Glenn

12 Roasters Challenge

I'd like to run a little competition in 2017 to reward those who push the boundaries of taste and wish to improve their palates.

The idea is simple: Try a different roaster each month

Start a thread with the roaster whose beans you're drinking in January and update this thread at least monthly (or each time you try a new roaster), listing the roaster and beans you have already enjoyed and the beans you are currently drinking.

Add any tasting notes and a photo of the bag also.

Add any likes / dislikes too, so that we can all explore different beans.

Each person who completes the challenge will get a special badge assigned in 2018 and will go into the draw for a prize.

Trying the beans from the forum sponsors is a great place to start.

We also have a few new roasters coming on board shortly.

• Like 1

Home Barista Training - contact me to discuss your requirements

I'd like to run a little competition in 2017 to reward those who push the boundaries of taste and wish to improve their palates.

The idea is simple: Try a different roaster each month

Start a thread with the roaster whose beans you're drinking in January and update this thread at least monthly (or each time you try a new roaster), listing the roaster and beans you have already enjoyed and the beans you are currently drinking.

Add any tasting notes and a photo of the bag also.

Add any likes / dislikes too, so that we can all explore different beans.

Each person who completes the challenge will get a special badge assigned in 2018 and will go into the draw for a prize.

Trying the beans from the forum sponsors is a great place to start.

We also have a few new roasters coming on board shortly.

So as not to feel alienated, I take it there will also be a category for decaf drinkers?

Decaf is coffee , well kinda .. :) plus always people looking for decaf options to explore . be a good thead to have

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

@dfk41 This is a coffee forum and decaf coffee counts. I have had some great decafs in the past year that you would be hard pressed to tell were decaf.

So have I which strikes the question, does decaf have a particular taste, or not, as the case might be. I have tried to introduce decaf as a topic a few times, but I always get the impression people think of it as the poor mans relation, as indeed I did! I am going to start a new decaf thread as see if it goes anywhere

I think I'd be up for this, as we drink both 'normal' and decaf.

I think the stigma decaf gets isn't just from drinkers as a 'poor man's relation', but can also be from some roasters (one roaster I spoke to said it wasn't as nice as normal caffeinated coffee, and was more difficult to roast as it was dryer so prone to catching fire!). Also many roasters only offer one decaf option, two at the most. Though emailing them might yield more that they don't mention on the web.

It'll certainly make it a challenge to get folks away from their usual go-to roaster and try something different. I'm guessing a comparison can be got from different roasters using the same beans as well to see how their profiles vary?

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3 + Mahlkonig EK43 Turkish burrs + Niche

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

Isn't this what the "In my cup" thread is for? Right enough not many using it these days

Isn't this what the "In my cup" thread is for? Right enough not many using it these days

Right enough, but in that thread you can use the same roaster most of the time (Has Bean SSSS for eg.) so not not really a challenge, where as this one gets you looking for different roasters.

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

A nice idea, but I tend to find a roaster that I like and then work through their range.

So although I am likely to try lots of different beans, I doubt that they would come from more than half a dozen different roasters over the year.

I don't really get through enough to be able to truly spread the love AND show a bit of loyalty to the roasters that I like.

BOOM! You've just been onomatopoeia'd

I am terrible at making decisions, the month would be over before I picked a roaster.

Would it be too complicated if we expressed interest, went into a pool, then drew lots as to which roaster to try that month?

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Roaster blind date!

I like it.

You don't have to put your car keys in a bowl or anything do you?

BOOM! You've just been onomatopoeia'd

You don't have to put your car keys in a bowl or anything do you?

Showing your age, Nick:)

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

DSOL and LSOL are like roaster blind date.

This challenge is all about experiencing other roasters.

Most of us drink 500g a month so get in a 250g bag from your favourite and a 250g bag from a new roaster and see what happens.

I get beans generally through subscriptions and locals.

I would be happy to write up on roasters as I find them.

Just to get this straight. Once a poster starts a thread on a given roaster, would the rest of us be best posting in that roaster thread over the year as needed??

I was thinking more along the lines of updating your own thread with each roaster tried.

That way we could see who is drinking what as well :)

It is also a good way of suggesting to others a bean to try based on their previous purchasing habits.

Would this need to be in a beans 'sub-forum' to keep everything together?

If we get a few takers then I can create one

A few years ago, maybe around 2011 or 2012, I decided I was going to go on a mission and try every roaster on the list in the beans section.

It wasn't as big in those days and I got quite a way into it before I lost interest partly because it was costing me a lot to have 250g delivered at a time, partly because I found out some retailers margins were very fair and others weren't and partly because I had a row with Garraways over some beans that weren't fresh that one of their employees was insisting would be fine for 12 months!

After that I played it safe but this sounds like a lot of fun.

I've already just started a batch of 3 different coffees from Atkinsons that have been on my hit list for ages , since mrboots2u recommended them to me.

I'm not a creature of habit and rarely buy the same liquid twice in 12 months, whether it be craft beer, whisky, wine or coffee so this will be no hardship at all to me.

So have I which strikes the question, does decaf have a particular taste, or not, as the case might be. I have tried to introduce decaf as a topic a few times, but I always get the impression people think of it as the poor mans relation, as indeed I did! I am going to start a new decaf thread as see if it goes anywhere

I don't know why this is but whenever I try decaf it just doesn't really do it for me. I'm not sure if it's the way it's decaffeinated or the quality of beans used but it tends to leave me thinking, meh. I think I'll try a couple of decafs when I start this just to see if there's one out there that I really like. I can't think why there wouldn't be but I haven't found it yet unfortunately.

Two queries.

1) can I start with what's in my cupboard?

2) will LSOL count?

If both are yes I'm willing to give it a go, but it's mainly the reason I'm part of LSOL- to try different roasters at an affordable price.

Did someone say coffee?

:Gaggia Classic--> Nuova Simonelli Oscar--> fracino Cherub:Mazzer SuperJolly:Hario V60+aeropress+french press:

Great idea. I'm automatically starting January with a new roaster, Atkinsons, as I have taken out a sub. I'm constantly looking to try different roasters/beans etc.

I am terrible at making decisions, the month would be over before I picked a roaster.

Dont worry you are not alone :-)

¿ ǝsǝɥʇ pɐǝɹ ǝuoʎuɐ sǝop

This is pretty much what I do anyway - so I'm in.

Presumably it's just 'different' roasters, rather than roasters you've never tried? That could become tricky...

Yes, if it's in your hopper in January it counts.

LSOL / DSOL counts also.