JackBlackmore

Ceado e37s grind time for double shot

Just curious what grind times people are using for a double shot? Ive read quite a few comments with people saying they're in the 4.5s range for 18g but mines taking around 6.7 and is fairly inconsistent on dosing (still trying to sort out the right SCC tension)

I'm using Clifton Coffee El Salvador Peaberry Espresso which I think may be part of the issue.

On the SCC note can anyone point me in the right direction of where I can pick up the upgraded metal version as mine has the old rubber type.

Dosing clumping timing static aside it's already a massive leap in the cup ahead of my last grinder so things are already in the up!

La Marzocco Linea Mini, Compak R120

5ish for me, but I have a customised anti static thing

This infamous A.R.S.E mod perchance?

Depends on bean obviously but between 4.5-5.5" generally. Some beans that need a very fine grind may take a little longer.

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

This infamous A.R.S.E mod perchance?

No it's my bird feeder mod, will post a video when I get a chance

No it's my bird feeder mod, will post a video when I get a chance

Ahhh I've just searched for it and it replaces the SCC with a mesh. Could be worth a try before I order the SCC upgrade

Ahhh I've just searched for it and it replaces the SCC with a mesh. Could be worth a try before I order the SCC upgrade

Yes, bird feeder from wilkos. Also removed the flap that the scc pushes down on

These all seem quite considerably lower. Any idea what it could be?

Your scc flap is closed further? You're grinding finer? Burrs are newer?

Your scc flap is closed further? You're grinding finer? Burrs are newer?

Burrs are generally quicker when new are they not?

It's had 4000 shots through it so they should have loads of life left. I might try just taking the SCC and flap out this weekend and see if that's causing the buildup and take it from there!

Does anyone know where to pick the upgraded SCC from? I've spoke to backupcoffee and it's looking like £50 delivered just wondering if there's an alternative

The chute can get blocked if you use oily beans. Give it all a good clean out and see if that does anything.

I find the whole SCC thing a bit of a pita to be honest. I've just pushed the metal flap thing up out of the way. I have also polished the chute. Even so, sometimes the grinds don't always want to slide all the way down into the PF. It's as if the angle isn't steep enough. But at least with nothing in the grind path, the grinds come out clump free and super fluffy. I just have to 'help' the last half a gram with a wooden stirrer stick if it's too scared to jump out.

I'm wondering if you're finding you need to grind for longer to get your 18g because grinds are backing up behind the flap?

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

I find the whole SCC thing a bit of a pita to be honest. I've just pushed the metal flap thing up out of the way. I have also polished the chute. Even so, sometimes the grinds don't always want to slide all the way down into the PF. It's as if the angle isn't steep enough. But at least with nothing in the grind path, the grinds come out clump free and super fluffy. I just have to 'help' the last half a gram with a wooden stirrer stick if it's too scared to jump out.

I'm wondering if you're finding you need to grind for longer to get your 18g because grinds are backing up behind the flap?

I think it has to be something to do with the flap, I'll take the lot out this weekend and just start taming it back from there.

Huh... I'm low-mid 3s for 18g.

SCC mostly wide open, closed just enough to stop a mild spray at full-open, roasts on the lighter end of the spectrum.

Edited by Mister_Tad

Londinium R | Ceado E37S | Torr Goldfinger

So the plot thickens, I've completely removed the SCC and exit flap and fashioned a little cover for the chute just to see how it grinds without them in. The grinds are super fluffy but as expected there's an absolute mountain of static. Also strangely it's still taking in the region of 6.7 seconds for 18g so it must just be these beans as there's really nothing else that would cause them to back up. I'll try a different batch of beans next to see how it gets on and as it looks like it's not the SCC causing things to back up I'll get one of the upgrades ordered

Well if there are no grinds backing up in the chute behind the flap then I can only assume it's the beans that maybe require a fine grind which will push the time up. I presume you've had the top burr off and cleaned out the burrs and chamber? Only a 5 minute job which I do every time I change beans (typically once a month).

Curious to know what you used to cover the chute, and how much it helped. I've not got any cover on mine and use it with the SCC fully open (or even with the flap tucked up out of the way). I get a very small amount of 'spray' that misses my catcha. I think Dave recommended a bit of acetate OHP film - curious as to your solution.

I've fashioned a real poor cover out of tin foil for now just to try it out but the static is too much so going to have to try something. Thinking of knocking up an arse mod later and trying that out before I buy the metal SCC. Yeah had it all apart earlier to take the current SCC out

Have you tried some well behaved beans Jake? Rave Signature just works fine in mine as does Foundry Rocko Mountain and almost anything from Union. The minute I put some oily Coffee Compass beans in it if played up as you have described.

I'll definitely try something from Rave or Foundry next and see how that goes.