Coffee Forums banner

Should I ?

Tags
l 1 londinium
4K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  Thecatlinux 
#1 ·
Hi I've had a rocket giotto with pid for roughly 2yrs and enjoy the cappuccinos each morning but when I bought the machine I lived in a house with limited space and no way was my wife gonna tolerate a lever machine cluttering the kitchen up! we've since moved and I now keep the rocket in the utility room so space isn't a problem sooooooooo, has anyone gone from e61 to lever and if so do you think it is worth me selling the rocket and looking at a second hand L1? would I notice much difference in the shots? also I have a mazzer major would this be ok or would I be better upgrading that as well and what to ?(I only have two drinks a day so ideally would want one that doesn't spray granules everywhere or waste coffee) thanks ! regards Ian

#4 ·
I think you should try and find a member with an L1 and try it before you make the switch, if possible with your grinder and preferred coffee. The rocket is also a very capable machine, I'd guess the differences are more subtle than from an entry level machine to the L1.

#7 ·
I've tried a coffee from the Rocket which was very good but it was made for me by someone very experienced in making coffee. The thing with the L1 is consistency of great shot after great shot. And you don't need to be an expert to use it. Once you have your grinder set up to the L1 you'll never put a shot down the sink. Had mine three years just changed the piston and pf seals myself which was a doddle and like new again. If you are only drinking two cups a day not sure it's worth upgrading, depends how much you love coffee I suppose.

#8 ·
Bear in mind very few come up used - search the classifieds and you'll find only 2 have sold this year this far and you need to be quick. So maybe need to consider shelling out new for one. Still there's enough around on the forum for a generous owner to potentially let you have a play.

#9 ·
You don't need to be an expert to use a pump machine either, and I switch coffee (and often roaster) every 250g bag and sometimes get sink shots (that taste foul if drunk).

It's a high end home use espresso machine at the end of the day, like many others. It's a very good one for sure, and I'm incredibly happy with mine but don't assume it is going to give you superior results without trying side by side first.

#10 ·
Here is what I hear, as someone who can only dream of such set ups.

You secretly always hankered after an L1, but practicalities prevented it.

Now you have the space. So the question isn't really is it better, but do you have the spare cash to indulge a fantasy?

If you do- go for it. The coffee is very unlikely to disappoint you if you are in love with the machine.( I can't imagine it could be producing something worse than other high end machines.... )

If it turns out you hate it, then at least you've scratched the itch.

#11 ·
I think a question has already been answered above with regards how good the L1 is in that there are very few second hand ones. That's because they are fabulous to look at, to use, to show off to your friends. Let me point out too that I change beans regularly and in three years I can count on one hand how many shots I've put down the sink. The L1 is so forgiving even a bad shot from it is most people's good shot. Sorry I've raved on long enough.

#18 ·
the first think you will notice is how conservative the L1 is with your precious water,

the second thing you would notice is how easy it is to maintain and keep clean the group.

and finally with very little effort how great the results are in the cup time and time again.

good luck finding a secondhand one , they do come up, but most owners feel like they have reached a pinicle and as a consequence don't feel it necessary to part with them.

foundry retails them but don't expect their Black Friday offer to work .LOL

#19 ·
Thanks everyone for your input I think it's something I'm going to have to do ! but as I can only afford to look at second I will probably have to be patient ! I currently have a mazzer major with ti burrs will this be an ok paring or will I need to upgrade ? If so which grinder would be good less than a grand second hand? It would only be used by me a couple of times a day so ideally I'd want one that would make loads of mess and not waste too much coffee

#23 ·
ianskelly said:
Thanks everyone for your input I think it's something I'm going to have to do ! but as I can only afford to look at second I will probably have to be patient ! I currently have a mazzer major with ti burrs will this be an ok paring or will I need to upgrade ? If so which grinder would be good less than a grand second hand? It would only be used by me a couple of times a day so ideally I'd want one that would make loads of mess and not waste too much coffee
I used the major with mine , its a more than capable grinder .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.