Sign in to follow this  
c1000

Newbie - Gaggia Classic / La Pavoni Europiccola for Flat Whites?

Hi all,

I've been reading a lot on this forum over the last few weeks and was initially set on getting a Gaggia Classic with an upgraded wand, but my friend has suggested that a La Pavoni Europiccola may be a better starting point.

Until now I've been using a V60 and Rhinowares hand grinder at home, but have been seeking out good coffee shops - mainly in London - for years so have a good idea of what's possible with espresso / flat whites.

Which machine would you recommend?

The Europiccola seems to only produce a single shot at a time - is this an issue for flat whites?

I am planning to stick with the Rhinowares hand grinder for now until I can afford a decent powered grinder - do you think this will be ok?

I understand the La Pavoni has a steeper learning curve and this doesn't put me off. I'm happy to put time into learning things, but would ideally like to buy a machine in good condition - I don't want to spend time on repair / diagnosis.

What sort of price should I expect to pay for a good second hand Europiccola? I know the Classics are sometimes £75 upwards or £150 for fully reconditioned.

Any input appreciated!

Cheers!

I'm biased, but if you're only making small numbers and not averse to experimenting and playing with variables I'd go La Pav. It is very satisfying when you get a grind dialled in and pull that lever to unleash a sweet shot. I don't understand the people who say they can never master it or can't steam the milk on it. I think they have poor grinders or are very impatient. They are not usually on here to be fair but on places like Amazon reviews etc.

(I had a kitchenaid artisan before which is essentially a Gaggia rebranded and in a miniskirt)

"Is that all it does?"

La Pavoni Euro pro

Mazzer Major

Hi I currently have both. I would say the la pav may require a better grinder and they can only make about 2 shots before overheating but also very satisfying when you get it right. Both are quite different machines. I use the classic for daily use in the morning and the la pav when I have more time. Probably pay at the least 120 for a la pav but likely nearer 150-200.

What's the point...it'll only change soon!

The Europiccola seems to only produce a single shot at a time - is this an issue for flat whites?

I am planning to stick with the Rhinowares hand grinder for now until I can afford a decent powered grinder - do you think this will be ok?

Im not so sure that grinder is up to the task ahead of producing a fine enough grind for espresso.

I cant guide you on what machine either. I think that will come down to personal preference.

I have a classic and doubt id make more that 2 espressos in a row before steaming the milk for them to be made into lattes \ flat whites. Reckon a La Pav is up to that task as well.

IIRC the la pavs basket holds 14g of grinds. but happy to be corrected if thats wrong.

Yeh that's one of the drawbacks of the la pav that the baskets only hold 14g.

What's the point...it'll only change soon!

My use is basically the same as GCGlasgow. The Classic is for day to day morning coffees as it is quick and simple. My wife and I like milk drinks and I put 17g in the basket and split it in to 2 glasses. The LaPav is for weekends and when I have more time or want something stronger. The portafilter spouts never pour equally and 14g just isn't enough to split so I make 2 shots back to back before steaming.

I think the La Pav has a little more faff, but this may be just to my lack of practice and routine. I really love using it and the whole lever process. I find the shots it produces to be quite different to the Classic (even my wife noticed) but I couldn't choose which one was better...So kept them both and paired with a Mazzer SJ.

Espresso: Ceado E92 (modified for single dose); Vesuvius; VST baskets and refractometer.

Other: Aeropress, Sowden and Alessi Moka Pot; Mazzer Robur doser with Auber timer; Mazzer Mini E; Expobar Leva Dual Boiler