Sign in to follow this  
pbrook67

Coffee art

How easy is it to do coffee art, like what the pros do :) I have a sage barista express.. would I be able to do it with this kit or would I need some super equipment?

You don't need super equipment, just hours of practice. That said I don't know what the steam wand is like on the Barista express.... Someone else doubtless will.

Welcome also!

Did someone say coffee?

:Gaggia Classic--> Nuova Simonelli Oscar--> fracino Cherub:Mazzer SuperJolly:Hario V60+aeropress+french press:

The Sage is said to be very good at foaming milk, so you should be alright with the kit you have. You'll need a decent jug, of the right size so that the amount of milk you wish to steam comes to just under the start of the spout (say a 350ml jug for a single 160-200ml drink). It's worth getting some TempTags to help you get the temperature correct. (available from @Glenn)

But "how hard is it" and "do I need super equipment" are not the same question. You have the kit, but you will need to watch a lot of videos, maybe do a latte art course, or just have a go. You will need to be patient and make A LOT of drinks. Baristi in shops take a few months to get the hang of it, making many many drinks back-to-back. If like me, you are only making 2-3 a day it will take ages!

To save coffee and milk, you can apparently do something involving a drop of washing up liquid to practice foaming, and some coloured liquid to simulate the coffee. It won't happen overnight though.

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

I thought I might be the limiting factor :) Time to start practising. I like the idea of a substitute medium for practising on, the prospect of drinking coffee back to back is not appealing :D

Check out YouTube it helped me a lot.

Sage Dual Boiler. Baratza 270. Sage Smart Grinder Pro. 18g Vst ridgeless. Motta Competition Tamper 58.4mm. Aeropress.

or buy some beans you have no intention of drinking (supermarket or otherwise) with a splash or more of robusta in to give crema (not a sign of good coffee by the by, but useful in this instance) and 16 to 20 pints of full fat milk.

Watch some you tube clips as above to get the idea of just lifting the steam nozzle out of the milk then submerging. Don't get caught up with vortices or horizontal swirls, vertical works just as well and easier to grasp for beginner, so steam wand down following the angle of spout (if you don't have a decent jug yet, now is the time to research more)

Put aside an afternoon to do this and don't be tempted to drink any as this is not what you are doing this for. Make a basic pattern, tulip or heart maybe, stick at it for a while after your afternoon then when mastered that one, move onto another.

Training will help but you will need to put this into practice so if no time to follow up the training by practicing at home, could be wasted pennies.

Hope of help and practice, practice, practice.

John

Roasters: BB Dalian Amazon 1kg -Power contolled GeneCafe 101- 113Kg of greens - Tonino

Espresso: Londinium L2 - Gaggia G105 - Silvia v3 Mr.Shades PID'-d - Faema E92a2 (Project) - MyPressi Twist - VST baskets / Motta Europa (350/500/750ml) - Torr Ti 58.55 & Goldfinger flat 58.4 TiBlack, Pullman 51.4 - Acaia x2

Grinders: Flats: Compak R120 - NS Mythos plus Conics: Compak K10PB - Lido 3

Brewed: Behmor Brazen - Moccamaster KBGT471 - Aeropress - V60 - Cona model D - Clever - Mizudashi - 8-10 + 6 cup Chemex

Water: BWT Bestmax V Refrac: VST III

and a Puq Press not in a pear tree..

The first step is to get the milk a perfect consistency - microfoam milk without too much air is the key, if you get the top too frothy then you'll spoil the crema straight away. Then you need to get the pour right. The best way to start is by having some training and then it's practice, practice, practice!