Hello,

I own a Gaggia Classic and Iberital MC2 grinder. They have served me well over the years, but I feel like it's time to upgrade. Especially after coming back to this forum. I've lusted after a Rocket, ECM, Expobar or Isomac or Lever type machine for years and now have the money to splash out. A machine like those would look great on my counter top!

So my consumption is as follows: At home one or two coffees on weekdays, with 3 or 4 on the weekends. Plus drinks for visitors. Mainly double shot with a bit of steamed milk. I'm planning to drink more espresso and sample different flavours, using fresher beans - maybe even roast my own in time. I have the Aeropress and Porlex hand grinder, which I use at work and trips away. T

I've read the importance of not scrimping on the grinder on this forum and by attending a barista course my wife paid for some time ago. I've also learned that my machine just cannot texture milk to practice the fancy art you see on Youtube, etc. I used to chat to a lady who ran the coffee bar at our work and she showed me how good she could steam milk.

Grinder first. I'm looking to spend £250 - £400. I considered the Eureka Mk2 with a machine / package deal. I then thought about a used better quality grinder, then saw the new Baratza Sette recently. I'm not sure that i would get the one with the weight feature. The plan is to see how the Sette reviews or get a better quality second hand grinder and replace the burrs. I just have to watch kitchen space when considering a Mazzer, etc!

Moving onto the machine. I'd like decent Espresso, but need the ability to texture milk well - much better than my Gaggia Classic. Apart from when I'm making for a group when people visit - which takes forever on my Gaggia, I make coffee for just me. Do you think a dual boiler would be over the top? Do any of you own a decent machine that can make great espresso, when used with a quality grinder, and can texture milk like a pro machine?

Looks. I just love the look of the classic machines and want one. I ordered the sage DB, as I read good stuff about it and the price was good, but my wife pointed out that if I'm spending £1000+ I should pay more for what I want. Decided to cancel the order - although the £850 deal looks good - albeit for Red. I like the look of the Lever machines, but I've read they can be difficult to master and the steam may not be quite there for milk texturing. Maybe someone can tell me wrong?

Summary - Decent quality grinder. Nice espresso. Ability to texture milk well.

I think I may be slightly closer when considering grinders, but need more food for thought when it comes to the machine. Hopefully someone can spike my interest with a suggestion or 3.

Are you looking to buy new or would you consider used?

What's the point...it'll only change soon!

What a great situation to be in. With that budget you can get into some really good kit. That's dual boiler and big burr country. I wouldn't be afraid of second hand kit from forum owners either. We treat our kit better the our children. Get some gear you'll be happy with for a long time.

Espresso: Ceado E92 (modified for single dose); Vesuvius; VST baskets and refractometer.

Other: Aeropress, Sowden and Alessi Moka Pot; Mazzer Robur doser with Auber timer; Mazzer Mini E; Expobar Leva Dual Boiler

Quickmill Veloce and a used Mazzer - if I had the brass

keep calm and grind flat

When you get your post count up, there's a classified section with some lovely machines and grinders pop up regularly.

Most long term members really treasure their gear so don't be afraid to go secondhand here.

Bought all my grinders from the classifieds and loved them all.

I've ended up with a Mythos from there at a great price.

Espresso: Quick Mill Verona

Grinder: Mythos and loving it

Tampers: Reg Barber flat 58.35

Interested in seeing other people's opinions on this topic as I'm in the same situation.

After extensive research I've decided on the Oscar 2 machine. I like how it looks and the ease of use. Steam wand I've heard a lot of positive comments.

The grinder us what I'm stuck on too. Want to spend arpund £300 and the options I'm looking at are eureka mignon or used super jolly. Any other options to pair with Oscar 2?

Keen to hear people's views on this as I'm having the same conundrum too. Have been lurking on CF for a while after taking the plunge on a Classic 2 years ago (if only I knew what I was getting into!). Gaggia was a great starter but upgraditis inevitably hit so recently taken delivery of an ECM Mechanika Profi. Loving it but pretty much immediately I can see that my Sage smart grinder isn't going to do the job so question now is whether I hold out for something like the Sette or go used for something bigger.

Hello all. I took the plunge and bought an Expobar Dual boiler from a forum member. Bought last year from Bella Barista and still has nearly a year, transferable warranty. Really pleased - although I can't steam textured milk that well yet. Had better results from the Gaggia, but need to practice. May buy the 2 hole steam wand.

Grinder - I'm waiting for the Sette to come out. I may even get the weight version.

... can't steam textured milk that well yet. ...may buy the 2 hole steam wand.

Plenty of good videos around on how to texture milk.

Single hole tip produces much finer microform than the two hole tip which kicks up too much turbulence.

You need a good jug. Motta is a proven one. I have a WMf one I like. Some folk have top-secret Japanese technology.

Angle your arm about 20-30 degrees from vertical, put it in the side of your jug with the olive below the surface; get the milk spinning around (whirlpool) first, then move the tip toward the center a bit until the milk starts to tumble over itself as well as spinning around the jug. This motion, provided you keep it smooth with no spitting, will deliver slick microfoam.

Espresso: Ceado E92 (modified for single dose); Vesuvius; VST baskets and refractometer.

Other: Aeropress, Sowden and Alessi Moka Pot; Mazzer Robur doser with Auber timer; Mazzer Mini E; Expobar Leva Dual Boiler

I have tried with a different jug and also some Organic full fat. Made a large latte for s neighbour and got the swirl right for the first time. No latte art, but when I poured it over a nice double shot of fresh Honduran, it cascaded like s pint of Guinness. Neighbour said its the best coffee had ever had. I have some double wall large glasses.

I tried again and shot good results. I think I was trying to foam too little in a small jug and it heated up too quick. Feeling a lot more positive. Thanks for the tips. I have 3 jug. The best one I find is the small Motta.