Sign in to follow this  
PHB1969

Cafelat Blue Silicone Group Head Gasket - Which Way Up?

Hi - received my blue silicone Cafelat E61 8.5mm group head gasket today.

Which way should it be installed please on a Gaggia Classic?

It has a on edge which is squared off and one edge which is rounded.

The rounded edge has the make and size printed on it, which makes me think that should still show after it has been installed......ie facing down....any help appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Expobar Dual Leva, Sage Grinder Pro, Aeropress, Hario TCA-3, Minipresso, Moka Pot, Hario V60.

Yeh flat side faces down.

What's the point...it'll only change soon!

Ping Paul Pratt (@cafelat on Twitter) a question, he normally replies very quickly.

T.

Espresso: Londinium L1, ZR-71 grinder

Photography: Flickr

Slightly chamfered edge goes into group (chamfered to ease fitting) leaving fully flat face downwards to make contact with the group handle.

Hope of help

John

Roasters: BB Dalian Amazon 1kg -Power contolled GeneCafe 101- 106Kg of greens - Tonino

Espresso: Londinium L2 - Gaggia G105 - Silvia v3 Mr.Shades PID'-d - Faema E92a2 (Project) - MyPressi Twist - VST baskets / Motta Europa (350/500/750ml) - Torr Ti 58.55 & Goldfinger flat 58.4 TiBlack, Pullman 51.4 - Acaia x2

Grinders: Flats: Compak R120 - NS Mythos plus Conics: Compak K10PB - Lido 3

Brewed: Behmor Brazen - Moccamaster KBGT471 - Aeropress - V60 - Cona model D - Clever - Mizudashi - 8-10 + 6 cup Chemex

Water: BWT Bestmax V Refrac: VST III

and a Puq Press not in a pear tree..

In addition to the above, the gasket has some inscriptions on one side. That side goes up into the group, leaving the opposite flat side facing down which will be in contact with the Porta filter when locked.

Fab - thanks all - the old gasket must have been quite old - very brittle and broke when removing it.... portafilter used to fully engage at 5 o'clock....now very tight at just before 6 o'clock.....

Expobar Dual Leva, Sage Grinder Pro, Aeropress, Hario TCA-3, Minipresso, Moka Pot, Hario V60.

Fab - thanks all - the old gasket must have been quite old - very brittle and broke when removing it.... portafilter used to fully engage at 5 o'clock....now very tight at just before 6 o'clock.....

Excellent. Make sure that you remove the shower screen and gasket and clean them periodically (every 3 days or so), so it always comes out nicely.

Just follow DavecUK post about cleaning - it's on sticker post somewhere - very valuable information there.

The classic has a group head that has the shower screen and group seal seperate so wouldn't be recommending removing the gasket to clean it regularly! Once it's in, it stays in, until it's time for replacement and you usually damage or destroy it when removing.

The classic has a group head that has the shower screen and group seal seperate so wouldn't be recommending removing the gasket to clean it regularly! Once it's in, it stays in, until it's time for replacement and you usually damage or destroy it when removing.

This ˆˆˆˆˆ

Sorry I didn't realised it was a Gaggia Classic. Apologies.

Guys - can anyone please link me to the Cafelat gasket that fits a Classic? The measurements on the blue gasket options I have found seem slightly different to the OEM group seal.

Don’t want to be stuck buying the wrong fitment!

Thanks

Guys - can anyone please link me to the Cafelat gasket that fits a Classic? The measurements on the blue gasket options I have found seem slightly different to the OEM group seal.

Thanks

IIRC an 8.5mm E61 Cafelat gasket will fit a Classic.

Thanks[/quote @rob177palmer it just so happens that I have a unneeded / unused blue 8.5 cafelat (as you do) looking for a warm and cosy place of rest, happy to post it onto you, if you would like it pm your address and I will send it on its way.

It doesn't matter how you get there it's only the end result that matters

Thanks[/quote @rob177palmer it just so happens that I have a unneeded / unused blue 8.5 cafelat (as you do) looking for a warm and cosy place of rest, happy to post it onto you, if you would like it pm your address and I will send it on its way.

Thank you kindly sir. Any payment required? If not I will donate the cost to the forum (...if someone can tell me how!!)

I will pm you.

My old seal was hard, black, and cracked, and very hard to get out.

Did wonder which way was correct for the new blue silicone one- glad to know I guessed right.