interesting - but they would get better results if they flushed the head first then used it for say 10 secs - all in all I would give it a go when its on the market. - do you work for them? - unusual for a first post. cheers Jim

keep calm and grind flat

Not working for them. Heard about it from a friend, was wondering about the opinion of the experts...

I like it but just hope they don't price themselves out the market, as a good stiff brush isn't that expensive and I think we all use them.

Espresso: Quick Mill Verona

Grinder: Mythos and loving it

Tampers: Reg Barber flat 58.35

Not working for them. Heard about it from a friend, was wondering about the opinion of the experts...

Another solution looking for a problem....I use a pallo coffee tool brush, does the job had it for years.

Crem One 2B DBPP (pre production version), ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DBPP (paddle flow control), Lelit Mara X Prototype, BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK, Eureka Atom Speciality 75, Eureka "Blow UP System", VDT Vibration thing: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Try a spoon, or lance the group seal and remove as a pair

Londinium R - Mahlkönig EK43

Making coffee can be that great...

@obsessivity

all seems a bit aggressive for something we do all the time for cleaning.. shame there's no clamp like gadget

Can't beat the old inverted spoon....

Crem One 2B DBPP (pre production version), ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DBPP (paddle flow control), Lelit Mara X Prototype, BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK, Eureka Atom Speciality 75, Eureka "Blow UP System", VDT Vibration thing: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Upside down spoon as above, or even the plastic handle of my group cleaning brush. That can slip but being plastic it doesn't matter.

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

anyone know of a killer bit of kit for removing a e61 screen without going at it with a screw driver ?

Get an electromagnet thats the right size

https://www.magnetics.com/product.asp?ProductID=135

The E61 shower CUP is not meant to come out on its own - Pull the group seal out & the shower cup comes out with it.....

New seal + shower cup are always fitted together.

Simples

It's very easy for anyone else wondering here is a video with the special killer tools mentioned for doing this job. Although the vid is a few minutes long it actually takes less than 60s to do and I do it ever day or every other day. It's an essential routine for keeping your coffee tasting great and cleans all the parts that back flushing with cleaner doesn't clean properly. If the shower screen holes are starting to get blocked use a group cleaning brush with small stiff bristles or an old toothbrush (with washing up liquid) to get them really clean

Nice and simple routine. How about the dispersion screw or whatever it's called, is it worth taking it out and clean behind?

Nice and simple routine. How about the dispersion screw or whatever it's called, is it worth taking it out and clean behind?

No..I never bother...backflushing with cleaner every month or so gets those channels and the cam chamber.

Makes me wonder, how many folks actually have a backflushing routine?

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3 + Mahlkonig EK43 Turkish burrs + Niche

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

Makes me wonder, how many folks actually have a backflushing routine?

Sadly I suspect more people than we would like are focussed on the amount of money they can spend on the equipment, the grinder and the coffee and fail to keep the machine spotlessly clean inside where the coffee stuff happens. They will happily not clean the shower screen for weeks, but wouldn't use the same cup for 2 weeks even if they rinsed it out every day or even every time they used it. Life is so strange and it's one of those messages with legs, it will run and run longer than the Mousetrap..

What about backflushing without cleaner? I‘ve read now that some do it after every shot, daily, weekly or never. Do you see any point in that?

What about backflushing without cleaner? I‘ve read now that some do it after every shot, daily, weekly or never. Do you see any point in that?

I personally found it doesn't do so much.....so I stopped bothering, but if it makes you feel better it definitely doesn't do any harm.With the E61 lever group specifically, there are certain areas brew water touches and certain areas it doesn't. Some of those areas you can clean manually with a sponge, others require a backflush to clean them.. One of the key tells is flush water through the group into a white cup, it there is any hint of colour with the initial 30 ml...it's not clean.

With the Vesuvius I am a little spoilt as a light backflush with cleaner can often be done with less criticality to lubricate because of no preinfusion spring applying pressure to the cam (especially on my machine, because it has a differently cut cam to other production models). Even so If the lever feels at all stiff I lube the system and I only use a small amount of detergent, as per the tiny spoon at the back of my pallo coffee tool brush. The other trick is to backflush properly....which is not what I put in the instructions I write for BB on machines I review, because it's a little awkward to explain. One day perhaps I will do a video showing how to backflush a lever E61 group properly.

Ohh a dave video coming up can't wait always such a pleasurable and educational watch.

It doesn't matter how you get there it's only the end result that matters

Ohh a dave video coming up can't wait always such a pleasurable and educational watch.

I need to translate my turn of phrase

"One day perhaps" = "probably never because I can't be arsed".........So you might have a very long wait :p

In fact I have pretty much stopped doing reviews these days, pretty much lost interest in anything that doesn't personally excite me. I have declined the last 3 project requests (2 machines and an expensive high end grinder) and just about to decline one more. I'll save myself for twin boiler saturated lever machines and the odd machine where I directly get involved with development.

Surely a 5min dave special on backflushing wouldn't be too much to ask for? Something very much to look forward to in the dark days of winter

It doesn't matter how you get there it's only the end result that matters

Oh well... I’m glad you took the time to review both the Bianca and the Niche - doubt that I will be in the market for anything before either breaks down terminally.