Missy

Missy's #12roasterschallenge

I feel like there ought to be ladies leaping or lords a laying or whatever. But here's my start to twelve roasters roasting.

Coffee Compass Hill&Valley

73875f2318b5f552cc650dbc1cbf5746.jpg

Bought as part of the black Friday bundle. Mainly because I was worried it would be awful.

It isn't. It's lovely. Deep and rich, a hint of woodsmoke & tobacco, but only like being sat with a favourite grandfather- not overpoweringly so.

It's dark, so don't expect light florals and citrus notes!

I'm a fan of Coffee Compass because they've nailed dark roast without tasting of burnt car tyres and acrid smoke. (And in the same week as opening this I suffered 3 "LaVazza Modo Mio" pods, of differing strength/style where the sole difference seemed to be which tasted more/less acrid and burnt.)

What you get is akin to a heavily peaty whisky, warming, tasty, and complex. And (as Spazbarista so insightfully said) it tastes of coffee! But so many layers of duvet like snuggliness.

I've been drinking in milk, and it cuts through beautifully, I've even had a couple of cheeky festive mochas, which are delicious and doesn't lose the coffee or taste like "hot chocolate with a nasty aftertaste" (as hubby described a C*sta one once)

Honestly. Try it. Also try the Cherry Cherry if that's still around- it was lovely, dark but fruity, like dairy milk fruit&nut, but with bournville.

I edited this when back in Tapatalk

Edited by Missy

Did someone say coffee?

:Gaggia Classic--> Nuova Simonelli Oscar--> fracino Cherub:Mazzer SuperJolly:Hario V60+aeropress+french press:

I feel like there ought to be ladies leaping or lords a laying or whatever. But here's my start to twelve roasters roasting.

Coffee Compass Hill&Valley

73875f2318b5f552cc650dbc1cbf5746.jpg

Bought as part of the black Friday bundle. Mainly because I was worried it would be awful.

It isn't. It's lovely. Deep and rich, a hint of woodsmoke & tobacco, but only like being sat with a favourite grandfather- not overpoweringly so.

It's dark, so don't expect light florals and citrus notes!

I'm a fan of Coffee Compass because they've nailed dark roast without tasting of burnt car tyres and acrid smoke. (And in the same week as opening this I suffered 3 "LaVazza Modo Mio" pods, of differing strength/style where the sole difference seemed to be which tasted more/less acrid and burnt.)

What you get is akin to a heavily peaty whisky, warming, tasty, and complex. And (as Spazbarista so insightfully said) it tastes of coffee! But so many layers of duvet like snuggliness.

I've been drinking in milk, and it cuts through beautifully, I've even had a couple of cheeky festive mochas, which are delicious and doesn't lose the coffee or taste like "hot chocolate with a nasty aftertaste" (as hubby described a C*sta one once)

Honestly. Try it. Also try the Cherry Cherry if that's still around- it was lovely, dark but fruity, like dairy milk fruit&nut, but with bournville.

I edited this when back in Tapatalk

I bought the bundle too. Although I've had H&V before, I'd forgotten how lovely it is! A timely reminder.

Rocket Giotto Evoluzione v2, Eureka Zenith 65E, Niche grinder, Pharos grinder with VoodooDaddy mods, Eureka MDL, Torr Goldfinger, Smart Tamp. Various coffee stuff.

I've just used " it tastes of coffee" in a not very flattering way to describe a coffee I've put forward. There's no offense intended at all. I honestly hadn't read this when I posted as I was doing the kids tea and stuff inbetween writing bits for my #12roasters challenge. I can see why the same description coul also be a good thing.

I've just used " it tastes of coffee" in a not very flattering way to describe a coffee I've put forward. There's no offense intended at all. I honestly hadn't read this when I posted as I was doing the kids tea and stuff inbetween writing bits for my #12roasters challenge. I can see why the same description coul also be a good thing.

lol! It's why it needs all the additional context, it tastes of the coffee of your imaginings, versus it tastes like...

Did someone say coffee?

:Gaggia Classic--> Nuova Simonelli Oscar--> fracino Cherub:Mazzer SuperJolly:Hario V60+aeropress+french press:

#2 stumptown this probably technically shouldn't count. It's been lurking in my cupboard since it arrived. I keep trying and failing to enjoy it...It "just tastes of coffee" despite lofty tasting notes and a wichteln participant choosing it to send around the world. however the aeropress has arrived (!) and I didn't want to defrost a whole kg of filter beans when I've got bags of espresso blend in the cupboard waiting to be used. So I cracked this back open. After a rocky start of more mediocrity (I didn't quite understand how to use the aeropress!) using 20g ish to just above "1" (because it's 8:30pm bed is nowhere in sight and I'm too tired to be accurate, or care!) has produced something where I can definitely just about get "jasmine" over and above "generically brown caffeinated liquid"I'd call that a modest success, and already the aeropress looks like it might be a risky purchase! Now to get my second grinder sprayed and up and running!!

image.jpg

Edited by Missy

Did someone say coffee?

#3 hasbean

920b19f10c9ca941381b36d4d0224c7a.jpg

It was of course inevitable that any challenge would include Hasbean. They seem to hold an almost mythical status, even having been featured on Radio 4! (This deifies pretty much anyone IMO!!)

Being a tight Yorkshire lass I was planning to await a bargain. And a bargain I have got. I've got 3x assorted rested 250g bags to work through and I've started with the oddest...

Natural processed Ethiopian chelelekutu- And it really is a bit bonkers! I've run it through the aeropress and the v60 and it does indeed taste of Wrigley's juicy fruits!! It's got a real depth of flavour that makes me see why people get so excited about hasbean! I'll update again when I've tried the others!

Edited by Missy
Add what the coffee is!

Did someone say coffee?

#3 hasbean part 2

Well this was a thoroughly unexpected plot twist. I've always assumed hasbean exclusively produced coffee with tasting notes of flowers sunshine and sherbert. So on getting to the second bag, I was much surprised to see cindertoffee baking chocolate and tobacco smoke.

And those notes are bang on.

It's too overpowering for me as straight espresso, to the point I just can't drink it. It's like sticking your head in a smoky bonfire. Similarly in the aeropress, it's a heavy, smoky beast.

Milk transforms it, pushing the smoke right to the back and pulling out the cinder toffee flavours.

Not what I was expecting, and not one I'd rush to reorder, but a pleasant foray into something I'd not have bought from the tasting notes.

Did someone say coffee?

#4 Foundry

I adore Foundry. There's something just so "right" about their roasts. I'm drinking a Nicaraguan finca el bosque that's been tucked in my freezer since November. It doesn't matter what I do to it, it's rich, juicy, delicious. I've used and abused it through the v60, aeropress, French press, espresso, Americano and in milk. I've chucked some coldbrew in the fridge. It's forgiving and easy to work with, and easy to drink!

30a04460b70e548c04a9b7656875b8a2.jpg

Edited by Missy

Did someone say coffee?

#5 vagabond

Tough one to call here, and I wont bother with a photo as it arrived (LSOL) in a plain white bag, no logo, no label, no nothing...

Mostly I've been wowed by LSOL offerings.

I like this one, but I suspect it's not one I'd have chosen. Others have described it as undrinkable, it's certainly not easy to work with.

There's a strong "burnt" smell that persists into the cup. This can be tempered, but what's left is "ok" it's not too acidic, it's a bit apple like in a sort of sweet sharpness. But it's not exciting. It reminds me of other exciting coffees I've drunk, but muted.

Not a winner for me, and not a roaster I will be rushing back to.

Did someone say coffee?

#6 grumpy mule

cb7be079a1d8db316c291d966ad070cc.jpg

Yeah i know... Very much on the edge between decent and just a bit commercial, but they seem to have a massive niche round these parts offering bags of "that fancy stuff" into pretty much every touristy food shop.

These arrived as my birthday gift from hubby (he's also bought my LSOL sub) and were presented with much hope that he'd done well.

Fortunately for him a friend had bought me preground Taylor's lava java, so they were favourably compared (out of interest, the preground does taste like it's been roasted by chucking it in a volcano and digging it up again after... Possibly from Pompeii...) But I digress.

Back to grumpy mule. No roast date on the packet, but the man in the shop (which sells speciality chocolates) told him it was fresh in. The best before is Feb 18, and they seemed fresh enough with lots of foaming in the aeropress.

Tasting notes are chocolate and summat else. I was slightly concerned by the "bittersweet" strapline. But in the end pleasantly surprised.

A medium roast, so no black oily horror on opening the bag.

Set the grinder going at around "medium roast" ballpark. Stuck them through the aeropress, and indeed the tasting notes were spot on. Not going to win any third wave "toasted sea urchin and mandarin" or "spatchcocked lemur and red onion" tasting note awards. But a perfectly decent, well roasted bean. I'm not sure what I should expect from a Sumatran... But these were nice. (In the truest sense of nice, pleasant but dull, bit like a nice biscuit!!)

Would I rush out to buy these beans again? No. Chocolate is just a little dull.

But if the cupboard was bare then i would definitely pop out for a bag of one of their other offerings and see what i can do with them. (After carefully checking the best before date!)

Did someone say coffee?

Probably means best before February 18th :whistle:;)

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3 + Mahlkonig EK43 Turkish burrs + Niche

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

#6 grumpy mule

cb7be079a1d8db316c291d966ad070cc.jpg

Yeah i know... Very much on the edge between decent and just a bit commercial, but they seem to have a massive niche round these parts offering bags of "that fancy stuff" into pretty much every touristy food shop.

These arrived as my birthday gift from hubby (he's also bought my LSOL sub) and were presented with much hope that he'd done well.

Fortunately for him a friend had bought me preground Taylor's lava java, so they were favourably compared (out of interest, the preground does taste like it's been roasted by chucking it in a volcano and digging it up again after... Possibly from Pompeii...) But I digress.

Back to grumpy mule. No roast date on the packet, but the man in the shop (which sells speciality chocolates) told him it was fresh in. The best before is Feb 18, and they seemed fresh enough with lots of foaming in the aeropress.

Tasting notes are chocolate and summat else. I was slightly concerned by the "bittersweet" strapline. But in the end pleasantly surprised.

A medium roast, so no black oily horror on opening the bag.

Set the grinder going at around "medium roast" ballpark. Stuck them through the aeropress, and indeed the tasting notes were spot on. Not going to win any third wave "toasted sea urchin and mandarin" or "spatchcocked lemur and red onion" tasting note awards. But a perfectly decent, well roasted bean. I'm not sure what I should expect from a Sumatran... But these were nice. (In the truest sense of nice, pleasant but dull, bit like a nice biscuit!!)

Would I rush out to buy these beans again? No. Chocolate is just a little dull.

But if the cupboard was bare then i would definitely pop out for a bag of one of their other offerings and see what i can do with them. (After carefully checking the best before date!)

I love your reviews!! Can't wait for April now :)

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer /  gold B Plus stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

@MildredM i wasn't going to review these beans as it seems a slight cheat as they've been in my freezer since forever... But i didn't want to keep you waiting until April...

#6b (#7?! Who knows!)

Redtail

Now these have an interesting history. Early on in my foruming, when i still didn't know what sort of beans i did and didn't like a seller popped up offering a few kilos of his magic beans, usually sold via Amazon, and with a super cheap £12/kg price.

I'm a tight Yorkshire lass, so these seemed worth a punt. 15ad118cc3cdef3042a1dd2822011cd2.jpg

As you can see I froze some, mainly because I'd bought about 3 tonnes of coffee in about 2 weeks.

Here's my original notes 7eeb4127f1dc5026970f6f00b1d84791.jpg

You'll spot these are now a year old.

You'll also see i describe them as a good basic brew. You could make your granny a latte and she wouldn't be weirded out by acidity or funny flavours. These are sweet and easy to use, not even a hint of bittersweet dark chocolate, these are chocolate hobnobs all the way.

12 months on... And out of the freezer (defrosted before grinding) and obviously with a new lower hassle machine. More of the same. Super easy to drink, tasty, light and fluffy chocolate and oats. I've fiddled with the extraction and can't make an undrinkable shot.

Again, it's never going to win any awards, but as an easy to drink low hassle emergency freezer coffee it's stood up to the challenge well.

Did someone say coffee?

#8 sidewalk coffee

2a1e0b467fb0c84cbc4ff54250c8df92.jpg

This was a free sample sent by sidewalk for the cost of postage. They describe it as "a little bit of whatever we've been roasting this week" so i can only assume it was fresh, but no date on the bag.

When i looked the Brazilian was the only thing on their website, and really it doesn't float my boat so it got abandoned in the cupboard until i found it lurking behind the decaf as i went to reach for the bag of eternal mystery* in horror at having run out of anything caffeinated.

My biggest problem isn't the lack of available options (only one thing??) Or the super evasive tasting notes. (Choc and berry) it didn't have the creamy,malty edge i like in a good brazilian, it just tasted a bit like Costa. That said it wasn't overly roasty, and i did only have a tiny sample to play with. So all things considered acceptable, and i might try them again when they've got something better in stock (you'd think you'd want to wow people with the sample?!)

By far my biggest problem is the name. Sidewalk Coffee. Really? Firstly i hope they mean pavement, because when i hear sidewalk all i can think of is Dr Zoidberg. 2fb756e38bbb76386c7ecb52d2396fae.gif

And if in some horrendous skewing of the beautiful language that is English, as spoken in Britain, rather than in country's ruled by a bewigged Zoidberg without the affability, charm or charisma of that wonderful crustacean, they do in fact mean pavement... Then really? Coffee off the pavement? My mum always taught us not to eat stuff we found on the floor outside, and I'm sure that extends to the imbibing of bean based beverages.

*The bag of eternal mystery is all the leftover bits of coffee I cant bear to finish, or the last 1-14g of an ok coffee, or the last 1-10g of a coffee i love. It lives in a coffee compass mystery 1kg bag. Some people use theirs for burr seasoning or other hippy nonsense. Me? If someone i dislike is visiting i make me a coffee just before they arrive. I then grind a little of the bag of mystery and stick it in the cafetiere. "Oh i wasn't expecting you yet, I've just made myself coffee, hang on let me get you one, no it's really no hassle" and voila. No throwing of pearls before swine, they gawp at the awesomeness of my coffee, i don't have to drink it. Easy.

Did someone say coffee?

Hahahahaha!! I actually laughed out loud at this!!! So funny! And I agree with all you say, but you put it so, so well :) :)

I also got that sample and it's still lurking in the coffee cupboard. I also hoped for something exciting to make me want to buy from them, not an uninspired looking pack of any-old-thing! I had to double check at the time they were a UK roaster. Their name was inspired from how they often drink their coffee - on the sidewalk (or pavement). All this jokery aside I am sure they are passionate about their beans and are enjoying the journey (and probably have some great coffee on their website)!

And even more funny, I do the exact same thing as you. I can put it here because I know my friends won't read it . . . If I know someone is coming for coffee I have mine (Ian too, if he's here) half an hour before they arrive then, when they turn up, grab the cafetière and some lurking type beans and give them that! I have even been known to put the Puly Caff out and say, 'oh, what a shame, I've just set the machine on a cleaning cycle, but never mind, I can make you some fabulous coffee in the cafetière, freshly ground and everything!'

I promise I wouldn't do that if anyone from the forum came for coffee :) as if!!

Thanks for a great review, Missy :)

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer /  gold B Plus stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

I too was disappointed with sidewalk. As its local to me I was hoping for good things. But was very underwhelmed with the Brazil sample. My first drink was OK but it was downhill after that. Still at least there is still hot numbers in Cambridge which are good.

I too was disappointed with sidewalk. As its local to me I was hoping for good things. But was very underwhelmed with the Brazil sample. My first drink was OK but it was downhill after that. Still at least there is still hot numbers in Cambridge which are good.

This is (and the immense advice) is why I love this forum. Sidewalk were next on my list to try, as I am local too, I shall avoid then.

Hot Numbers is also on the list

Ve ve suvivius.... /E37s/ Eazytamp / tupperware pot / completely healthy relationship with coffee (and bank manager).

And just when it was all going so well in May we started prepping to move house. We finally moved in august, and in September the kids headed out to nursery, and I returned to work (for the first time in almost 4 years!!!)

Coffee for pleasure had to take a backseat, and my notes get exceptionally sketchy, but LSOL kept me going, with a monthly delivery of top notch coffee, though sometimes (often times perhaps!) I didn't do it justice, with a grubby machine, or lackadaisical brewing through the aeropress or V60.

But now balance is beginning to be restored. I've developed a laid back approach to brewing, French press for when I'm in the office at home (busy) aeropress for when I need to dash out with something fast brewed, and the trusty Oscar (who never complained when he missed his backflushing) when I had time and needed to relax.

But onwards to the oft abused coffees, which were worthy of much greater care than I gave them, but faithfully saw me through some of the most stressful life events bringing comfort and (through this glorious forum) friendship and camaraderie.

#8 James Gourmet. Not a roaster I would naturally gravitate towards, despite excellent forum reviews. This is the joy of LSOL, being encouraged to stretch your natural predispositions. (My only misgiving being the name isn't terribly "hipster cool" ) this was a washed Ugandan, which reminded me strongly of a Kenyan I'd had from Casa Espresso early in my coffee journey. I'm a right sucker for left field tastes, and tomato in coffee is one of my faves. An excellent roaster I wouldn't hesitate in returning to.

#9 north star

I've had north star recently in a Harrogate coffee shop, but I have to say LSOL did it better, with an elsalvador, which was like drinking cadburys caramel... A lovely tame coffee from a relatively local roaster

#10 CHC tasted a little of orange jellies with a Rwandan honey process. CHC bent over backwards with the LSOL and I look forward to trying more of their stuff when I'm not juggling everything!!

#11 Roundhill offered a dual roast (espresso or filter) for the LSOL (an Ethiopian Magarissa) this really opened my eyes to the subtlety of the roasters art... One coffee, one roaster, two subtly different effects (I tried both as both, and was suitably impressed that they didn't taste the same!!)

#12 Drop. Well here's another I'd never have bothered with. I know this divided the forum, and I wonder if having moved somewhere with lovely soft water helped me be in the love camp. The washed el Salvador made me worry I was about to explode the grinder it was so tight, but a real eye opener to the European coffee scene.

Having moved to the land of bottled water I've been really blessed with low hassle coffee making (though the water at the springs/wells in town tastes of rotten eggs, fortunately the tap water isn't stinky!) I've also been able to land in a place where the base line for cafe culture isn't nescafe instant in a French press... So my "bonus" roasters are

#13 rountons my fave hangout with the kids is out of town, and certainly not third wave, but despite that they serve a lovely coffee, almost certainly thanks to the quality of the coffee, clearly designed to taste great even when made to "standard" standards.

#14 Maude I've drunk this as batch brew at a Harrogate cafe, and was again impressed by the subtlety and depth of flavours even though it was made on a large scale and (presumably) stored. I'd love to try these at home.

#11 (again!!) Roundhill are regulars at my fave "grown up" shop, and whether espresso or slow brew they never fail to please.

So onward to 2018. Now I've got the hang of dialing in, and got my second grinder running for brewed I'm ready for a new challenge. I've switched to a Dog and Hat subscription of 3x250g bags from different roasters each month. Hopefully this will be easier for my work pattern, allowing me more variety and experimentation with different beans and roasters.

Did someone say coffee?

It's 2018!! Huzzah!

With my new dog and hat sub trying different roasters should be super easy!

January was a "direct trade" special sub.

#1 island roasted

They are based on the isle of wight, and the bag tells me they have some form of local certification of actually definitely being based on the isle of wight. This is an island I've never visited, but I understand is packed out with holidaying southerners for much of the year. So my deepest commiserations to the roasters for their location

Honduras - washed. Notes on the bag chocolate and honey.

As far as the bag notes went this hit the mark. There wasn't a great deal of depth or subtlety in the coffee, it was straight down the line chocolate and sweet.

Would I rush back for another bag? Probably not. But then my proclivity is for fruitier coffees, and there was nothing exceptional about the coffee or roaster that would make me order again. Perhaps if I was more local to them I would.

#2 vagabond

They are Londoners. This means I pity them almost as much as the poor guys at island roasted, as I assume they all are forced into man buns and hipster beards, attempting to look like Canadian lumberjacks in an urban setting. Bless them.

Colombian-washed notes on the bag bitter orange, caramel, cacao.

Have you ever tried the Aldi chocolate in little 25g paper packets, they do one in extra dark orange and almond. If you've not tried this (or possibly the more expensive lindt version) you won't have any idea what I'm on about. It tastes just like that. Add milk and it tastes of a dark chocolate orange. What's not to love? This is chocolatey notes on a whole new level. If you are going to send something for a multi roaster sub to try and attract custom, this is what you would send. Conventional enough not to offend or put off anyone, but interesting enough to capture imaginations. Would I buy it again? Yes! (Though I'm full of coffee subscription right now!) Would I try the roaster again, definitely! Beautifully roasted and easy to handle beans that were delicious every cup full.

#3 dear green

I've had decaf from these guys, and it was tasty. They are Glaswegians, so I assume they swig irn bru and whisky between roasting, and dress like the vagabond lot in their Canadian lumberjack chic, but without the irony. I like dear greens commitment to ethical behaviour, it fits well with my crunchy mama ethos.

Guatemalan- washed floral with mandarin and apricot.

I drank this during a rotten cold, and couldn't get the best out of it. Whether that was the beans, or my cold I'm not sure, so I shall reserve judgement, as I'm sure they will reappear through the year in my dog and hat subs box. Would I order again? Yes- I'd love to find the subtle tasting notes that I missed. Would I try the roaster again? Yep, its an unpretentious down to earth set up that pays living wage... Drink coffee be ethical, what's not to love?

#4 Keen Coffee

These guys are based in Holland, and the packaging was certainly flash. I thought the choice of a "chocolatey Brazilian" was an odd one, and wondered how much is roaster and how much is dog and hat's choice, as I would have expected something significantly more "outrageous" from them.

Brazilian - natural tasting notes on the bag: chocolate.

It tastes of chocolate. It's beautifully roasted, really easy to work with, and has a deep chocolatey taste. They are obviously a skilled roastery. If a really well done smooth rich espresso that's also light is your thing, and you don't want to be discerning whether it's Parma violets, or love hearts you are tasting then this is a great coffee. Would I buy it again? Probably not. It's just a bit middle of the road and safe. Great for impressing guests though. Would I try the roaster again. Yes... If they had a weird and wonderful coffee on offer, though postage I guess would be prohibitive.

Coming up next month...

James gourmets three way Ethiopian (in 4 ways!!) And a Chinese coffee... Stay tuned

Did someone say coffee?

Four in your first month. Bravo!

Great fun reading your reviews. I shall get my popcorn ready for next months installments...

Ve ve suvivius.... /E37s/ Eazytamp / tupperware pot / completely healthy relationship with coffee (and bank manager).

#5 James Gourmet

Bearing in mind this is a "trying different roasters" challenge I want to give massive credit to James Gourmet for tempting me to purchase despite a solid monthly subscription plan.

It's a good roaster that can sway a frugal Yorkshire woman from her spending plans..

But their trainspotter deal was too good to miss. James Gourmet have been offering a three process blend of Ethiopian Suko Qute (I think, I've chucked the bags now!) And as a special deal offered the three processes as seperate bags too.

Compared to the "tins and tat" approach of some roasters to deals like this the packaging was very simple, 3x100g bags, and a 250g bag of the blend. This had me even more delighted, as the cost was well under £20 for 550g of beans, delivered.

Each bag was so different to the others, but also clearly related. I enjoyed learning more about the continuum of flavours achieved by different processing methods, as well as how they draw together in a blend to highlight each.

I'd massively recommend James Gourmet, for excellent understated beans, with no fuss or frippery. They were beautifully roasted, and that's what matters.

Did someone say coffee?

#6 long and short

Well the long and short of it is...

Once I finished the bag I wondered if I needed to check into rehab as I absolutely flew through their Don Chico... Only to discover it was only 200g. That explains the super fast finishing of what was a delightful bean, though I didn't feel I had it quite dialled in, or that the tasting notes were possibly fanciful, hazelnut, brown sugar and dark cherry. The cherry remained elusive.

Would I buy again ? Probably not, though their website prices do seem to be in line with smaller bags, 200g just isn't quite enough for me to play with sufficiently.

Did someone say coffee?

#6 long and short

Well the long and short of it is...

Once I finished the bag I wondered if I needed to check into rehab as I absolutely flew through their Don Chico... Only to discover it was only 200g. That explains the super fast finishing of what was a delightful bean, though I didn't feel I had it quite dialled in, or that the tasting notes were possibly fanciful, hazelnut, brown sugar and dark cherry. The cherry remained elusive.

Would I buy again ? Probably not, though their website prices do seem to be in line with smaller bags, 200g just isn't quite enough for me to play with sufficiently.

I was exactly the same with the Don Chico. A lovely coffee that seemed to go by too quickly

One I am revisiting. It wouldn't make it in the single basket but I now have a 14g and could try the double

SumatraManheling.jpg

Exotic coffee? - it's unusual. Tasting notes, herbal, chocolate, clean earthy, woody notes, spicy. I understand it's more often used in blends.

They IMHO are also the best place to get monsooned malabar from but don't expect a dead even full dark roast. They seem to stop as soon as many beans go oily - good as it burns the minimum off. Much better option if some one likes the stuff. I do know of a seller where they are all even and oily but not so much taste. It gives a rather nice smooth tasting crema in a long black. From memory Coffee Compass offer a special roast - tried and a waste of the bean ;) again IMHO.

John

-

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A,. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

SageBanner_v01.jpg.a45786743a4eb401969788b45ae7f893.jpg