IGNORED

Outdoor home cctv unit

Can anyone recommend a half decent one camera set up. My son wants to protect the rear of his property which runs down a back lane. A lot of reviews you see say the software is dodgy and if your internet connection falters then it causes problems. Do not mind if it records to the cloud unless that is expensive or to a hard drive, but wireless is preferred.

Who needs a steering wheel......?

Arlo are worth a look.....

Wireless

Stores to cloud

Can download to your storage

Cameras are battery - so can go (almost) literally anywhere

Can get more cameras if wanted (upto 4-5 off of one control unit I think)

Can access cameras via phone app, ipad etc etc (as well as via "real" browser)

Can set up multiple users to access (and give separate access to cameras I think)

Can get alerts to phone etc (when camera detects something)

We actually use it for wildlife spotting (rather than directly security).

We use mainly at night but we do often see the mailman etc delivering when it is pointing in that direction.

@Drewster

Can I ask if yours is indoor or outdoor. Part of the security side, is for would be villains to see the camera protecting the house

The actual camera is outdoor (or indeed anywhere within wireless range of the base unit)

The base unit is indoor, just (another) wifi box that sits next to the router (connected by wire into the router)

The camera is a about 4inch by 2ish by 1ish.... It has a built in magnet so can "stick" to iron drainpipes etc

and you do get a little screw on mount thing (magnetic) - which I assume you could buy lots of (to move your camera to different angles etc)

We tend to just place the camera in odd places with a field of view that we hope might catch interesting stuff...

The camera is bright white - which seems pretty daft - but as it's pretty small it is fairy inconspicuous... nobody has even noticed it sitting on a wall or on the steps leading upto our front door.

and you can get "condoms" to wrap them in to make them even more inconspicuous....

Just noticed that you are actually looking for it to be SEEN rather than not....

You can buy very realistic "dummy" cameras, that have "active" lights, motion detectors even "tracking/movement etc - but not the actual camera bit!!!!

(Not Arlo type - but BIGish I look like a security camera type)

These can get fitted in obvious places as a deterrent - while using less obvious ones to actually "see"..... ie when the baddies take out the obvious camera they are still getting recorded by the others....

I had a pot stolen off the drive, so decided nuking the issue from orbit was the only way to prevent such a travesty in future.

I used a wireless one for a few days before sending it back on account of patchy recording - turns out 18" of brick and concrete isn't particularly useful for a solid wireless signal capable of reliably recording video of a bitrate that would be useful for anything.

I switched over to a couple of hikvision 4mp POE cameras (recording to a local server) and have had no such issues. They're obvious and look like real cameras (the arlo ones look a bit like toys, and will bankrupt you with batteries) so are an effective deterrent as well.

The setup is relatively in-depth, so it's definitely one for reading the manual (just using the on-camera setup pointing at a network drive, not the NVR server), but they have been very solid for the few months I've had them, and record when I want them to and generally not when I don't. I've given each of them 100GB of storage which is enough for over a month of movement-triggered footage.

Edited by Mister_Tad

When considering CCTV you need to ask yourself the question what do you want to achieve ? More often the perception and reality are two different things , where the reality can only be achieved with a decent budget.

Covert Surveillance .? PM for details

• Like 1

I have some bushes in my front garden that I practice my topiary skills on.

It was obviously too much of a temptation for one youth who decided to kick one of them and damage it.

This made me look into the whole CCTV situation.

I actually decided against it. My thought process was even if i had 1080p images of the perpetrator in action what would the police do?

The age of the felon would mean no more than a few words at the station even if it went that far. Unless they were known to the police how would they find him ?

One thing i did find out though was that I would need a yearly license if the cameras filmed anything other than my own property otherwise if it went to court it would be inadmissible.

The bush grew back, no further incidents.

If i had a car on the drive I would have probably gone for it.

This is to protect a terraced house with a back lane in an area of fairly high break ins. The house is fairly well protected but the idea of a camera is firstly as a deterrent and secondly as an aid if something goes wrong. Still looking at options

• 4 years later...

Pan Tilt Outdoor Security Camera. Several of my friends used this on their farm and they had no problems with the loose connection with the router.
I understand that this is no longer relevant, but suddenly it will be useful to someone.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

We have Arlo, its been fantastic, had it a few years now. Its motion activated, and been very reliable, it is broadband/wireless reliant and has to be with in range of the Hub.

Batteries last months, but we had to adjust sensitivity so it doesn't pick up every car etc otherwise the batteries would not last. 

Get a handy little app for your phone. Can even talk through app if you enable mic, and set alarm off in your home. 
also get some nice footage of birds when they fly up to it to have a look! 

We have two running 24/7, definitely makes you feel more secure. :)

oh and its free 7 day storage. 

58077DEA-6A93-47CC-A1CE-DD38B986A3D9.jpeg

Edited by Burnzy

Gone from Arlo to Eufy way better. Still have a Arlo here in a box.