Firstly, just wanted to give a shout out to @jimbojohn55 who has put up with a ton of PM's from me asking all kinds of questions relating to his Mazzer refurb. My refurb pretty much follows his as closely as possible.

I have never really liked the look of the Mazzer Super Jolly and whilst most people seem to agree its a great machine I also have to have something that looks pretty good visual too. I recently invested in a "coffee trolley" type thing from ikea and therefore size of grinder isn't much of an issue anymore. I was going to wait for the Baratza Sette to release in the UK, you know, something nice, new and modern but i stumbled across a few Mazzer refurb threads on this forum and was amazed at what an old Mazzer can become with a little care an attention. I decided I could buy an old Mazzer and refurbish it for much cheaper than the Sette, it will more than likely still out live the Sette and further more the sense of achievement is great knowing I put the work in rather than splashing cash around.

The pictures below are up to the point I am at now. I am currently waiting for some parts to arrive from Espresso Solutions (new burrs among other bits and bobs) and I will continue to update until it is complete. I am aiming to be using it by next weekend!

Background on the SJ

I bought it for £140 via eBay from a chap in York (who I think is also a member on here but don't know their username) and so figured I could make a day of it with the GF. Collected the SJ, walked around York, visited Spring Espresso and then headed back.

First inspection;

• Bearings seemed ok
  • Burrs didn't seem to be official Mazzer burrs
  • Very small crack in the doser clear plastic
  • Scratches to the body
  • Clean sweep mod already done
  • Power cable not great condition
  • Needs a damn good clean
  • Mazzer badge has some paint chipped off of it, not a problem other than it annoys me and will likely be replaced

Plan of action;

• Strip down SJ to give a thorough clean
  • Sand, fill, sand, primer and paint (satin black)
  • Replace power cable
  • Order burrs, springs, screws, pin for brass cog
  • Buy egg timer from morrisons for the doser
  • Remove current clean sweep mod in favour of the more elegant heat shrink method
  • Order gloss black gauge from @timmyjj21
  • Fit some kind of chute to doser
  • Buy and fit lens hood and lid from @jimbojohn55

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Removed the power cable, green power light and on/off switch ready for sanding but was really cautious as I had never done any kind of sanding or painting before. The pic below shows just one side i had begun to sand. Sanding is HARD btw lol. I started with 600 grit wet and dry but it would of taken me a week just to sand. Instead I changed to 240 grit wet and dry and overall it took me around 4-5 hours to sand.

SJ sanding 1.jpg

Edited by Kyle T

Bought some filler recommended to me which does a great job and can be bought from Halfords for £2.99. http://www.halfords.com/motoring/pai...FQXnGwodsTgCzw

I continued to use 240 grit wet and dry to sand the filler down, constantly wiping the grinder down and checking for every little lump and bump.

SJ filling and sanding.jpg

After I was happy with the sanding/filling I started to apply the primer https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005JCRF8Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I applied 5 coats of primer giving roughly an hour between coats and softly sanding with 1500 grit wet and dry between each coat.

I actually think I preferred the colour of the primer over the actual satin black but hey ho.

SJ primer 2.jpg

SJ primer 1.jpg

Thats it so far, i am expecting my parts to arrive this week coming and once I have it all together I will add some pictures of it completely finished and ready to go.

I'm looking forward to the finished grinder,

and son of a doodle - that's a hell of a paint job 11 coats -wow

re the badge - I would be tempted to either spray the old one silver or touch up with enamel paint

cheers Jim

@Kyle T I'm your mystery seller ;) looks good, glad your giving it the refurb it deserves. You're making me want to do a refurb on my own now, however you saw it was in much worse condition than this. A job when I move house I think. That's a cracking effort if you've never done any spray painting before. Probably don't need so many coats but no harm done.

Do you plan on adding a lacquer layer on top of the paint? I'd suggest this for a matt lacquer https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rustoleum-AE0040003E8-400ml-Crystal-Clear/dp/B001W03PS6/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_sims?ie=UTF8

A lacquered top coat will be a bit more resistant to damage than just paint, keep it looking tip top for longer. It does however take ages to dry even after a couple of days it can still be tacky and imprinted with finger prints when handling. I usually leave stuff a 4-5 days before moving just to be sure

Shiny new burrs arrived today!

Top burr.jpg

A top tip for anyone taking the bottom burr carrier out, make sure the 2 little notches either side of the motor shaft line up and fit into the 2 little slots on the underside of the burr carrier. I learned the hard way tonight, wondering why my gauge would only go on two turns maximum. I almost took a hammer to try and tap it down slightly :exit:A good way to know if you have the lower burr carrier all the way down is by following the 3rd picture below. Those 3 prongs on the burr carrier should be almost flush with the top of the chute.

chute.jpg

bottom burr.jpg

shaft.jpg

slots.jpg

Applied the heatshrink to the doser today (thanks @jimbojohn55) but i am yet to fit the chute. I put it all back together and gave it a few test runs. Boy is it a messy machine! I obviously had it set way to coarse to being with as it ran through the beans and spat them everywhere! Took about 4-5 attempts to get a ok double shot from it. At the moment i am filling the lens hood with beans but this makes it awkward when wanting to adjust grind settings because as I am trying to adjust it, it is spitting grinds all over the shop. I am sure I will get use to it though. But i feel like i need something (a plate of some sort) to cover the chute to stop grinds getting thrown straight out of the doser, which brings me to the fifth picture below, is that what the plate is for?

plate.jpg

heatshrink doser.jpg

heatshrink.jpg

SJ 1.jpg

SJ 2.jpg

Applied the heatshrink to the doser today (thanks @jimbojohn55) but i am yet to fit the chute. I put it all back together and gave it a few test runs. Boy is it a messy machine! I obviously had it set way to coarse to being with as it ran through the beans and spat them everywhere! Took about 4-5 attempts to get a ok double shot from it. At the moment i am filling the lens hood with beans but this makes it awkward when wanting to adjust grind settings because as I am trying to adjust it, it is spitting grinds all over the shop. I am sure I will get use to it though. But i feel like i need something (a plate of some sort) to cover the chute to stop grinds getting thrown straight out of the doser, which brings me to the fifth picture below, is that what the plate is for?

Hi Kyle,

Yes, the plate covers the outlet, but you can't fit it unless you put the top pieces back on with the thumbscrew.

It might fit under the Morrisons egg timer top though as it has a tag on the outer edge which locates in the doser body and providing that the top screw is tight enough without distorting the egg timer it might hold that plate.

Never tried it myself as I thought it would be another area to trap grounds.

I always have a ramekin under the outlet chute so it catches any of the grounds which are thrown about.

Richard

I think there are a few guides / words of wisdom on here about adjusting you burrs after re-assembly if you havent seen them. To distill to the minimal...screw down the upper burr with the motor running (slowly). When the upper and lower start to come into contact, you will hear it. It sounds like a Cricket in a hot part of the world. This represents your zero point. Note it from the gauge if you can, your only adjustments from here are backing off, and back in toward that if you go too coarse. The burrs move far more than you might imagine for a perceived small rotational movement - at least as far as coffee in the cup is concerned. You will notice this based on how the length of time varies on running a shot through your machine.