Sign in to follow this  
BenJM

Are you happy with your coffee?

Hi All

I am interested in whether most people on this forum are happy with the coffee they are producing at home and if it is better (to you!) than you can get in a coffee shop?

I was pondering this whilst drinking my heavy, dirty black coffee. Straight up after night shift = Every sip a treat!

Very happy (with espresso), but it's taken me years to get to that point and a lot of money on kit (although not close to what some people invest). Not to say it can't be done cheaper, but getting a decent grinder really changed things for me. For brewed coffee I am definitely nowhere near.

As for being better than coffee shops. I'd say what I produce is better than 99% of what you would buy on the high street, however I have been to some decent independents that will produce some damn fine coffee.

The other factor is personal taste. What I produce fits my personal taste, others may prefer coffee sweeter, more acidic, more bitterness etc.

Modded Fracino Heavenly | Eureka Zenith 65e | 15g/18g VST's | Made By Knock 58.35mm Tamper | Torr 58.4mm Tamper | AeroPress | V60 | NotNeutral Mugs | A cupboard full of stuff

The other factor is personal taste. What I produce fits my personal taste, others may prefer coffee sweeter, more acidic, more bitterness etc.

Excellent point regards personal taste.

My preference is for extra dark, heavy black brewed coffee. Not for everyone!

On the plus side, equipment is cheap = French press. By far the biggest step up for me has been fresh roasted beans from Coffee Compass

The other point is what benchmark you are setting against given your experience. If I had only ever drank coffee at costa I would have been happy with what I was producing a long time ago. If I had only drank coffee at one of the few terrible independents I've been too I would be happy with a cup of Kenco!

Modded Fracino Heavenly | Eureka Zenith 65e | 15g/18g VST's | Made By Knock 58.35mm Tamper | Torr 58.4mm Tamper | AeroPress | V60 | NotNeutral Mugs | A cupboard full of stuff

I was having breakfast out the other morning and they had a costa bean to cup.

Made a triple espresso with a splash of hot water. I would've been better off not bothering!

I was having breakfast out the other morning and they had a costa bean to cup.

Made a triple espresso with a splash of hot water. I would've been better off not bothering!

I'm sort of happy with mine at the moment, definitely better than Costa which was my original aim.

BTW anyone else find that the Costa BTC machines are a lot better than most of their baristas.

Sage DTP - Compak K10 & Niche Zero

I'm sort of happy with mine at the moment, definitely better than Costa which was my original aim

I reckon a lot of people start with the aim to get chain standard at home. It was Costa/Starbucks Americano's that made me start pursuing better coffee for home (over instant)

Do you drink long or espresso?

I tend to drink a latte or two a day, just started to try drinking the espresso straight now and although it is drinkable it isn't great, that is an improvement over how I have previously found espresso though.

Only just got my grinder home last Friday (Compak K3 Elite) and only really got it dialled in last night.

Drinking Bella Barista's Gaslight blend at the moment and have the Coffee Compass Black Friday deal to go through plus 1kg of Foundry Rocky Mountain Reserve.

Have been drinking pre-ground Lavazza and Illy before so not really sure what my tastes run to (they were undrinkable as espresso).

Sage DTP - Compak K10 & Niche Zero

You are in for a treat then as fresh beans make a massive difference over supermarket beans, let alone pre-ground!

I'm happy with what I produce at home. I've only got a fairly simple setup, Gaggia Classic and Iberital MC2. That makes Americano that to me is much better than I can get in all but the very best Independents using beans from Rave. The next step is coffee at work. We have a Costa outlet at work but I'm not impressed so I have an Aeropress on my Christmas list.

Gear:   Gaggia Classic, La Pavoni Euopiccola, Niche zero grinder.

/\/\/\/\ This. I could afford a better setup than a Classic but I dont have the space. I can get beans from a Roaster & a coffee shop when I'm out on my round & both are good. Taste has improved since I bought a Naked portafilter about a month ago.

grimleyplex = 2002-2019 R.I.P. :(

very happy with my own coffee (mostly thanks to all the help on here), I now actively avoid buying from the high street names unless I have no other choice, and then it's a cappa as that's harder to screw up - I took a coffee from home with me on the train today in a thermal cup rather than buying at the station.

I find myself wincing far too much when I go into an indy "coffee shop" as more often than not they have no clue, have had no training, and it's quickly clear by watching their workflow that they're producing crap - I've walked out without ordering and gone to Costa more often than not as at least they are more consistent and the barista has had training.

What I am enjoying a lot right now are the specialty places who do know what the hell they're doing, sadly I only get chance to visit these places when I'm in London, but they're great and I actively go out of my way to visit when I can.

Yuxo09y.jpg

Right now, yes. Fairly happy. Tomorrow morning, I'll be looking to improve it. Same cycle every day.

'it's all about the microbubbubbles'

very happy with my own coffee (mostly thanks to all the help on here), I now actively avoid buying from the high street names unless I have no other choice, and then it's a cappa as that's harder to screw up - I took a coffee from home with me on the train today in a thermal cup rather than buying at the station.

I find myself wincing far too much when I go into an indy "coffee shop" as more often than not they have no clue, have had no training, and it's quickly clear by watching their workflow that they're producing crap - I've walked out without ordering and gone to Costa more often than not as at least they are more consistent and the barista has had training.

What I am enjoying a lot right now are the specialty places who do know what the hell they're doing, sadly I only get chance to visit these places when I'm in London, but they're great and I actively go out of my way to visit when I can.

Your going to the wrong shops

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Your going to the wrong shops

more like I live in the wrong place, there's a real lack of coffee shops in the countryside, so I depend on my London visits

Yuxo09y.jpg

more like I live in the wrong place, there's a real lack of coffee shops in the countryside, so I depend on my London visits

So true. I live around Bicester and Buckingham and I've only found two decent coffee shops. The indi's are pretty rubbish, if I'm in town I generally resort to costa as it's the best available. There is one decent one in Buckingham and a really good one in Stratton Audley that I go regularly when time permits. They serve coffee from Pumphreys and all their staff have been to Blaydon for training. It does really show in the quality they serve.

yeah i can completely relate to that, the nearest town to us is Worksop, it's never going to be the coffee capital of the world, in fact I think it only has 1 costa in the town center and nothing else - which speaks volumes.

Sheffield is 30 mins by train, so I'm not popping in there for a coffee!

Yuxo09y.jpg