[i'm using a Sage DTP with a Sage Smart Grinder Pro. Any reference to grind size refers to the settings on the Smart Grinder Pro.]

Like everybody else I start with coffee already in the house at the turn of the year.

That coffee is from Crankhouse Coffee; a little one-man band in Devonshire, which I came across on my travels down south in the middle of 2016.

One of the few coffees that I have ordered more than once is Crankhouse's CH6 espresso blend, which has now given way to the CH7 blend. I have a kilo of CH7 coming in the next few days, and I'll be sure to report back on that.

Enjoyed this today as a cortado; 30 second pull (because my shot scales are kaput) from roughly 18g of coffee. Led to beautifully smooth, malty, chocolatey coffee. No need for sugar to the lack of any residual bitterness. As an espresso it is a pleasure to drink, also. Will have another taste tomorrow and remind myself of it.

Edited by filthynines

1973 La Pavoni ++ Niche Zero ++ Aeropress ++ V60

Coffee by the Casuals

CH7 notes look very appealing to me, even accounting for the fact that the blend is made from 110% of beans :)

Looking forward to your extended notes.

I've gone back to the CH6 blend this morning to drink the penultimate shot in the bag. It's mildly acidic as espresso, and gave me a little bit of black pepper, a little bit of honey, and a little bit of tart fruit like blackberries. It wasn't a great shot, and I say that compared to the first one I pulled from this bag about ten days ago; but even my poor shots of this coffee are good to drink.

Before I leave the house I might have a V60 or cafetiere of another Crankhouse coffee, we shall see...

Coffee by the Casuals

My kilo of the new CH7 blend from Crankhouse Coffee has arrived, and the pre-January roast date means I can dig right in.

My first shot from the bag had strong notes of cocoa, and not much else. I made a short (long?) black later in the day with 1:2 ratio of espresso to water, and was surprised by a big hit of citrus fruit. Makes me wonder whether the first shot was over-extracted... More testing required!

Coffee by the Casuals

It's getting better as an espresso. I went for a slightly coarser grind (5 on Sage Smart Grinder Pro), and I ended up with a much smoother shot. Still heavy on cocoa, but a shot which is drinkable on its own.

Coffee by the Casuals

As I suspected, the CH7 blend comes into its own as a milk drink. Just made a cortado, and cocoa turns very nicely into smooth milk chocolate. I added touch of muscavado sugar, and it was better still. It's an outstanding espresso blend for this purpose.

Coffee by the Casuals

I've had Crankhouse's Thunguni AB in the house since before the turn of the year. I had made a cafetiere of it in the past week, but let it steep for 13 minutes by accident and it was completely undrinkable.

However, I've just managed a 5-minute steep, 20g>200g on grind setting 20, and what I have is a very fresh cup with a crisp mouthfeel. Trying to pin down the notes, and I'm settling on Fruit Salad sweets. Very nice.

Coffee by the Casuals

I had made a cafetiere of it in the past week, but let it steep for 13 minutes by accident and it was completely undrinkable.

Odd, I don't know what would have caused that, maybe a trough between peaks, or the very high brew ratio making it too intense?

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

I don't, nature does. :-)

A small pot (300g water) will still be at 70c after 20min if you brew with boiling water & cover immediately...maybe half an hour is pushing it for this size. A 1L pot will stay hot for about an hour. Preheat your cups.

I tend to prefer my coffee at 55c or less drinking temp.

For a temperature decining steep, like a glass, single walled press, I'm not sure you can get close to the point of no return.

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

And so to roaster #2 out of my 12. It will be another one familiar to most on this forum: Extract Coffee Roasters. I bought four different coffees from them, and I will try and say a little something about all of them once I get round to them.

The first bag opened is a mainstay of theirs: Strongman Espresso. Now, their tasting notes say pecans, custard cream, and vanilla fudge. Those are all flavours evocative of cream and sugar, and so I presume that those notes are for milk drinks. I wanted an espresso, so I simply pulled a double shot and left the milk out.

Grinder on 5, 17g>35g after about 33 secs. It gave a big, juicy mouthfeel from start to finish. The boldest flavour was rhubarb, but on cooling I found it turned to white grape. I think this was a pretty good first shot from the bag. I enjoyed drinking it, and I don't think I'll do too much messing around with the grind. I will certainly give it a go with milk in due course and report back.

Coffee by the Casuals

As suspected, the Strongman Espresso comes into its own in milk. A cortado gave me clear notes of custard cream and vanilla fudge, as promised. No pecans, mind. Still preferring CH7 blend against this; preferring the chocolate notes through milk.

Coffee by the Casuals

It's now around four weeks since the roasting date on my bag of Strongman Espresso from Extract, and I must say that I really enjoyed the last shot out of the bag. 18g on 3 > 36g over about 35 seconds gave a steady shot, and I enjoyed a strong flavour of a spicy cola. Against the tasting notes this is bizarre, but I enjoyed it nonetheless! I would go back for another bag, but would probably rest for much longer.

Coffee by the Casuals

Since the Strongman has bitten the dust, I've moved onto a single origin from Extract: Rwandan Muhura Natural. I pulled 18g on 3 > 36g, which took around 28 seconds and seemed to fly out a little too quickly. I will probably go down to 1 on the grinder and see what happens.

But regardless of the dynamics of the pull itself, this was a shot which gave a huge, juicy hit of grapefruit acidity. I was really taken aback by just how tangy this was, and I really enjoyed it. Will definitely have another before the day is out.

Coffee by the Casuals

And on a separate note: I have managed to identify roaster numbers 3, 4 and 5 after my weekend trip to Dublin. Found a nice deli inside the grounds of Malahide Castle and Gardens, and picked up three lots of 250g each. Horrified to see some roasting dates of May 2016 (!!), but did the usual trick of reaching to the back of the shelf to find some January 2017 roasts. Looking forward to them.

Coffee by the Casuals

Extract's Liquidambar Espresso seems to be a bugger for my grinder-machine combo. Even at 2 on the grinder and on a heavy tamp it floods out of the machine. 18g>32g in about 27 seconds. Reduced the output because the extra few grammes seem to really dilute the flavours.

Coffee by the Casuals

Roaster #3 of 12: Bell Lane Artisan Coffee Roaster is one of the roasters from whom I bought beans whilst in Dublin at the end of last month. I still have some stuff left over from Extract, but this has a roast date of December 2016 so I thought I'd better crack on.

This is their Dragonfly Espresso. It's a darker roast than I would usually buy, and I highly suspect that it will be best drank with milk. But, grinder set to 5 and 18g>36g gave a syrupy, dark shot which was consistent over the first two or three pulled. Good crema, balanced dark chocolate flavours.

IMG_0368.jpg

Coffee by the Casuals

Nah, not my sort of bean, this one. Not great for espresso; too dark for me. A drinkable long black with 1:1 dilution. Nice enough in milk. The sort of coffee that tastes of coffee. Still prefer Crankhouse's CH7 in milk, though.

Coffee by the Casuals

And so straight into Roaster #4 of 12: Cloud Picker. Interesting name - not the usual. Apparently inspired by a trip to Thailand where they went up through the clouds to observe coffee pickers. https://cloudpickercoffee.ie/pages/ourstory

I have one 250g bag of their SAM blend. On the back of the bag it implies that it's a filter coffee, but I've had a go with it as espresso. Grinder set to 5, 18g>38g. It's a fresh coffee, with a lime as the predominant flavour. My instinct is that I need to grind it finer. Next time I have it will probably be as a V60, and that will probably be later today.

IMG_8141.jpg

Coffee by the Casuals

I'm really not sure where I stand on this Cloud Picker bag. It's nice, I just don't think it's anything special.

I managed a better espresso this morning. I ground finer (3) and pulled 18g > 32g in 32 secs. It choked the machine a little to start, but I wound up with a drinkable shot - first notes of honey on the finish. I'd decided I'd pull a shorter shot, but I probably should have kept the grind the same for comparison.

I'm just coming to the end of a V60. Ground on 45, 16g + 250g water. Underwhelming. I was expecting something that would slap me around the chops a bit more, considering the acidity found in the espresso. The best I can say about it is that it leaves a nice, clean mouthfeel.

Coffee by the Casuals

I've got back to Cloud Picker again this morning, and turned 19g > 32g on grind size 4. This slowed down the extraction considerably, and gave me a better developed coffee rather than the watery ones I've been having recently.

Coffee by the Casuals