Phobic

Phobic's #12roasterschallenge

This looks like it will be fun! looking forward to reading others posts.

A few things about my setup and approach to get started.

Spro: Quickmill Verona @ 6 bar

Brewed: V60, Chemex, CCD, Brazen

Grinder: EK43, HG-1 (retired?)

Generally I have 1 bean resting & 1 bean I'm dialing in, once it's dialed in I'll either drink it all or I might freeze some of it to drink later - in that case I'll single dose straight from the freezer.

I tend to use Decaf in the Brazen and chemex, with the odd decaf cappa for my wife.

All this means that I can have 3-5 different beans a day, or gorge on just 1 if it's fantastic!

Yuxo09y.jpg

Roaster: Rave

Bean: India Bibica, washed red catura

Roaster cupping Notes: Apricot, Hazelnut, Spices

Method: Spro 20g > 60g Ext 23.22%

My Tasting Notes: Apricot, background dark Chocolate, tingling spice on the finish. get no Hazelnut at all

Personal Likes/Dislikes: Like the Apricot, nice acidity, don't like the chocolate as a spro

This was a bag of frozen beans from a sale which had been rested for 7 days before freezing, I've defrosted 500g which I've now dialed in.

Decent bean but not for me as a spro, might work in a cappa but think think the apricot will get lost.

will try it as a V60 at some point

Yuxo09y.jpg

Roaster: Horsham Coffee Roaster

Bean: Rwanda 24HR HYBRID MICRO-LOT - Washed Red Bourbon

Roaster cupping Notes: Filter: Orange, melon and red berries

Method: V60

My Tasting Notes: Orange zest into green melon, light strawberry finish with a slight hint of spice

Personal Likes/Dislikes: Enjoyed the Orange & the Melon, would have loved to taste more strawberry though it's clearly a back note

https://www.horshamcoffeeroaster.co.uk/collections/coffee/products/24hr-hybrid-micro-lot

This was refreshing as a V60, but I needed to get the strength right, it's better as a lighter delicate cup, great in the afternoon.

I'm still finding my feet with the V60, need to stop myself from making cups too strong!

Along with the 1KG of decaf I'm so far impressed with Horesham as a roaster, looking forward to trying the rest of their sample selection.

Yuxo09y.jpg

currently playing with 13.5g with 225g of water in for a little over 180g beverage. I've been up to 13.8g on some coffees, but that over powers things depending on the bean.

15g in for a 30s bloom, then 35g every 20 seconds

Yuxo09y.jpg

Beverage should be nearer 195g +/- just a couple of g. Average TDS around 1.30%?

I wouldn't really try & 2nd guess the bean, more soluble coffees may end up around 1.40%, less soluble around 1.20%. If you want to steer back to 1.30-1.35% try using grind rather than dose. If all are too strong, drop dose a tad? A drier brew at low end may taste just as 'strong' as a clean, sweet brew at the higher end.

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Thanks Mark.

I was hitting 1.45% @ 13.8g > 180g bev on the Rwanda which was too strong. I'll increase the beverage output as you say and give it a try.

have also been tweaking the grind already to fine tune things.

Think I'm still getting to grips with the V60 and finding my personal "default" preferences from which I'll then tweak depending on the bean.

Yuxo09y.jpg

Roaster: Foundry

Bean: Bella Vista Colombia

Roaster cupping Notes: chocolate, malt and caramel with just a hint of citrus in the acidity

Method: Cappa

My Tasting Notes: With milk it's milk chocolate verging on white chocolate, lots of malt, hint of acid. it's a cup of white chocolate maltesers.

Personal Likes/Dislikes: Love the malt, yummy, would like more caramel. Very easy drinker that will be a crowd pleaser, would make a perfect night time drink if it weren't for the caffeine :)

1st drink of this today, it's only 4 days post roast so needs a bit more resting but I'm out of cappa beans and have a hangover that needs watering. As a spro the acid was dominating at peak Ext 23.94% 20g > 60g, pushing the grind finer a little to 23.63% toned the acid down and made the spro more drinkable.

I stuck the 23.94% into my usual 6oz of milk and it was a little lost, still great though. 2nd cup in 5oz was spot on (don't tell anyone but I also added a spoonful of sugar as a treat, this hangover is crap, I'm getting old!)

Edited by Phobic

Yuxo09y.jpg

I need to update this more often.

had a filter selection pack from workshop and 2 different beans from origin.

The workshop selection pack was amazing, every bean was just brilliant! Origin good too but I think I'm going to struggle to find anything better than the workshop beans for a while.

I may have found a new love

Yuxo09y.jpg

Interesting. Workshop have been close to the top of my "must try" list for a while, but I've not got 'round to them yet.

Thanks for reminding me!

L1-P | E10 | VST | Feldgrind | Kalita

I'm almost out of filter!

think i'll reorder some workshop, it was great.

but time to dabble with some square mile, have had it a few times in coffee shops but never at home.

just ordered KIBINGO - BURUNDI, a washed bourbon. PEACH/ PURPLE FRUITS/ JUICY

Yuxo09y.jpg

Roaster: Workshop

Bean: Nyarusiza

Roaster cupping Notes: Workshop Plum, ginger, stone fruit, cloves

My Tasting Notes: Light white plum, ginger, spice, gloves

Personal Likes/Dislikes: Much more delicate than the cupping notes suggest, white fleshed plum on the fruit giving way to ginger undertones with background spice. I bought it because it was something a little different to what I'd usually drink and very pleased that I did. the background spice is distinct and refreshing, really liking it.

I also think I nailed the v60 on this, haven't had enough time in the past month to use it really, instead going with the CCD for most drinks.

very clean and crisp cup today, I'm going to try to start using the Kruve in anger tomorrow as well.

the red brick is resting, had a couple already but will report back in a few days

Yuxo09y.jpg

life got in the way of updating this, but going to try to get back on track!

Roaster: Talor & Jorgen

Bean: Kapsokisio SL28 & SL34

Roaster cupping Notes: Lavender & Red Currant

My Tasting Notes: Lavender to start with, background redcurrent, as the cup cools the redcurrent & redcurrent acidity grows stronger, at the end of the cup when cooled it's all redcurrent

Personal Likes/Dislikes: Loving the crisp redcurrent acidity at the end of the cup in particular / no dislikes, the florals aren't overpowering at all which can put me off

I'm a V60 noob, need to work on my technique a bit, have been trying different methods.

very 1st cup of this but suspect there's not much to do in terms of dialing it in.

16 g > Kruve 1100.

13.5 g > 225g. 50g bloom, 30s + 50g, 60s +125g

TDS 1.53%, didn't weigh the output as I was playing around with Acaia logging tools at the same time, however using VST defaults this is 27.02% ext.

Going to have a play with VST logging tools next, once I've got my pulses a bit more stable.

Yuxo09y.jpg

13.5 g > 225g. 50g bloom, 30s + 50g, 60s +125g

TDS 1.53%, didn't weigh the output as I was playing around with Acaia logging tools at the same time, however using VST defaults this is 27.02% ext.

Going to have a play with VST logging tools next, once I've got my pulses a bit more stable.

Sure you're not in immersion mode, that's nowhere near 27% by my reckoning, more like ~23%.

Best to weigh the output as +/-5g = +/-0.5%EY brew to brew at this kind of brew size. But I'd guess you won't be far off 196g in the cup.

Edited by MWJB

Sure you're not in immersion mode, that's nowhere near 27% by my reckoning, more like ~23%.

Best to weigh the output as +/-5g = +/-0.5%EY brew to brew at this kind of brew size. But I'd guess you won't be far off 196g in the cup.

quite possibly now you mention it! the interface is a bit unclear, should drip be in blue?

just had my 2nd pour, 1.54% TDS, 13.5g > 196g bev 23.14% Ext. sounds a bit more like it.

not sure if I'm doing something wrong with the VST Android app (or I don't understand it like I thought I did!), I'm using measure mode, no way to change brew water value, switch to calc mode and no way to change bev.

if I use calc mode I can change either but when I do it alters the other value automatically.

if I use the PC version I can enter both but then need to use the slider to put in the right dose.

not sure I understand why they are hard linked to each other, what am I missing or not understanding? :)

Yuxo09y.jpg

I only have the PC version (toggles between imm. & drip, nothing in blue).

You don't need to change more than 1 parameter with respect to dose/BW/gm bev., I enter dose as the variable, brew water can be your target, it doesn't matter if you don't hit it to the g for drip, just input the %TDS & gm bev. Immersion needs to have the correct brew water weight, but then gm bev only lets you know if the cup is going to overflow or not.

Basically, when you have a brew ratio & a known LRR/gm bev. (for drip), you get your brew vector...you can't deviate from that vector because of the laws of mathematics, you just slide up down it via the %TDS reading (the only way to get a higher EY for a given dose & gm bev. is to increase %TDS).

thanks that's pretty much how i've been using the PC version which seems fine.

suspect that the android app is effectively doing the same thing but without a slider.

just had another look at the app and it looks like it doesn't use the BW value under measure anyway to calculate EXT so not a problem. it is using it to calc LRR which I would have expected.

looks like the way to use it is to start in calc mode, enter dose + BW, then switch to measure mode and input bev + tds. that way you get all the calcs including ext and actual LRR.

if you don't do it that way I think it's using the assumed LRR of 2.1 instead which is what's driving the bev to change when you alter BW.

hope that rambling made sense!

Yuxo09y.jpg

2.1 LRR is a default, you can reset to whatever, actual LRR can vary wildly between say a small Kalita Wave brew with no rinse of the paper & a big coarse Chemex brew with rinsed paper. It's probably more useful for big bulk brews & situations where weighing each brew isn't practical (you might just do the first 10 to determine an average). For little home brews I'd always weigh.