considered immediately reordering the same coffee!

I've just got stuck into some JG BUF, and much appreciating it.

First time for JG for me and I'd concur with your thoughts.

Just out of interest what espresso recipe did you settle on?

I haven't pulled a bad shot yet, but I'd still be interested in what you found...

L1-P | E10 | VST | Feldgrind | Kalita

I've just got stuck into some JG BUF, and much appreciating it.

First time for JG for me and I'd concur with your thoughts.

Just out of interest what espresso recipe did you settle on?

I haven't pulled a bad shot yet, but I'd still be interested in what you found...

I think it was 16-35g-30+ seconds. To be fair almost all my espresso recipes are around this mark since lowering the pressure.

In April I have been drinking a lot (rather fittingly) from April Coffee Roasters. It was the LSOL bean, but Patrik also kindly sent me some samples of two other coffees:

Colombia La Alsacia (Washed)

A good all-rounder that brewed up really well as filter, espresso and in milk. Lots of brown sugar sweetness, a little nutty, a little milk chocolate and a nice juicy acidity to finish. I found with the espresso that a finer grind would lose the acidity, so I kept it relatively coarse. Quite a crowd-pleasing coffee.

Kenya Baragwi (Washed)

Had a couple of attempts at espresso but couldn't tame it, so thought I would concentrate on brewed only. Purple fruits and a definite hit of rosewater. Possibly hint of peach. A slight earthy quality at higher extractions. Quite sweet for a Kenyan and not as bright as some.

Brazil Da Torre

Classic Brazil here. Dark chocolate with a very feint yellow-fruit acidity on cooling. Hints of orange zest.

April are quite often stocked by my local cafe, I will definitely seek them out again.

Man that Alsacia was immense

'it's all about the microbubbubbles'

My roaster for May is Square Mile. Despite their reputation and relative ubiquity in London, I had never before had any coffee from them. I decided to sign up for their Colombian Short Stories series - three coffees from different farms in Colombia, roasted for espresso.

Each coffee comes with a nice booklet describing the farm in terms of its physical terrain, the people that work there and the methods they use to harvest and process.

1. Rodrigo Figueroa - washed - "Brown sugar, Orange, Syrupy"

I can't really improve on those tasting notes, it describes perfectly what I had in the cup. 16g - 34g - 28s @ 6 bar - a lovely sweet coffee. The notes that come with the coffees mention that this is the lowest grown of the three coffees, and this is perhaps reflected in its style. High on sweetness and relatively low on complexity, but super quaffable. Excellent in milk too.

2. Miguel Luna - washed - "Almond, Stone Fruit, Winter Spice"

Grown at a slightly higher altitude at 1750m. There's a video on the website that shows how steep the terrain is on the farm, its quite incredible. 16g - 36g - 26s @ 6 bar. In the cup there's a little more acidity than the first coffee, but still lots of sweetness. The almond is more of a praline thing for me, rather than out-and-out almonds or marzipan.

The third coffee hasn't arrive yet, I'll update again when I've had a chance to try it.

I think Square Mile really know what they're doing when roasting for espresso. I've been wanting to get some SQ beans for awhile but don't like the idea of buying a bean unsuitable for filter.

I think Square Mile really know what they're doing when roasting for espresso. I've been wanting to get some SQ beans for awhile but don't like the idea of buying a bean unsuitable for filter.

There filter roasts work a treat with an ek for espresso too

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

There filter roasts work a treat with an ek for espresso too

That's free radical man! I may be tempted

My roaster for May is Square Mile. Despite their reputation and relative ubiquity in London, I had never before had any coffee from them. I decided to sign up for their Colombian Short Stories series - three coffees from different farms in Colombia, roasted for espresso.

Each coffee comes with a nice booklet describing the farm in terms of its physical terrain, the people that work there and the methods they use to harvest and process.

1. Rodrigo Figueroa - washed - "Brown sugar, Orange, Syrupy"

I can't really improve on those tasting notes, it describes perfectly what I had in the cup. 16g - 34g - 28s @ 6 bar - a lovely sweet coffee. The notes that come with the coffees mention that this is the lowest grown of the three coffees, and this is perhaps reflected in its style. High on sweetness and relatively low on complexity, but super quaffable. Excellent in milk too.

2. Miguel Luna - washed - "Almond, Stone Fruit, Winter Spice"

Grown at a slightly higher altitude at 1750m. There's a video on the website that shows how steep the terrain is on the farm, its quite incredible. 16g - 36g - 26s @ 6 bar. In the cup there's a little more acidity than the first coffee, but still lots of sweetness. The almond is more of a praline thing for me, rather than out-and-out almonds or marzipan.

The third coffee hasn't arrive yet, I'll update again when I've had a chance to try it.

Had a chance to drink the final coffee in the series now...

Rodrigo Yandi - washed - "Mixed Berries, Grape, Fresh"

The highest grown of the three at 1900m, this is said to make for a more delicate and acidity driven coffee. From the descriptor I was expecting something a bit more zingy, it's certainly more lively than the others in the series but nothing too challenging. They recommend brewing beyond the usual 1:2 for this so I thought I would give traditional EK gushers a go (not something I've dabbled with very much). Ended up grinding at 2.4 (way out from where I normally am) and pulling 16g>42g>18 seconds @ 5.5bar for a 8.07 TDS and 21.95% EY - found a nice balance of acidity and sweetness here.

Didn't manage to hit a new roaster in June due to a backlog of coffees that needed drinking, so I will have to try and play catch up.

July's (first) roaster is Curve. My only previous experience of Curve was their LSOL offering last year, which was absolutely knock out. I've been craving some Ethiopian coffee lately so I went with:

Curve - Duromina - washed - Roasters notes: Tea-like, bergamot, orange blossom honey, peach, demerara sugar

Drinking this exclusively as filter. A very delicate and finely balanced coffee. Quite restrained, nothing leaps out of the cup at you but that is one of the joys of washed Ethiopians for me - slightly ethereal, seem to get something different with every sip. Definitely has a honey sweetness, and I understand the orange blossom tasting note. Apricot acidity. Don't get much bergamot though. Very nice.

Struggling to keep up, I clearly don't drink as much as everyone else!

My August entry is Foundry (needs no introduction).

Ethiopia Guji Highlands (Natural). I'm not the biggest lover of naturals - some I like, some I'm not so keen on. This one I like. I tend to prefer naturals as espresso, but this is enjoyable for me in all its forms. Best descriptor for this coffee is "fun". High fruit sweetness (cherries, super-ripe fresh figs) with enough citrusy acidity to keep it refreshing. Today's Kalita was ground at 9 o'clock on the EK, 15g > 260g 95C > 3 minute brew 1.47 TDS 23.07% EY

Struggling to keep up, I clearly don't drink as much as everyone else!

My August entry is Foundry (needs no introduction).

Ethiopia Guji Highlands (Natural). I'm not the biggest lover of naturals - some I like, some I'm not so keen on. This one I like. I tend to prefer naturals as espresso, but this is enjoyable for me in all its forms. Best descriptor for this coffee is "fun". High fruit sweetness (cherries, super-ripe fresh figs) with enough citrusy acidity to keep it refreshing. Today's Kalita was ground at 9 o'clock on the EK, 15g > 260g 95C > 3 minute brew 1.47 TDS 23.07% EY

I really liked the Guji but it gets blown away by the rocko for me, particularly as brewed. The Guji is a yummy espresso.

Falling behind again, so having failed to do a roaster per month I will go by numbers. Roaster no.8 is Caravan.

Ethiopia - Deri Kochoha (Washed).

Must stop buying Ethiopians! This will be my last for a while (maybe). I've been drinking this solely as brewed as I have lots of other espresso beans. Very sweet, getting a definite raspberry acidity with some nice orangey notes. As ever with washed Ethiopians, it's all very delicate.

Treated myself to the Caravan Twin Peaks pack which is due fairly soon, will update again when I've had a chance to brew it up

Update on Caravan Twin Peaks (Panama):

Tekisic (natural) - Unusual variety, but disappointing coffee. Struggled to get the promised fruit (strawberry, compote, feijoa) - it all tasted a bit roasty to me.

Geisha (washed) - Lovely - typical geisha flavours. Apricot, Peach, Jasmin. Ethereal.

The Geisha was good, but the Tekisic let it down and ultimately not worth the price tag.

Roaster no.9 Craft House Coffee

Rwanda Rugali - honey process. This was the LSOL bean, so won't go into great detail as it's all in the LSOL thread. One thing I really liked about this coffee was that it seemed to have a really big sweet spot. Filter, Espresso and different grinds would all produce a tasty cup. Will order again from CHC sometime soon. Also good in milk, and approved by the wife (who is only just starting to drink coffee)

Roaster no.10 Ditta Artigianale (Italy). I was emailed an offer from Barista Hustle to get a Superlatives delivery at half price, so thought I'd give it a go.

Costa Rica El Diamante (Anaerobic fermentation). Supplied tasting notes: "Apple pie"

Some new fermentation process (which I only vaguely understand), but what does it mean in the cup? Well, I really loved this coffee. Only brewed this as filter and got a distinctive hit of cinammon on the nose and the palate. As it cooled there was a lovely stewed Bramley apple acidity, so I totally get the "Apple pie" descriptor. Probably my favourite coffee so far this year.

Roaster no.11 Rave Coffee (UK). I lent them my EK alignment tool and it was kindly returned it with three bags of coffee.

Burundi Kibingo - Honey.

I was looking forward to this one as it sounded good, but I've struggled to get it right. Couldn't bring out the advertised fruit character, filter or espresso. Not *bad*, just not *great*.

Kenya Kaguyu - Washed.

I always look out for Kenyans that don't have the classic blackcurrant-like tasting notes, and this one ticks the box. Grapefruit, burnt (in a good way) lemon. Maybe some peach right at the end. Lively acidity as with most Kenyans. Right up my street this one! Have only had it brewed.

Honduras Clave Del Sol - Washed.

Something a bit different to my usual preference for fruit-forward coffees, and really delicious. Milk chocolate, nutty, raspberry acidity (not so much flavour). Creamy body. Very gluggable and works really well as both filter and espresso.

All still available on their website.

Oops, got a bit behind on this. Updates from the last few weeks:

12. Hasbean Las Brumas (WBC winning coffee)

Obviously had high expectations for this but in all honesty it didn't exactly blow me away. For filter it was tasting a bit roasty and not to my tastes. It took me a while but in the end I did find a nice espresso recipe which really brought out the pomegranate acidity and sweetness, but it was very easy to take it too far and end up with a dull cup.

13. Drop Los Andes (LSOL)

Had some reasonable cups but also some disappointing ones. There was a background off-taste that I sometimes found in filter that I didn't enjoy. Had some nice bright espresso shots at times though. Got a bit lost in milk.

14. Crankhouse

Rwanda - Kilimbi - Washed

Only brewed this as filter and found some nice red fruits and clean body. Never quite got the full on cherry wine gum thing as advertised but very pleasant all the same.

Costa Rica - Las Lajas - Honey

Only brewed this as espresso (so far). Had one of my best shots of the year with this. Real sticky dried-fruit sweetness but also quite juicy.

Ethiopia - Guji Shakiso - Natural

A typically fun Ethiopian natural. Not too much funk and lots of strawberry/cherry fruit with a little acidity on the end to keep it refreshing. Lovely in milk, as would be expected.

To sum up this batch of roasters (for me)...

Hasbean - another in a line of disappointing coffees from them, think I am giving up on them

Drop - wasn't 100% to my liking but I would try them again

Crankhouse - very happy with these, I will definitely return

Good to know it wasn't only me with Has Bean Las Brumas who thought it was roasty. I did work better at coarser grind / lower brew ratios though. Their beans are just more developed and doesn't quite work as well with my typical recipes.

Got a few bags in at the moment, but I'm going for Sundlaug El Salvador Los Pirineos.

7ff35943084ffae53c7b05720cb07aa6.jpg

I normally go for fruit-forward coffees, but every now and then I crave something a bit cuddlier and this has fit the bill perfectly.

As pour over it's quite big on the nutty 'praline' element, with the milk chocolate and a gentle acidity.

As (EK) espresso it has been really forgiving, at lower extractions the plum acidity is to the fore but still nice and sweet. As I've pushed it further, the chocolate sweetness comes through more and the plum fades away a little. Both delicious. Current recipe is 17g/43g/28s. Makes for a lovely milk drink too - sweet caramel, nuts and chocolate.

Can't fault it at all. It has delivered everything it said on the bag and has been delicious across all brew methods. Sundlaug are very consistent and for me are right up there with the best of them.

how was the crema with your espresso? im loving the taste but not much crema. 20.5 g in 38 out in around 30 sec

Nuova Simonelli Musica Lux /Eureka Zenith 65E / Rancilio Rocky 2015 / Torr goldfinger 58.55 sharp edge