I've searched this forum and found it seems impossible to find a flawless seller for the base model La Pavoni. Are they all rogues?

Do you mean sellers on here or retailers?

What's the point...it'll only change soon!

Do you mean sellers on here or retailers?

I think you may be too clever for me... I just want to buy a La Pavoni Europiccola, new, or good used condition. Following E bay sales, they go for a price which makes me think it's as well to buy a new one, but it seems for every indifferent or positive review of a still-active retailer I find a few people throwing up hands in horror.

I'm on the verge of plunging to the cheapest I can find, LaGondola, as it seems everyone just acts as an agent for them anyway!

The only reservation I would have is what do you do if there is a problem under warranty - might want to check that you can use a UK authorised agent for warranty repairs - having said that whats to go wrong - its been around in this form for 15yrs so should be fairly bug free.

Its an odd time for buying second hand at the moment, a lot of equipment prices went through the roof coming upto xmas - I think its the "impress the relatives" or "I'm going to show of my new machine" ideas that force the price of luxury items up this time of year. Good news is everyone is about to hit "oh god I've overspent" moment any day now and start trying to sell stuff -

I might be wrong but hold tight for a bit.

keep calm and grind flat

Not sure i really understand your problem trying to find a retailer for the La Pav.

You can buy through Amazon which is where I assume you found the seller 'LaGondola', look at the Amazon Marketplace garuntee.

Or just use one of the retailers that Google throws up... first one is http://www.theespressoshop.co.uk/ who are also a Pavoni Service centre and 5 star rated via TrustPilot.

Cheapest is from cafeitalia - http://www.coffeeitalia.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=E-P&gclid=CMHjkb3Tp9ECFW4A0wodn7ANwg still with 2yr warranty

£329 inc vat - I got my gaggia new from them - to my surprise it tracked all the way from Italy not the UK and turned up with a euro plug and adapter ! so cafe italia are more like a drop shipping firm with a warrenty dep in London - not sure la gondola have added vat until you get to checkout.

My thoughts are - its made in Italy its going to come from there one way or another - its got a warranty - I would prefer a uk company with great after safes support like the espresso shop (uk authorised repairer) but I'm not going to pay £90 more for that comfort.

might want to ask coffee italia - that if a repair is needed under warrenty where they send it uk or Italy - it may well end up at the espresso shop ?

Edited by jimbojohn55

keep calm and grind flat

So whats a Europicolla worth normally on a 2nd hand market these days?

::: Fracino Cherub ::: Fiorenzato F5 ::: Torr 58.6mm ::: VST 18g basket :::

Awaiting: Arduino upgrade on Gaggia Classic, some skills ;)

So whats a Europicolla worth normally on a 2nd hand market these days?

apparently more second hand than new! according to the sellers on ebay WTF !! if your quick you can buy one for £900 new from the states http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/La-Pavoni-EPC-8-Europiccola-8-Cup-Lever-Style-Espresso-Machine-Chrome-/122226793168?hash=item1c7548dad0:g:f2IAAOSwcUBYKrsK

Or you could almost buy 3 in the UK for the same price -

Joking aside I think second hand £200 -250 - in good and working condition - budget £30 for a new set of seals.

keep calm and grind flat

Coffeeitalia have a less than stellar reputation should you have any problems to deal with.

La Gondola came up in an internet search, and on the site itself it states all prices (lower than given on Amazon) are inclusive of taxes within the EU. So until our government gets its act together, the black based model works out at £319 including delivery. I too would prefer to support a local dealer, but that's a hell of an extra mark up. Carlo responded to my inquiry with a very quick email to say that all warranty claims are within 2 years, all costs covered. TBH with these machines I doubt there'll be an issue.

I think your right - not much to go wrong- a bargains a bargain

keep calm and grind flat

Didn't realise quite how much cheaper they were from La Gondola.

They seem like a legit site, and they take PayPal to boot so there is little to no chance you will lose your money if you use this. If you ever needed to return it for repair it would be a pain but as you said there isn't a great deal to go wrong and strip downs/repairs are extensively documented.

"it was Jimbo, dear, he encouraged me."

lol - you should report back on delivery, speed and tracking

Cheers Jimbo

keep calm and grind flat

Live tracking... I'm like a kid watching for Santa's sleigh... Ordered on 4th January it is now 60 miles away. Carlo is very quickly responsive to emails, & had I read more carefully there is a bit on the site which says 3 pin plugs will be fitted on request...

It's arrived and immaculate. It's cleaned and about to make the first shot... With my first ever batch of sourdough bread!

This is going to take me some practise, only a tiny crema - but lovely flavour.

Monsoon Malabar. No picture of that today, I'm shy.

Glad to see your getting there - its taken me 5 days to get a consistent technique and the right grind - I'm tempted to fit a pressure gauge as well - I just want to know where the boiler is at during the process.

keep calm and grind flat