garydyke1

How snug should the tamper fit?

My current equipment is a Happy Donkey tamper and Gaggia Classic standard 58mm basket (again from Happy Donkey).

The tamper measures 57mm, the basket 58-59mm.

When tamping there is 1.2mm+ coffee left round the edges.

I am looking to upgrade to a Torr tamper which comes in either 58mm or 58mm+. The 58mm would still leave 0.6mm gap round the edges but the 58+ would be a truely snug fit.

Which one would be best??

n.b - I emailed Cafe Culture and they recommended 58mm Convex base and suggested that modulation of loose coffee and edge sealing is better achieved with a ''slight gap'', they steered me away from the 58+. Problem is they dont know just how big my basket is, the 58mm would probably still leave a significant gap!

@garydyke1

Hi Gary, I'm in exactly the same situation - Classic with HD basket & HD tamper, which is *slightly* too small. I'm mulling over if the size mismatch will have any effect on the espresso. At the moment, after the first tamp, I either give the PF a good slap to dislodge the 'uncompressed rim' and retamp, or use a paperclip to move the rim into the centre and then retamp. How do you currently cope?

Is it really worth the cost of a new tamper? I don't know!

I currently let the weight of the tamper push the grind down, add a little pressure, then do a NSEW , then a final harder press down and polish. I used to tap the p'filter until the edges fell in but sometimes cracks would appear = not good.

Looking at spent pucks I sometimes see the edges on the bottom are darker than the middle, leads me to believe an un-even extraction has occured.

My shots are good 60-70% of the time. I truely believe a better fitting tamper should produce better results, if not then at least another variable has been fixed.

I tried using a friends bottomless portfilter using the above technique, it didnt spray everywhere but the shots were consistantly bitter and occasionally would come out in 2 jets rather than one!

@garydyke1

0.6mm is not much of a gap and should be barely noticeable

If the fit is too snug you run the risk of dislodging the grinds with any errant movements

Try to distribute before pressing down and see if that helps with the current tamper

Home Barista Training - contact me to discuss your requirements

I've got a 58.5mm tamper and all my baskets are 58mm so the fit is as snug as it gets. The only problem is you will get the odd stray grinds getting jammed in-between the tamper and basket. Then it's difficult to get it out again without dislodging the rest of the grinds. The trick is to just let the tamper weight push the grinds down a bit the remove and wipe any strays from the edge with your finger then tamp with pressure. This always works for me and I never get any side channeling or mess around the edges.

Rancilio Silvia V3 | Compak K3 Touch | Reg Barber 58.5mm | Grindenstein knockbox | Synesso Double Ridgeless

[ATTACH=CONFIG]554[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]555[/ATTACH]

some pictures

@garydyke1

[ATTACH=CONFIG]556[/ATTACH]

one more. These pics are just to highlight the current gap

Edited by garydyke1
adding text

@garydyke1

I've got a 58.5mm tamper and all my baskets are 58mm so the fit is as snug as it gets. The only problem is you will get the odd stray grinds getting jammed in-between the tamper and basket. Then it's difficult to get it out again without dislodging the rest of the grinds. The trick is to just let the tamper weight push the grinds down a bit the remove and wipe any strays from the edge with your finger then tamp with pressure. This always works for me and I never get any side channeling or mess around the edges.

Interesting, thanks for the input.

@garydyke1

There is a perfect solution, but it's expensive! If you mail your basket to Reg Barber they will make a tamper that fits it perfectly. :>)))

That said, I sometimes wonder how good the tolerance is on baskets as they come from the manufacturer - even on commercial ones.

Why not get a new basket, rather than tamper? A tamper will be ten times the price of a basket!!

Either way, theres no problem with a slight gap, but that does seem larger than normal...

I had a 57mm tamper before and the gap it left at the edges looked exactly the same as yours so you might get away with a 58+. I just couldn't stand the grinds clinging to the edges at all so I wanted a perfect fit. In the mean time look up the nutate style tamp. This is what I used to do before I got the current one and it worked well.

Rancilio Silvia V3 | Compak K3 Touch | Reg Barber 58.5mm | Grindenstein knockbox | Synesso Double Ridgeless

There is a perfect solution, but it's expensive! If you mail your basket to Reg Barber they will make a tamper that fits it perfectly. :>))).

I asked this question before but didn't get an answer: What happens with a custom-fitted tamper when you subsequently change your basket? Surely it's now just a tamper, not a custom one?

That's exactly what it will be.

Home Barista Training - contact me to discuss your requirements

I dont fancy shelling out for a full custom, however I want a generic sized one which will fit any 58mm basket. It appears:

58 will fit

58+ will also fit.

Either one will require slightly differing tamp styles/techniques....

58+ may fit my current basket better, however I may end up with another 58mm basket at some stage in the future which is a little smaller.

So 58 may be more 'future proof' although a compromise on my current set-up.

@garydyke1

Just to confuse matters a bit more... I have 4 58mm baskets from 3 different manufacturers and my 58.5 fits them all.

Just re-discovered this in Rao's 'Professional Barista's Handbook':

"I have so far found the ideal gap between tamper and basket to be 5/1000th of an inch, ie a difference of 10/1000th (0.25mm)."

Just re-discovered this in Rao's 'Professional Barista's Handbook':

"I have so far found the ideal gap between tamper and basket to be 5/1000th of an inch, ie a difference of 10/1000th (0.25mm)."

Wow , that is a tight tollorance. Think Ill shoot for the 58+ then!

Cheers all for the input

@garydyke1

[ATTACH=CONFIG]554[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]555[/ATTACH]

some pictures

I hope you brush off the excess... lol I have the same kit as you and find i do a few light tamps around the edges not even using the weight of the tamper then one true tamp in the centre does the trick. I do use the WDT before tamping though.

Another question is that a single basket? Looks pretty full to be a double? With a double basket and 16.6g grind My tampers angle is in line with the top of my basket by the time in done.

Cheers

PaulN

Gaggia Classic c/w Silvia Wand & OPV Mod, Ascaso I-Mini Grinder, Happy Donkey Bottomless Porta Filter & Tamper, Grindenstein Coffee Knock Box. @ Work Presso Machine & Krups Burr Grinder.

Whats the next standard size up i could quite easily turn the OD down to fit a basket here at work.... lol When i say me i mean our tool shop chap as my hands are too smooth to use machines......

Measuring the ID of the basket would need a vernier to measure close enough.

Gaggia Classic c/w Silvia Wand & OPV Mod, Ascaso I-Mini Grinder, Happy Donkey Bottomless Porta Filter & Tamper, Grindenstein Coffee Knock Box. @ Work Presso Machine & Krups Burr Grinder.

I hope you brush off the excess... lol I have the same kit as you and find i do a few light tamps around the edges not even using the weight of the tamper then one true tamp in the centre does the trick. I do use the WDT before tamping though.

Another question is that a single basket? Looks pretty full to be a double? With a double basket and 16.6g grind My tampers angle is in line with the top of my basket by the time in done.

Cheers

PaulN

Yep, normally wipe of the excess haha.

It is a double basket. Gets overfilled, excess levelled off, ends up weighing about 16-17g. After the final tamp it almost lines up.

The pics were just to show the gap , that isnt a normal prep for a shot.

@garydyke1

Whats the next standard size up i could quite easily turn the OD down to fit a basket here at work.... lol When i say me i mean our tool shop chap as my hands are too smooth to use machines......

Measuring the ID of the basket would need a vernier to measure close enough.

Its either 58 or 58+. The 58+ is 58.4-58.6 depending on how the wind blows, cant get a clear answer from Cafe-Kultur/TORR/Pasmarose.

@garydyke1

I had the HD 57mm and replaced it with a 58mm convex - I am much happier with the new one.

Still learning on... Gaggia TS, Cunill Tauro, PTM Tamper, Motta Tamping Stand and Knock Box, Gaggia Milk Jug and fresh beans!

Here's my ten pence worth. I also use the HD tamper 58mm in the standard Gaggia double basket and like you there is a gap of course. I personally haven't found issue with this since I improved my technique somewhat. I always let the tamp do the work first and settle evenly in the basket with the addition of a NSEW movement, then apply pressure. At this point I was tapping the side of the PF with the tamper to free the grinds that accumulate up the side of the basket but like others realised this wasn't the way to go and now use a 1/4" paint brush around the inside edge of the PF which works fantastically. I then flip the PF over and lose the loose coffee and finish with a final polish. Having said all that it would be interesting to see how things pan out whichever way you decide to go.

Gaggia Selecta Coffee Delux (Rancilio Silvia steam wand mod, OPV and steam valve mod) : Iberital MC2 : Happy Donkey Tamper : Gaggia Bottomless Portafilter :

Favourite coffee/roast is currently BSCA#1 Brazilian Speciality Coffee Association number 1 blend from Two Day Coffee Roasters Bristol :

Andy - I got a TORR 58+ Convex, it fits perfectly in both Baskets I have ,and, the results are noticably better!

@garydyke1

Oh that's great, I will have to have a look at that for myself. thanks for letting me know. A

Gaggia Selecta Coffee Delux (Rancilio Silvia steam wand mod, OPV and steam valve mod) : Iberital MC2 : Happy Donkey Tamper : Gaggia Bottomless Portafilter :

Favourite coffee/roast is currently BSCA#1 Brazilian Speciality Coffee Association number 1 blend from Two Day Coffee Roasters Bristol :