Just thought I'd register & say hello; so, uhh.. Hello!

Hailing from a small village called Monikie near Dundee in Scotland. My thanks to @bubbajvegas for the tip to come here. Currently looking to overhaul my coffee set up & get away from the typical Nespresso / Dulce Gusto (Other brands of pod machine are available :act-up:) into some decent coffee.

Ive always loved a good espresso. It went a bit turbo when the wife bought me a handpresso for the office. Since then I've felt that I need something better in the house with less effort than the hand pump, more versatility and better quality coffee than the pod machine. I also have a very good merchant close by for good beans. Braithwaites has been in Dundee since the early 1900's as well as the usual suspects online.

Of course I blame it all on Bubba after a visit to his & seeing his set up (Cheers Chris :p:p )

I'll never be a barista, but then again; I have a very obsessive & addictive personality. I have to go full bore on anything I get into, so no doubt this will be a regular stop on the way of the "hobby train"

Currently considering dipping my toe in with the Sage Oracle... Or do I go another direction completely! Ohh the dilemma!

Looking forward to seeing what's around the forum.

Cheers

Rob

Welcome Rob and personally - I would spend a bit more time maybe even a few weeks looking at the possible machines and grinders - its just my opinion but the sage grinders are not upto the quality of the espresso part of the machine - as I say just my opinion - do you have a budget in mind / space available / ...

my brother in law started looking at a set up from scratch and almost chose several different machines even a sage at one point before ending up with a fantastic set up of a Rocket and an E65 grinder which do the business !

all opinions are my own I have not received any free equipment or favours from suppliers 

Welcome Rob and personally - I would spend a bit more time maybe even a few weeks looking at the possible machines and grinders - its just my opinion but the sage grinders are not upto the quality of the espresso part of the machine - as I say just my opinion - do you have a budget in mind / space available / ...

my brother in law started looking at a set up from scratch and almost chose several different machines even a sage at one point before ending up with a fantastic set up of a Rocket and an E65 grinder which do the business !

Thanks for the welcome & appreciate the feedback. To make clear - Ive been looking at every machine & grinder on the market combined within the same price range as the Oracle for around 6 weeks. The attractive part of the sage is of course the ease of use, with what reads like very good results.. I have read the feedback on the grinder, but need to do a bit more reading with regard to why as its basically the Smart Grinder integrated there in...is it all that bad? For a novice home barista like myself, I am unsure of the impact it would have on my brewing capabilities. I am no connoisseur even if I like to pretend to be :D

@Pseudonym good to see ya doing ya research bro @ronsil any 1st hand experiences of pros and cons of your oracle u could share

NME

Bosco Sorrento/Eureka Mythos/Torr Palisander XS Convex/VST 18g Ridgeless/Motta Jug/Bialetti Brikka​/FJY Syphon/Porlex/IngenuiTEA

Welcome pseudonym always good to have more Scottish members. I've had a few machines and grinders but never had a sage...A classic is always a good starting point with something like a mignon, probably the cheapest set up for decent coffee.

What's the point...it'll only change soon!

Hi & welcome to the Forum Pseudonym.

Pleased to see you looking at the market in search of a new espresso experience.

Nowadays the choice is enormous as indeed are the products of all the fine roasters you see mentioned here.

Greetings @bubbajvegas. I do confirm I am very pleased with the Oracle. It's very much meeting my current needs whereby others, visitors & family can use the Machine very easily once I've set it up for a bean.

It's very consistent in output & I am comparing with many other machines, mostly top of the range, I've owned.

As for the grinder it's by no means the best of whats on the market. I have kept my EK43 & most of my own personal espresso, dark roast of course, I put through that.

Mentioned in other threads I get round the grinder deficiencies by adopting a wasteful approach in its use. It doses at 21.5 grams after a little adjustment. I put 24 grams per shot into the hopper & only put in the amount of shots going to be produced at one session. Afterwards a complete clean out of all grinds/beans retained in the hopper & burrs, removing & cleaning the burrs once a fortnight. Will also shorten the life of the burrs I reckon but the burr set is not overpriced at circa £80 p/set

If you buy one you may well not wish to do this 'faff' but each to his/her own.

Without question the milk micro foam is exceptional. On auto it really works a treat & if you want you can still produce excellent results setting it on manual. I would say as good as the 'steam blade' I had on the Vesuvius

The whole Machine needs to be kept extra clean to perform at its best but it does do the business with the shortcomings I've mentioned.

The DB is cheaper but you do not have the auto steam facility & of course no grinder or built in auto tamper. Very necessary if you are wanting unskilled folk to enjoy a coffee.

So there you go 'horses for courses' as they say.

Ron 

Ron

Appreciate the candid feedback! This perhaps isnt the forum for it, but I assume there isnt the the option to fit the shim on the burrs to better increase grind? I'm probably not the first to ask this, so excuse me for the questions between reading threads.

Hi welcome to the forum ,

there is is a very well looked after R58 in the for sale section with a whole load of goodies to boot

I provoked people by saying Flat burr grinders are far far better than conical ones 

Hi welcome to the forum ,

there is is a very well looked after R58 in the for sale section with a whole load of goodies to boot

I have insufficent posts... quick, someone say something! :D

I have insufficent posts... quick, someone say something! :D

Reply to this will help

I provoked people by saying Flat burr grinders are far far better than conical ones 

Don't think you can easily add a shim.

Doesn't bother me plenty fine enough for darker beans.

Ron

Ron 

Rob, fancy seeing you here, after upgrading to the r58 I can happily recomend

Well hello there matey! Nice to see you too :)

Thanks for the tip Ross. Much more reading to be done me thinks.