grumpydaddy

Who makes the best burrs?

Starting with the premise that a large number of burrs from various manufacturers are interchangeable, who makes the best burrs?

Among the unfortunate exceptions to the rule are Mahlkönig k30 (two holes) as that machine has had great reviews and modal measurements.

I guess I am thinking of 64mm to start with..... Thoughts anyone?

How interchangeable are they really? Bolt circle diameter, burr patterns, thickness etc - I am pulling this out of my hat because I have absolutely no idea but it seems to me that your premise *could* be false to start with.

We need someone called Dave to clear this up LOL!

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

When I was looking for alternate burrs for my Ceado E7 I looked at a lot of 64mm burrs. Superficially the 64mm all look the same, but actually nothing matches between models. 64mm appears to be round up/down from 63.5 to 64.5, and having 3 holes then needs to have their circumferential location matched up too. I gave up trying to find equivalents!

You also have to take the pattern into consideration. For example, the burrs for a Fiorenzato F64E are very different to the F64 Evo

Burrs are one consideration in a grinder , so there is geometry of the burrs, size , and how they are put together ( alignment ) . These along with other things ( speed, treatments, what pre breaker it has etc ) dictate how good a grinder is , and therefore your opinion on said burr quality.

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

So, to put a little more meat on this concept I had better put some background to the original thought.

When I needed Santos burrs I only found Expensive options and further I was somewhat concerned that the originals did not have any pre breaking either. Of course I have found those originals really cheap since.

Finding what alternates were around that turn in the same direction was my first step

Finding details of inner and outer diameter came next in the narrowing of choices.

To be honest I only went with visual comparison for hole location. Perhaps I lucked in on that score but anyway the end result/choice seems to work well.

Then one often sees OEM burrs available for less, particularly of the more common grinders like Super Jollys. In what way do those differ?

It was this that made me wonder if, provided one takes into account most of the above and if motor power/speed is also considered, It might be reasonable in concept at least to change the burrs in any given grinder and in the process create a more able machine.

What happens say when you put Mythos burrs in another type of 75mm grinder à la Eureka Olympus

Go back to the K30 for a moment. A lot of posts from a few years back suggest that it performs rather well given the size of burrs. Would one expect another grinder to perform as well when fitted with K30 burrs?

I totally get each of the comments so far as they seem to be leaning in the same direction so maybe this clearer question (written later in the day) might also generate an answer or two for discussion.

I find the Mythos burrs in my 75E helps to make it the great performer it is. This was pointed out by the reviewer on the BB website at the time, when comparing the standard burrs.

Expobar Leva DB PID, Eureka Olympus 75E, Mazzer Super Jolly, Rhino Hand Grinder, Torr Trapez, On Balance Scales, VonShef Stainless Steel Double Wall French Press, VST 18, 20, IMS Shower Screen, V60, D'Ancap Cups/Saucers :coffee:

I find the Mythos burrs in my 75E helps to make it the great performer it is. This was pointed out by the reviewer on the BB website at the time, when comparing the standard burrs.

OMIGOD, now there will be trouble:D

However, it is a nice grinder....lovely and smooth (amooth as silk grind adjuster) to adjust grind and easy to clean.

Edited by DavecUK

Crem One 2B DBPP (pre production version), ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DBPP (paddle flow control), Lelit Mara X Prototype, BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK, Eureka Atom Speciality 75, Eureka "Blow UP System", VDT Vibration thing: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

You also have to take the pattern into consideration. For example, the burrs for a Fiorenzato F64E are very different to the F64 Evo

Hi @dfk41. I know its been a while on this topic but you mentioned what i was looking for. Have you had a chance to try 64Evo burrs on 64e or did you have both grinders at some point and had a preference on burrs. Their diameters are same but as you said their pattern is different so they grind differently. Was wondering which burr set would be better chioce to get for F64e

Gaggia Classic 2010 PID(IMS 200µm shower screen&Brass Dispersion Plate&OPV&Steam Wand Modded) | Kinu M47 V3 Niche Zero | Bottomless Portafilter&VST Ridgeless 15gr and 18gr | Decent Tamper V2 | MouMou 58mm Distribution Tool | 2X 64oz Airscapes & CoffeeVac

I am not sure! But, I spoke with the importers who basically explained it was to do with the power output of the machines if I remember correctly and the more the power, the slightly less aggressive the cut. I did replace the burrs on an F64E which is the base model but they told me to put the recommended ones in!

I am not sure! But, I spoke with the importers who basically explained it was to do with the power output of the machines if I remember correctly and the more the power, the slightly less aggressive the cut. I did replace the burrs on an F64E which is the base model but they told me to put the recommended ones in!

Hence the availability of two different burr sets for some of the bigger Mazzer grinders in respect of whether they use a single or a three phase power supply. Three phase ones are more aggressive and can't be used in domestic grinders.

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3 + Mahlkonig EK43 Turkish burrs + Niche

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

Thanks for the replies.

F64e and F64EVO are both 350W and have same RPM thats what confuses me. On youtube vidoes F64EVO seems grind fluffier and faster. Of.course it might be about grind size and bean type..

On Fiorenzato official page even red speed burrs are mentioned optional for these two but cant see any price or where to source them from.

Gaggia Classic 2010 PID(IMS 200µm shower screen&Brass Dispersion Plate&OPV&Steam Wand Modded) | Kinu M47 V3 Niche Zero | Bottomless Portafilter&VST Ridgeless 15gr and 18gr | Decent Tamper V2 | MouMou 58mm Distribution Tool | 2X 64oz Airscapes & CoffeeVac

Thanks for the replies.

F64e and F64EVO are both 350W and have same RPM thats what confuses me. On youtube vidoes F64EVO seems grind fluffier and faster. Of.course it might be about grind size and bean type..

On Fiorenzato official page even red speed burrs are mentioned optional for these two but cant see any price or where to source them from.

Try contacting this bunch

https://www.theespressoshop.co.uk/en/Fiorenzato-MC-F64-Evo-Grinder-Burrs-RH-64x37x85mm-OEM/m-3033.aspx

I have spoken with them before and they seem to know what they are on about

So i asked them and here is the reply

The grinder burrs are cut slightly differently so they cut a bit faster and produce a bit more heat. The F64Evo which has a cooling fan attached is designed for busy outlets hence the difference.

So in home environment doesnt matter which burr set (heat wise) but taste wise i think only solution is to order EVO burrs and compare it myself :) please dont make that 'it might be slightly less metallic taste' joke lol