Rhys

Rhys - #12roasterschallenge

January 2017:

The first roaster I'm using for the #12roasterschallenge I'm going for..

Coffee Compass - Guatemala Finca El Hato CO2 decaf

E4293FF7-36CA-482D-AC93-00930E88A3E9_zpsy8v4b2md.jpg

I bought these in December mainly for my partner as she has a low tolerance to caffeine. They also suit me more for later in the day.

Mainly ground for Flat Whites, they have a nice chocolatey, smooth taste with milk (which is what we were looking for.) The sample was a darker (very shiny, wet looking) mahogany test roast. These had a richer, dark chocolate finish and were very nice with milk.

I tested both as espressos (my standard input is 16g, output is whatever I get out of the Pavoni - usually between 28g and 31g), usually just to get my grind right. Can't say I'm a fan as a spro-bean, but that's not the intent for these.

Aftertaste is a nice lingering milk choc (especially as I usually put a 1/2 tsp of sugar in the milk prior to steaming - which is just my prefrerence. Herself prefers a tsp of sugar in her 10oz)

468B5EAC-0121-446C-A1E8-C6AB2FF28BC3_zpsziruvnkt.jpg

Edited by Rhys

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3 + Mahlkonig EK43 Turkish burrs + Niche

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

Also been hitting Coffee Compass's Ethiopia Gelena Abaya.

A6A83E69-E20C-4891-9D12-D56DC6A68843_zpsyqccmjcx.jpg

Not fully rested yet, but hasn't stopped me from flatty'ing it :)

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

Also believe it or not, I've been hitting the DSOL from Nov 2015! I had a bag frozen since then and started using it about three weeks ago. It's not bad tbh and nearly finished it.

We are having a lot of work going on at the minute (back room is a bomb site, floor is completely up as the joists are rotten and even found a patch of dry rot.. just in time..)

C104AF16-FF87-445C-AF55-0E2DF97EFA36_zpsny6dj6fx.jpg

Been making flat whites for the builder doing the floor and the sparky, both said the best cuppa they've had anywhere! They'll be getting the new stuff tomorrow (they've already put in a coffee order.. ) That and my partner drinking the decaf (all gone save for a few grammes) I emptied the La Pavoini in one session. Grinding while pre-infusing, knocked out all the shots then steamed the milk one after another..

A day or so early but with resting time this should be on song.

February 2017

The second roaster to feature in my quest is..

Dear Green - Ethiopia Sidamo - fully washed and sundried - CO2 process decaffeinated.

Tasting notes say vanilla, brown sugar and cocoa.

Have to say this smells lovely, and I get a wonderful wave of aroma every-time I open my coffee cupboard. I've chosen this roaster as I've had some of their beans before c/o @jeebsy so thought I'd give them a go with their decaf.

Not really tried espresso, except for dialling my Europiccola in. With milk it's certainly not the chocolaty mahogany notes that've come with Coffee Compass' decaf. I'm getting the brown sugar and smidge of funk - not unpleasant funk though. I'm enjoying it, but my other half like the darker roasts more. Unfortunately for her I've just ordered some more decaf from Dear Green but their Kenya Chepkube AA CO2 Decaffeinated (Bright - Berries - Cocoa tasting notes) which she might not like but to keep in with the February #12roasterschallenge I'm giving it a go. :)

7FE448B7-CCEE-4DA4-8223-9D3B0CE59FD1_zps3a2lo4tp.jpg

Kenya Chepkube AA CO2 decaf. Very freshly ground and quite drinkable.

March 2017:

The third roaster I will be mostly using this month is...

Brown Bottle Coffee:

8404D321-C1A6-4B75-A438-15FF1F3A88C1_zps9mwhniet.jpgB02BA81B-8462-4887-9D0D-EB1460656064_zps5t2irypr.jpg

A nice Brazil decaf to start the month off. Mainly bought this for my other half who can't have caffeine. She's really liking it as a large flat white, and so am I. Not as dark/chocolatey as some I've had (and which will star in next months choice). Now Brown Bottle has run out of the Brazilian decaf, the next bag is...

C44007A2-4CCE-4047-9F93-B25141D77E53_zpscla2zttz.jpg

Peru-Tunki. Unfortunately along the line to having it delivered, it was re-caffeinated.. They smell wonderful though, with a massive waft coming from the bag as it was opened (before I noticed they weren't decaf..). A bit too early to try as they only landed today.

April 2017

The fourth roaster I will mostly be using this month is..

Foundry Coffee Roasters:

EE1BCD24-685F-4815-B9D3-7B4D8095DF33_zpspmy06iri.jpg

Simply because I have some to get through and don't need anymore this month.

Fazenda Londrina Decaf. Kindly sent to me by @dfk41. I'm quite enjoying this, as is my partner. It was the first coffee I decided to put through the syphon as it was around 1.30am when I decided to have a brew..

5F9039B4-96FA-41B0-8CE7-36F49C4FD7C8_zpsxhpfwzsc.jpg

Enjoyable as a V60 as well..

525D4CE5-273F-40E3-8164-9F8BB06EEDE1_zps9vtkzszn.jpg

My other half only likes milky drinks, and as a large flat white it's very nice. Although she insists I add a bit of sugar to the milk before I steam it (..well, I did convert her into liking coffee, although she only likes mine :rolleyes: I guess there's a compliment in there somewhere... )

Another for April (as I'm usually only doing decaf each month, and this one isn't) is..

Has bean

From their #SSSSS monthly subscription, and the Farami Costa Rican.. Just been blown away with this in the syphon. Filled up to the 5 cup level, it gives approx two mugs of coffee, and used 25g of beans. 45 seconds bloom, 15 seconds stir, remove heat at 1min 15s and full draw-down took one minute.

Very clean and smooth, with an almost sickly sweet candy-cane start, moving into a cocoa/dark chocolate flavour and developing into a liquorice sweet after-taste. I can still taste this after half an hour.. No bitterness or tannin-like notes on the throat at all. The only time I've switched my Pavoni on just lately is to make my other half a coffee as she prefers flat whites.

1148A5B3-3A7A-47FC-819A-8323778315EB_zpsgc6kyc7a.jpg

Really enjoyed every mouthful, especially as it cooled - it was like a liquid sweetshop!

Really enjoying the images as well as descriptions Rhys.

Home Barista Training - contact me to discuss your requirements

Oh I love that liquorice aftertaste in some coffees

And nice pics!

Edited by Stanic

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, Norvin's dosing ring, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air and HC-P, Kinu M68, Feld47 travel, Aergrind, Bellman steamer, IMS baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, BWT Bestmax Premium

I'm really enjoying your reviews and pics too :)

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

May 2017

The sixth roaster, and one of two that I am using this month for the #12roasterschallenge is...

Coaltown Coffee Roasters from Wales.. with their Jenkin Jones Decaf

AFA379A0-9732-4570-B332-643359AEF45A_zps21bn9jd9.jpg

These beans smell quite sweet, even my other half commented on this as I shoved the bag under her nose.

As a flat white, she told me it was very smooth. I made a syphon (guessed the grind as usual, and I don't think I was far off.) 22g into a 5 cup syphon which gives 2 good mugfulls.

Amongst the tasting notes are brown sugar and pineapple, and everyone pointed towards it being sweet. From the lingering after-taste that hints of pineapple, I can attest it is sweet.

I'll try it myself as a flat white, just to see what its like.

Label from Coaltown..

3264765D-4C0D-413E-9BE8-7FB19A12A7D8_zpscvlqhory.jpg

Just to show the veriaty/location/tasting notes...

Decided to crack on with the 7th roaster of my #12roasterschallenge, which is..

Extract Coffee Swiss Water Decaf

1192CA28-1240-4702-A33B-E3BE799DF072_zpspbbmyym1.jpg

I made an espresso with the Exract, which are darker beans than the Coaltown (which I guessed would be the case due to the cocoa tasting notes). Knew I'd dialled it in when I got a nice pour...

E3183959-7817-4572-A979-464FE7833FC8_zpspkyjuk8a.jpg

Lovely and smooth and definitely has a chestnut aftertaste, which I'm still getting with a flat white.

Very nice coffee, with the bonus of being decaf.

My 8th roaster is a new one which only started up in March this year. All the way north and then a bit, I read about them in an emailed newsletter.

The Orkney Roastery, Aria Chora & Aria Oevrture.

2F985F69-9ADD-4B7E-B5E0-FDA5A05BF33F_zpsubchotnh.jpg

Aria Choro is "A medium-dark Brazilian Dulce grown at high elevation in Ipanema. Rich and round with a muscovado sweetness and a nutty finish"

Aria Overture is a "Medium-dark roasted espresso in a classic Italian style with 100% blended Arabica beans. This espresso has a rounded caramel sweetness set off by a bright acidity"

..warming up the Pavoni as I type.

Ive subscribed to an Orkney newsletter a few years ago after visiting a couple of times. The Orkney Roastrey happened to be one of the articles and instantly I was intrigued.

After a few emails (as the website isn't finished yet) and a phone call last week, I decided to order a bag for my syphon. Then whilst chatting about espresso, I ordered a bag of that as well..

I haven't seen anyone else mention these so hopefully they'll be one to recommend.

OK, made as espresso out of the Overture. Orkney Roasters say they prefer to rest the beans before sending them out so they should be ready to go once you get them (I expect if you want to rest them yourself they'll send fresher ones out). The Choro were freshly roasted and more suited to brewed.

The beans are darker, more DSOL dark and have some oils coming out. I ground 16g and found the shoulders of my tamper were above the basket. Usually with dark roasts I'll weigh 15g. The 16g produced 22g output and a little sour. So decided as they were an Italian style espresso I ground 14g a bit finer (which IIRC is an Italian double) and made a flat white.

504237A7-D5C2-4511-BCD8-F561664CB00C_zpshmoggyie.jpg

16g into 22g. Quite a dark, rich crema and a deep, dark taste but sourish so into the sink it went. Can't give tasting notes as this was a test grind to find a ballpark to start with. Didn't have much water left in the Pavoni so made a flat white instead as milk is more forgiving.

EE1DBD2D-F67D-4D06-ABC3-1A1003ACBE5E_zpsceusvq5c.jpg

Yeah, I know.. Latte art is rusty from lack of practice :rolleyes:

In a way this reminds me of the Australian Skyberry Estate dark roast, same intense richness and cuts through the milk. I really liked the Skyberry and I'm sure once dialled in I will like this in milk.

I have to say though, that I do prefer lighter roasts (which I have several on the go) so it's nice to have a dark roast for when the mood takes me.

Edited by Rhys

Onto my 9th roaster and one that is local to me..

York Coffee Emporium

327DA570-F7F2-4EEE-80C9-F49CADD26326_zps8vgnjn4r.jpg

Decided to pop by and pick up a bag, and Laurence being the start he is, gave me some Single Origin as well.

So I've ended up with a decaf blend, and a Colombia Antioquia decaf.

Blurb from the website says:

Decaf blend

Taste

This is a great-tasting decaffeinated coffee, sweet, bright and smooth with a lively cocoa after-taste.

Facts

A blend of two superb Central American decaffeinated coffees, Peruvian McM and Honduras SHG, this coffee is CO2-processed to remove the caffeine.

Decaf Colombia Antioquia

Taste

This coffee is truly remarkable, if you didn’t know it was decaffeinated you really would not be able to tell! Trick your guests or even treat yourself to a truly beautiful cup of this amazing Colombian coffee.

Massive notes of toffee come through this brilliant coffee, with subtle sweet flavours of fudge, Brazil nuts and a soft creamy body.

What we have found really phenomenal about this particular cup, is that despite being a decaf, there are so many incredible flavours that burst through, with its creamy rich body, full of delicious toffee fudge and Brazil nuts, the coffee still holds a lovely subtle acidity and all together brings a wonderful flavour profile that any coffee drinker would be happy to sip.

Coincidentally, as well as being my 9th coffee roaster for the #12roasterschallenge, YCE do a blend called 'The 9th' which is a reference to the Roman 9th Legion..

Julius Caesar's Ninth Legion built the first Roman Fort in Eboracum (York) and gives its name to this lovely blend. Embodying what we are about at York Coffee Emporium, this coffee is a medium-roasted hug in a cup.

I've had most of their coffees, and although mainstream medium roasted, they rarely disappoint.

My 10th roaster has just delivered their decaf today..

Union

Decaf Maraba Rwanda. Washed red bourbon. Light roasted as well.

Tasting notes say: Tangerine, Redcurrant and Toffee..

Looking forward to trying these in a few days.

EDE0CFC0-3193-483A-B90C-CC516C05D253_zpsri8ptwcv.jpg

Rather like the packaging as well,

B70732C5-D2CC-4DAD-A304-2EE9A4A9D113_zpszszvvygg.jpg

Tasting notes say 'tangerine - redcurrant - toffee'

I'm getting more of a grapefruit/zesty tangerine thing going on in espresso (15g>34g). Not tried it in milk yet but it got the approval of my other half. Great thing is ive just had two and it's gone half past 10 at night! :)

11th Roaster (nearly there...)

Craft House Coffee

Brazil Fazenda Londrina Decaf (pretty sure I've had this from another roaster, without looking back..)

36051684771_151f204637_b.jpg

Tasting notes say "Light orange zest with a full caramel and hazelnut body" and from the AeroPress I'm getting the zesty, fruitiness coming through followed by a caramel finish. Did 14g and filled it up to the brim with water. Gave it a shake (forgot to stir) inverted, left for a minute then pressed. Unfortunately my AeroPress is leaking a bit as the rubber is worn.

Now getting the Hazelnut while typing this.. Still getting the zestyness coming through. This is really nice. Think I'll Syphon it tomorrow. :cool:

And a big thanks to Flickr for hosting my pics, as I've gone right off Photoblocket.

11th Roaster (nearly there...)

Craft House Coffee

Brazil Fazenda Londrina Decaf (pretty sure I've had this from another roaster, without looking back..)

36051684771_151f204637_b.jpg

Tasting notes say "Light orange zest with a full caramel and hazelnut body" and from the AeroPress I'm getting the zesty, fruitiness coming through followed by a caramel finish. Did 14g and filled it up to the brim with water. Gave it a shake (forgot to stir) inverted, left for a minute then pressed. Unfortunately my AeroPress is leaking a bit as the rubber is worn.

Now getting the Hazelnut while typing this.. Still getting the zestyness coming through. This is really nice. Think I'll Syphon it tomorrow. :cool:

And a big thanks to Flickr for hosting my pics, as I've gone right off Photoblocket.

Would you recommend this one? I'm looking for more decaff to try in filter brews.

Here it is, my twelfth roaster for my #12roasterschallenge..

Brown Bear

Cool Brazil Swiss water decaf..

36279763182_50a049fd46_z.jpg

...and here's me trying it out with my new naked portafilter..

[video=youtube;HNceySOc-u8]

More than likely a commodity coffee as Mrboots2u thinks. I tend to agree with him.

This will most certainly be commodity coffee.

You pays what you get get for and at £2.5 a bag with no details on farm or origin, then that probably tells you all you need to know.

With 50% off, that covered the postage.

Anyway, it's a decaf coffee and tasting notes mention cocoa and walnuts.. which probably goes for most medium roast 'normal' coffees available.

When guestimating the grind, the resulting shot was acceptable. 15.5g > 32g (see above video). Started off smooth but soured in the after-taste. I think this would suit as a milk based drink, not so sure about espresso. Then again, I'm preferring lighter roasts nowadays, and this is labelled as a medium.

Since it got a shout on the forum, it was worth a punt but probably a bit of a cop-out for this challenge due to the origins and roast date (or lack of.. :rolleyes:) so I'm taking it as my '11½' roaster.. that means I'm now doing a #12½roasterschallenge @Glenn, do I get a special badge :whistle::D

Well done @Rhys

I'll be sorting out #12roasterschallenge participants with a little something in December :)

Home Barista Training - contact me to discuss your requirements

Here's my 12th (proper) roaster for my #1roasterschallenge :rolleyes:

Django Coffee Co.

4 coffee selection pack..

36914242592_367e87b465_z.jpg

Been enjoying these lately in my Moka Pot. Tucked into the La Bolsa this evening. A Guatemalan with notes of peach, Nectarine and Pear. 15g into approx 250g water, then topped up with hot water. A nice, tasty brew.

..and 13th goes to...

Carvetii Coffee Roasters

Solwara, Papua New Guinea - Single Origin - Fully Washed - CO2 process Decaf

36895911496_375cc76b2c_z.jpg

Carvetii have always been my go-to roaster when I want something I can depend on (either them or York Coffee Emporium when I need something straight away). Ever since I sampled an Americano at Brew & Brownie in York, have I liked these roasters. They also sent me a lovely mug this time (and an espresso cup/saucer in past orders)

To keep my theme of decaf going, I've also decided to include this one as one of my #12roasterschallenge coffees.

Sowara is a PNG SO, fully washed. It has tasting notes initially of peanut, leading onto peach. With a creamy mouth-feel and caramelised brown sugar sweetness (although the website says Red Apple, Apricot and Sweet finish). My other half enjoyed it as a flat white the other day and I'll be brewing it up in my Moka Pot tomorrow evening.

37088656375_afac14a787_z.jpg

Edited by Rhys

14th... ermm.. guessing a bakers's dozen is 13, so a CFUK dozen might well be 14 :rolleyes:

Dark Arts Coffee.

37157039300_c15276feb7.jpg

After having the second offering of their #DSOL I thought it should be fitting to try their decaf as well. Plus, I like a nice wake-up drink on a morning for myself..

The decaf is lovely, and one I would definitely buy again (although I have plenty of coffee at the min, otherwise I'd be in on the decaf thread..). The espresso is smooth as well as fruity. Not tried it in a flat white yet.

I did actually get some nice latte art, but after a sip, I decided to add the foam that was left in my jug.. well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.. :whistle: