Hi folks,

newbie here!..been browsing for a bit, this is a truly wonderful resource....!

...having "inherited" a Baby Gaggia from my son-in-law, I've been enjoying pretty decent home-made flat whites using quality pre-ground coffee, and am now keen to take the next step and start grinding my own beans.

I'm sure these sort of questions get asked all the time, so I won't be offended if no one replies - (apparently I need 5 posts to see the for-sales anyway!)

I'm really only a weekend coffee drinker and its generally just me, and very occasionally my wife, and can't justify spending hundreds of pounds on one of those nice grinders I see discussed here (though budget wise, I'd be prepared to pay around £200)....physical size is an issue too...

I'm probably answering my own question, but would you suggest a quality hand grinder is the way to go?

I'll pretty much only be looking for a fine espresso grind and would love to hear some recommendations.

cheers,

Des.

Pre owned eureka mignon? I love mine...

Gaggia Classic (Pre-Phillips) With Silvia Wand Mod

Eureka Mignon Grinder

+1 for a pre-owned Mignon. In busy weeks when I'm not working at home, often I end up drinking coffee only at the weekend and my argument has been even if that's all I'm drinking, I want to make sure it's a drink that I can lovingly and carefully prepare and enjoy drinking - so an investment in decent kit is worth it.

Hand grinding for espresso can be a little tiresome but it's feasible. I own a ROK espresso hand grinder which is intended for the purpose but as I "backed it" it took so long to come thought that I'd already moved on to capable electric grinders before it arrived. Anyway something like that or the Hausgrind/Lido E (espresso intended) or Lido 3 are all capable of doing the job but it'd annoy me a little too much to do it long term. That's horses for courses though.

I think the mignon is very kitchen friendly and well thought of so a good bet, or something like the Baratza Preciso (I'm selling one atm) is also a relatively good option. That can also do filter type grind if you should so wish...

Everything my heart could desire (more or less). . .

https://cupperjoe.com

..incidentally, my son gave me an old charity shop grinder, ( the usual cheapo wooden box thing with big handle), and even though its a coarse grind ( and stupidly hard work!!), the difference in my cafetiere with beans over pre-ground was enough to convince me that grinding was the way to go!

(apparently I need 5 posts to see the for-sales anyway!)

(though budget wise, I'd be prepared to pay around £200)....physical size is an issue too...

Hi there Des,

Realistically theres only one grinder the fulfills the criteria ,for-sale section means your open to 2nd hand, budget of £200, physical size, able to grind for espresso.

The Eureka Mignon

Ive got one and love it.

Hi there Des,

Realistically theres only one grinder the fulfills the criteria ,for-sale section means your open to 2nd hand, budget of £200, physical size, able to grind for espresso.

The Eureka Mignon

Ive got one and love it.

..seems to be a pattern emerging here!

Hi, if you looking to do both cafetiere and espresso then a mignon can be difficult to dial in back and forth, leading you back to a hand grinder if size is an issue. As well as the aforementioned lido 3/ e, feldgrind you might also find a pharos as a static option, bit more fiddly, but quality in the cup.

Hope of help

John

Roasters: BB Dalian Amazon 1kg -Power contolled GeneCafe 101- 106Kg of greens - Tonino

Espresso: Londinium L2 - Gaggia G105 - Silvia v3 Mr.Shades PID'-d - Faema E92a2 (Project) - MyPressi Twist - VST baskets / Motta Europa (350/500/750ml) - Torr Ti 58.55 & Goldfinger flat 58.4 TiBlack, Pullman 51.4 - Acaia x2

Grinders: Flats: Compak R120 - NS Mythos plus Conics: Compak K10PB - Lido 3

Brewed: Behmor Brazen - Moccamaster KBGT471 - Aeropress - V60 - Cona model D - Clever - Mizudashi - 8-10 + 6 cup Chemex

Water: BWT Bestmax V Refrac: VST III

and a Puq Press not in a pear tree..

Hi there Des,

The Eureka Mignon

Ive got one and love it.

I know a lot of people aren't too keen but he could actually buy a Sage Smart Grinder Pro which he could buy new for under £180 and they are also small and a bit more modern (if thats what OP is looking for).

Sage DB (black) and Niche Zero (black)

first Welcome to coffee forums!! for that price me too will go for preowned mignon. if you only do espresso, its good value for the money and if hand grinder for espresso you will give up at some point. altho i do have a ROK that works good for filter and cold brew and fresh beans espresso but as the beans age it can't go any finer.

Have fun and after you get to grind your own beans you would understand that there is no such thing as "Quality" pre-ground coffee. :p

Hi, if you looking to do both cafetiere and espresso then a mignon can be difficult to dial in back and forth, leading you back to a hand grinder if size is an issue. As well as the aforementioned lido 3/ e, feldgrind you might also find a pharos as a static option, bit more fiddly, but quality in the cup.

Hope of help

John

... thanks for info, the cafetiere has been demoted to the back of the cupboard since I got the Gaggia, so not really an issue....that was just a one off as the coffe grounds were too coarse for espresso...

I know a lot of people aren't too keen but he could actually buy a Sage Smart Grinder Pro which he could buy new for under £180 and they are also small and a bit more modern (if thats what OP is looking for).

..that's interesting, my s-I-l swears by his new Sage machine (hence me getting the old one!), though he doesn't have the grinder - I'll check it out.

first Welcome to coffee forums!! for that price me too will go for preowned mignon. if you only do espresso, its good value for the money and if hand grinder for espresso you will give up at some point. altho i do have a ROK that works good for filter and cold brew and fresh beans espresso but as the beans age it can't go any finer.

Have fun and after you get to grind your own beans you would understand that there is no such thing as "Quality" pre-ground coffee. :p

..cheers Dan, and thanks to everyone else taking the time to reply - I hadn't expected such positive and friendly feedback!!....(I regularly browse a cycling forum and nearly every thread ends up in a flame-war after 4 or 5 posts!).

I totally take your point, Dan :-).....however, my learning curve has been : supermarket pre-ground in the cafetiere, Lavazza in the Gaggia, to the present Monmouth or Bean Smitten pre-ground - so you see where I'm coming from with the "quality" angle!

I have the grinder. It's perfectly fine for what you are asking. Can grind for any coffee and looks good too. A few people have one on here but many more people have or have used the mignon and prefer that grinder.

Sage DB (black) and Niche Zero (black)

. - I hadn't expected such positive and friendly feedback!!....(I regularly browse a cycling forum and nearly every thread ends up in a flame-war after 4 or 5 posts!).

.....however, my learning curve has been Lavazza in the Gaggia,

Youve mentioned laVazza, it could all change !

Youve mentioned laVazza, it could all change !

...hey, a boys got to learn!....and to be fair, my second favourite coffee shop near the office uses them...

Nnnnooooottttt LaVazza!!!! Be gone from here! 😈😈😈🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

Did someone say coffee?

:Gaggia Classic--> Nuova Simonelli Oscar--> fracino Cherub:Mazzer SuperJolly:Hario V60+aeropress+french press:

....I did my second-favourite coffee shop a dis-service when I mentioned the "L" word....its Illy they use - have I redeemed myself or dug the hole deeper? ;-)

...anyways, re grinders, next time we're in town, I'll try to get my wife onside (another unnecessary gadget, in her opinion) by having a look at the Sage ones in John Lewis while keeping an eye open for a Mignon....