gcs

Mazzer Mini E vs Eureka 65E

Hi,

I'm considering picking up one of them, Mazzer Mini E or Eureka 65E.

I'm looking at GBP$500 range and I'm not living in UK and grappling a second hand one is nearly impossible.

I wonder how its compare for these 2 grinders.

;) Thank you

as a rule of thumb, the bigger the burrs, the better the flavour profile. The Eureka Atom might be worth a closer look as well

You only had to look...

https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/pdf/EurekaZenith65EvsMazzerMiniE.pdf

There is a direct comparison by me.

Crem One 2B DBPP (pre production version), ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DBPP (paddle flow control), Lelit Mara X Prototype, BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK, Eureka Atom Speciality 75, Eureka "Blow UP System", VDT Vibration thing: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Well they were askeing me to evaluate it for them based on whether they wanted to add it to their range or not.....so I was hardly likely to recommend it if it wasn't any good. besides I only do truthful and independent reviews....not sales reviews.

Crem One 2B DBPP (pre production version), ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DBPP (paddle flow control), Lelit Mara X Prototype, BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK, Eureka Atom Speciality 75, Eureka "Blow UP System", VDT Vibration thing: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

You only had to look...

https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/pdf/EurekaZenith65EvsMazzerMiniE.pdf

There is a direct comparison by me.

That's a good review and usefull comparison - I often find the rating plates and quoted figures are all over the place between manufacturers, commonly the rating place is there to indicate required fuse size - however the actual operational wattage varies because of as I understand it (and I'm not an expert, just curious so would welcome input on this)

1 Start up wattage required to get the motor turning is higher than operational wattage once spinning particularly motors with a capacitor.

2 induction motors where wattage increases with load.

I know from pat testing various motors the run wattage is often half of the wattage on the plate because of this, My beef is with retailers quoting the (start up) wattage of 500w when actually for the user the usable watts are just 250 w.

keep calm and grind flat

It's tricky, induction motors continuous no load wattage is the slippage wattage...under load they draw more and more wats as load increases. The start/run capacitors are of different configurations, you best read this:

http://www.electrical4u.com/types-of-single-phase-induction-motor/

Also I went into power consumption and slip vs speed a bit more in this thread.

http://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthread.php?34047-Waiting-for-Stock-of-Eureka-75e

Normally though this sort of stuff isn't welcome in a grinder review.

With the Mini E, I've upgraded the burrs to the Jolly's. I had no issues, and it nearly halves the grind time and the grind is way better (much more fluffy) It will probably wear the motor more, but for a 2nd hand one I'm not to worried. Something to consider over the 65e.

I've haven't the 65e, but the 75e. It is a better grinder with the 75mm burrs, but something in me prefers the Mazzer. I think it's the precision feeling with the Mazzer, the 75e feels industrial, (probably like the 65e) Also, I much prefer the centre button top up grind on the mazzer, as the 75e you have to hold down both buttons and then do your top up grind.

However cleaning the 75e is much much easier than the mazzer.

Mazzer Mini E is 64mm

Eureka 65e is well, 65mm

But Atom is 60mm

I'm also thinking of the Atom, sure it's 60, but it's dam quick and very very quiet. It also has a very small foot print.

That's a good review and usefull comparison - I often find the rating plates and quoted figures are all over the place between manufacturers, commonly the rating place is there to indicate required fuse size - however the actual operational wattage varies because of as I understand it (and I'm not an expert, just curious so would welcome input on this)

1 Start up wattage required to get the motor turning is higher than operational wattage once spinning particularly motors with a capacitor.

2 induction motors where wattage increases with load.

I know from pat testing various motors the run wattage is often half of the wattage on the plate because of this, My beef is with retailers quoting the (start up) wattage of 500w when actually for the user the usable watts are just 250 w.

The bit about motor power in the Bellabarista article is confused and confusing. To measure the electrical watts or especially VA under no load and then draw comparisons and conclusions based on what is on the plate is just nonsense. And VA is not watts.

Normally, the watts on the plate are the rated mechanical power. In the case of Eureka, the plate watts are quoted for a restricted duty cycle to enable the manufacturer to quote a bigger number, presumably for a marketing advantage. There is a lot of bollox flying around about bigger being better.

A grinder like the 65e, under no load will take around 140-160 W of electrical input. The efficiency and power factor will be very low as the motor will be delivering very little load

Under normal load the 65e can be expected to take 200-220W of electrical input. The efficiency of the motor will still be very low, may be 50% or less, so the mechanical power delivered will be around 100W.

Nikko, have you used both grinders side by side?

If so, you can advise the OP about which of the two grinders to get, if you don't like either then give him a another recommendation for a different grinder you have used that meets his budgetary requirements....because that's his question. Admittedly I have only used/tested around 20 or 30 different makes/models of grinders, so I don't have knowledge of every option out there. I do think the Zenith 65E is a better buy than the Mini E though in terms of value for money, grind quality and ease of use.

A grinder like the 65e, under no load will take around 140-160 W of electrical input. The efficiency and power factor will be very low as the motor will be delivering very little load

Perhaps they have modded the grinder since I measured it, because under no load I got 225W, however you are seeing 140 to 160W when you measure your 65E?

If he is still concerned about my review....it's fine, he can ignore it and wait for your advice.;)

I'm also thinking of the Atom, sure it's 60, but it's dam quick and very very quiet. It also has a very small foot print.

In the old wisdom that I trust...

Nikko, have you used both grinders side by side?

If so, you can advise the OP about which of the two grinders to get, if you don't like either then give him a another recommendation for a different grinder you have used that meets his budgetary requirements....because that's his question. Admittedly I have only used/tested around 20 or 30 different makes/models of grinders, so I don't have knowledge of every option out there. I do think the Zenith 65E is a better buy than the Mini E though in terms of value for money, grind quality and ease of use.

Perhaps they have modded the grinder since I measured it, because under no load I got 225W, however you are seeing 140 to 160W when you measure your 65E?

If he is still concerned about my review....it's fine, he can ignore it and wait for your advice.;)

My objective was to set straight the confusion about motor power.

I agree with you that there is little to chose between the two grinders; the 65e being easier to adjust and to clean than the Mini. I have not done enough side by side comparisons to express an opinion about the grind quality. They are pretty identical mechanically and at the level of my coffee making technique I do not distinguish a grind quality difference. I'd be interested to learn why you consider the grind quality of the 65e superior.

The motor power paragraphs in the BB comparison document clearly lead the reader towards the Eureka using inappropriate science. In the interest of objectivity may I suggest that they be edited.

My objective was to set straight the confusion about motor power.

I agree with you that there is little to chose between the two grinders; the 65e being easier to adjust and to clean than the Mini. I have not done enough side by side comparisons to express an opinion about the grind quality. They are pretty identical mechanically and at the level of my coffee making technique I do not distinguish a grind quality difference. I'd be interested to learn why you consider the grind quality of the 65e superior.

The motor power paragraphs in the BB comparison document clearly lead the reader towards the Eureka using inappropriate science. In the interest of objectivity may I suggest that they be edited.

I didn't say there is little to choose between the 2 grinders, I said the 65E is better in all respects....value for money, ease of use and grind quality.

P.S. I can't be arsed to go back and change reviews, I don't get paid for it and it's accurate enough for most people except you.

Why do you say the grind quality of the 65e is better? What is it about the 65e that makes it better - bearings, play, alignment, burrs???

And how do you define grind quality?

The burrs are easier to align in the eureka as the burr carrier has less slop, the eureka is less clumpy than the Mazzer mini e, is quicker at grinding. As far as Taste I found them similar in the cup but overall I agree with Dave the eureka is a better grinder hands down.

AKA Toffee chips

The burrs are easier to align in the eureka as the burr carrier has less slop, the eureka is less clumpy than the Mazzer mini e, is quicker at grinding. As far as Taste I found them similar in the cup but overall I agree with Dave the eureka is a better grinder hands down.

Can I get a better option in the price range? Look for a second hand one is not possible in HK.

Change the Mini's burrs to the jolly's & I bet the mini will be a better grinder :)

Change the Mini's burrs to the jolly's & I bet the mini will be a better grinder :)

I think you may have scared people away from making a recommendation.....LOL

Personally, I would probably save the extr.a and buy a Eureka 75E.....

I didn't say there is little to choose between the 2 grinders, I said the 65E is better in all respects....value for money, ease of use and grind quality.

P.S. I can't be arsed to go back and change reviews, I don't get paid for it and it's accurate enough for most people except you.

The review may be perfect for you and BB but is not good enough for me and it is certainly not good enough for everybody else (whether they know it or not) because it contains serious errors and is, therefore, not objective. Whether correcting the errors would alter the conclusion is not relevant. I do not know what your relationship to BB is but a refusal to correct a known mistake pretty much devalues everything else you have written. BB should take note!

Edited by Nikko
typo

I think you may have scared people away from making a recommendation.....LOL

Personally, I would probably save the extr.a and buy a Eureka 75E.....

Well I got a 6 month old mini for about £370 & then new burrs £35. £405 and the mini grinds 18g in 9secs. The Eureka 75E was £795 (New) The 75e is better (5 secs 18g, slightly fluffier), but the mini with the jolly burrs is a very very close 2nd and half the price. Just sayin.... :)

It is not a very very close second, the mini e even with sj burrs (sj is a mediocre grinder) is nowhere near the grinder the 75e is. The mini e is not designed to use the sj burrs, but if you are happy doing that to yours then that is your choice. Next you will be saying that the mini e with sj burrs runs an ek close !

AKA Toffee chips

I'm new here. In the short time I've been reading posts that interest me I'm wondering if certain characters are engaged in ongoing niggles with each other. Or, if that's not the case, at least a certain, distinctive, manner of putting their views across which don't necessarily find favour with certain other members.

99.9% of the replies to my own enquiries or observations have been replied to politely with warmth and helpfulness but I'm starting to see that the, one or two, slightly brusque responses, might tie in with the pattern of discourse I see above.

To be honest, some of the above look pretty darn unpleasasnt. Is this normal here?

A recently acquired ECM Mechanika Profi Rotary Pump + an equally recent Eureka Olympus 75 which, apparently, has Titanium burrs...which I gather is a good thing :-)

It is not a very very close second, the mini e even with sj burrs (sj is a mediocre grinder) is nowhere near the grinder the 75e is. The mini e is not designed to use the sj burrs, but if you are happy doing that to yours then that is your choice. Next you will be saying that the mini e with sj burrs runs an ek close !

the 75e is better (as I said), but having both side by side with the mini with the sj burrs, (in my humble humble opinion) is very close. (I took 1 'very' out so we all feel better) My main point being, (though I cannot prove it) is the mini with sj burrs will be better than the standard 65e. (yes it's not 'designed' for it but when did that stop people in this forum trying to make things better to get better coffee)