Gaggia Classic + Rancilio Steam Wand - Won't Fit

Hello all,

Recently joined the ranks of the home espresso makers with a used Gaggia Classic (2014, metal portafilter spouts et al) as recommended here. Very happy with all but the steam wand, I am completely new to the process but even the other half (experienced barista) had difficulty producing anything decent with the standard wand.

Ordered the Rancilio steam wand modification but when I attempted to fit it, no joy. Wont insert far enough into the machine for the nut to grab hold of the threading. Seems to me that the diameter of the wand beyond the collar is ever so slightly larger (Looks like half a millimeter at most) than the standard. The difference is almost imperceivable to my eye and I wasnt aware of any compatibility issues but it just wont go in.

Is this common, has this happened to anyone here before?

Thanks,

Some of the tips need sanding down to make them fit.

Im unsure why there seems to be this anomaly with some of the wands, as a lot of them go straight in as mine did

see post #3 http://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthread.php?31826&p=425569#post425569

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-equipment-midrange-500-1500/26441-changing-steam-wand-gaggia-classic-silvia-wand.html

• 2 weeks later...
Hi. I'm new to this forum and have just bought my first Gaggia Classic (it's just been dispatched ). Can I ask, is this the right replacement steam wand?
@Dave M

Can I ask what model number your gaggia classic is ?

if it's the RI9403/11 then do not buy one of these, they will not fit

If it's not the RI9403/11 then it will fit but need a small amount of modifying to fit

You can buy a pre modified one for a little extra

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Modified-Rancilio-Silvia-Gaggia-ESPRESS/dp/B00MZA8OVU

@Dave M

If it's not the RI9403/11 then it will fit but need a small amount of modifying to fit

I'm not sure. The seller said it's a couple of years old. It's due to be delivered tomorrow but I'm away until Saturday so won't know until then. Thanks for the info. I'll hold off buying until I find out which model it is.

@Dave M

Just re read your post. My Gaggia has turned up and it's the R19303/11 so it should fit right?

Sorry, Ive just seen this. This is the exact item I bought and it didn't fit. I think bought the "pre modified" one and it worked without issue.

Hi can anyone point me to a clear set of instructions on how to modify the wand to fit?

Mine does not go into the machine far enough in order to tighten the nut. Do i file the end of the pipe or the bulge part on the wand?

very confused

Thanks