holdtheonions

Plumb L1 for Line PI

Hi, so ended up getting L1 and was going to plumb like so

L1.jpg

Anyone ever done it or know if done with good results? I plumbed baby lever with line pi prior to this machine and big improvement. L1 not as bad obviously, but still needs it IMO.

Primarily wondering if cold water going straight into HX would mess with TS. Thinking it wouldn't, but never know. I can address with preheater, which I've done before, but would need to buy a few more things, so rather not if I don't have to.

Parts on the way, so try regardless, but curious what to expect.

Thanks for any feedback.

Hello holdtheonions,

The TS will work without problems, the temperature on the group depends on the number of coffees and cooling flushes.

You can control the temperature partially by different settings of pressure switch.

The disadvantage is that heating up time is 45min (15min with original setup).

Edited by mazi

Why not buy the correct kit from Londinium? You need to remove the vibe pump from memory as well

• Like 1

With the kit from Londinium you just change the tank/line pressure.

The original setup will be the same. So the group head is still feed from the boiler and not with cold water with line pressure as L1P.

Hello holdtheonions,

I did this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23711[/ATTACH]

Now it is HX cold feed from water tank. The pump is manually operated by switch.

The TS works without problems, the temperature on the group depends on the number of coffees and cooling flushes.

You can control the temperature partially by different settings of pressure switch.

The disadvantage is that heating up time is now 45min (15min with original setup).

Stregified, that's awesome. Considered that on my previous machine, but found I was satisfied enough with line pressure, and was maybe also not 100% confident my homemade hx setup could handle pump pressure :confused: I actually have extra OPV, but think I'll start with line pi and pid though. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the feedback.

Ok, I did it. It's great! Will make some youtubes in a week or so after had a chance to use it a bit.

L1LinePI.jpg

First, no pump noise is simply brilliant.

Just hisses for a few seconds and then done. Didn't time it, but initially filled the whole boiler in something less than 15 seconds. Wow! It took mine 3 pumps runs to fill when I first got the machine, so quite a difference.

Second, I used a 1/8" 6mm nipple to connect to the heat exchanger to the 1/8" t-fitting, and by accident the effect is to reduce the flow rate while still increasing the pressure. So complete saturation takes 3 to 5 seconds on a grind that boiler pressure wouldn't even saturate after 20 to 30 seconds previously, but the water doesn't spray out of the grouphead during flushing like it did before, just a really nice ample flow. This was unexpected benefit. If you can't solder, then will need to use a 1/4" hose and 1/4" to 1/8" connector. Regardless, may also need to regulate the pressure coming into your machine depending on how high it is. I didn't have to on mine.

After this decided I also want to make a similar modification to the water tap, because the water sprays out too fast as well for my liking. Thinking simply going 1/4" to 1/8" to 1/4" would restrict the flow in that tube and give better result.

Third, as far as I can figure, mine is heating and the TS is functioning the same as before. I measured grouphead, both before and after the modification and it maxes out at the same temp in same amount of time (30-35 minutes).

Fourth, my machine has the new seals and was previously catching around 45 degrees, and I am guessing it is now somewhere between 50-55 degrees. I don't know how to measure it, but it is noticeably greater and the overall pressure of the system is clearly greater. I will show it in the youtube. Whether it's better or not is too early to tell.

Fifth, very minor benefits being the boiler doesn't have to fill anymore after pulling a shot and I can flush the grouphead even when the machine is cold.

I purchased fittings at espressocare.com and below are the ones I used for reference. The last two fittings are to convert from 3/8" bsp to 3/8" npt compression, you may not need or may need something different. Also, will need some sort of high-temperature/high-pressure thread sealer or gasket for any of the non-compression connections, e.g. the 1/4" plug. I use Permatex Red and give it 24-hours to cure.

L1PartsList.jpg

PID and water tube mod will be next.

You tube link is broke

¿ ǝsǝɥʇ pɐǝɹ ǝuoʎuɐ sǝop

I'm struggling to see the point of this given that Reiss's plumbed design works perfectly, is silent in operation and retainers the 5 minute warm up advantage. If ever there was a machine that didn't need fiddling with..

@holdtheonions Did you measure the temperature of the cold water line? Without non return valve and OPV the hot water from HX is flowing back.

I'm struggling to see the point of this given that Reiss's plumbed design works perfectly, is silent in operation and retainers the 5 minute warm up advantage. If ever there was a machine that didn't need fiddling with..

I think the point is that pre-infusion is at higher than boiler pressure. With the L1 kit, you still only pre-infuse at ~1.3 bar. It makes it more like the L1P in that respect, which is why the lever catches a bit lower.

Would be interested to hear what @lespresso makes of it.

Interesting thread this as I am looking to plumb in soon (I have the kit from Londinium, but am always looking for better alternatives!)

Have you plumbed for waste, or is that for the future?

Machine: Londinium L1

Grinder: EK43LE

Beans: Baristrocracy Ethiopian

Instagram: andrewrellim

Because it provides line pressure preinfusion, which IMO is superior. I have used it for a little over a year on my baby lever and was one of the biggest difference I noted going to the Londinium, so getting back to it just feels right to me. If you are use to boiler pressure pi, it may feel wrong.

@holdtheonions Did you measure the temperature of the cold water line? Without non return valve and OPV the hot water from HX is flowing back.

That is a very good point. I use it on a timer and in an hour it does not get hot enough down the line to be an issue. I used this same configuration for about a year with my previous lever and have validated this before. Note that in my setup the water hose is about 1.7 meters long and comes out next to the floor. So if you have different configuration, or if you leave your machine on all day, or don't have a timer and forget to turn it off, then you may need to account for it, I don't know the answer. Also, Reis warns that you are crazy if you do not have automatic water shutoff in case of leak. I don't have that either.

That is a very good point. I use it on a timer and in an hour it does not get hot enough down the line to be an issue. I used this same configuration for about a year with my previous lever and have validated this before. Note that in my setup the water hose is about 1.7 meters long and comes out next to the floor. So if you have different configuration, or if you leave your machine on all day, or don't have a timer and forget to turn it off, then you may need to account for it, I don't know the answer. Also, Reis warns that you are crazy if you do not have automatic water shutoff in case of leak. I don't have that either.

Considering the nominal price of a non return valve I'd fit one as standard if plumbing anything into mains water.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

I think the point is that pre-infusion is at higher than boiler pressure. With the L1 kit, you still only pre-infuse at ~1.3 bar. It makes it more like the L1P in that respect, which is why the lever catches a bit lower.

Would be interested to hear what @lespresso makes of it.

Indeed. I think there's an argument to say that longer lower pressure infusion is mor likely to stabilise the puck than 2-3 bar of line pressure, but my only experience of line level preinfusion was on my HX E61, which hardly bears comparison with an L1.

The other issue I'd be looking carefully at is how well the smaller boiler of the L1 (compared to the P) handles the HX in terms of consistency.

i just love the simplicity of the L1 design though. It seems a shame to modify it! :)

Nice.

So, apart from a presumably longer recovery time, what's the difference between an L1 modded in this way and the L1-P with it's larger boiler?

I was under the impression that one of the reasons for the larger boiler on the L1-P was down to the correct sizing of the vertical HX arrangement - the L1 by design not actually having an HX as such, rather a thermosyphon loop through the boiler. They might therefore be entirely different volume/surface areas?

L1-P | E10 | VST | Feldgrind | Kalita

I still can't see what the advantages are but I admire your spirit of adventure ,

me personally I like to have tank fed water as I belive good water quality to be paramount.

I am also very happy with how the standard setup works and I am of the mindset of if it ain't broke don't fix it .

I am however interested in your adventures and looking forward to the videos

¿ ǝsǝɥʇ pɐǝɹ ǝuoʎuɐ sǝop

Considering the nominal price of a non return valve I'd fit one as standard if plumbing anything into mains water.

It's will be around $50 for me, currently and have considered it previously, but prolly won't as not had any issues with it previously and using superior tubing on this machine.

One final comment on this topic is that it is building code in some (most?) places, so should also consider that and the effect on your insurance, i.e. you may not be covered if you have problems???

Indeed. I think there's an argument to say that longer lower pressure infusion is mor likely to stabilise the puck than 2-3 bar of line pressure, but my only experience of line level preinfusion was on my HX E61, which hardly bears comparison with an L1.

The other issue I'd be looking carefully at is how well the smaller boiler of the L1 (compared to the P) handles the HX in terms of consistency.

i just love the simplicity of the L1 design though. It seems a shame to modify it! :)

On your first and last points, it will simply be a matter of preference. This is relatively cheap mod and easy to reverse, so figure no harm in playing with it. I have only been using it a couple days, so final verdict is still out. I can say that it is making a bigger difference on the 18g vst basket over the stock basket. I was using the stock basket almost exclusively as I found the vst to be too unforgiving, largely due to partial infusions. For me this is absolutely making it practical to pull 18-19g shots again with the vst.

On the second point, it won't handle it as well due to the lower thermal mass, but I am pulling a couple of 30g shots, not 200 shots in a day. The grouphead is massive and ridiculously oversized for that application. This configuration brings the machine to the same temp and my workflow is such that the machine has plenty of time to recover between shots. This could only be an issue IMO if you were trying to save money by employing an L1 in a commercial setting, which I can already say don't do that.

Nice.

So, apart from a presumably longer recovery time, what's the difference between an L1 modded in this way and the L1-P with it's larger boiler?

Maybe someone who used both can better speak to it, but I don't believe anything other than stronger steaming power and recovery time. Either could be reason enough for some.

Interesting thread this as I am looking to plumb in soon (I have the kit from Londinium, but am always looking for better alternatives!)

Have you plumbed for waste, or is that for the future?

I didn't plumb for waste, and don't have a means for it. I can say it would be well worth it if you can, as the pull up and out drip tray is really crap IMO, and I have continued to use a bowl as I believe it to be easier. The drip tray is one of my biggest disappointments with this machine.

@holdtheonions

On a related note: have you noticed any need to change your prep routine and/or grind?

The oft quoted mantra from L1 owners is "grind fine, tamp light" with some seeming to use little more than the weight of the tamper.

I've experimented with this on my L1-P @ 3 bar PI, but really couldn't get on with it - getting far better consistency with a more normal tamp of circa 5-6kg.

Sort of "grind fine, tamp moderately"?

Have you noticed this?

L1-P | E10 | VST | Feldgrind | Kalita

@holdtheonions

On a related note: have you noticed any need to change your prep routine and/or grind?

The oft quoted mantra from L1 owners is "grind fine, tamp light" with some seeming to use little more than the weight of the tamper.

I've experimented with this on my L1-P @ 3 bar PI, but really couldn't get on with it - getting far better consistency with a more normal tamp of circa 5-6kg.

Sort of "grind fine, tamp moderately"?

Have you noticed this?

I haven't played with my tamp yet, just using "normal" pressure, but I am grinding finer. I have been dosing 19.3-19.7g on the VST with ample overhead. Was planning to switch back to the stock basket this afternoon and use that for a while. I will give it a try and see how it goes.