Father_Java

New Ceado E37S - Spraying Norizontally

I received a brand new E37S a couple of days ago and was somewhat disappointed in the way it randomly decides to spray the grinds almost horizontally at times!!!

When it decides to go into 'spray mode' the grinds miss the portafilter totally and end up all over the worktop. I'm hoping that once the burrs have seasoned, the problem will disappear...fingers crossed as it's a lot of money and I expected better for the £1k price.

I have adjusted the SCC control every which way but I can't find a position that stops the random spraying. I have noticed that if I adjust the grind towards the course end of the scale, the spraying stops but then the grind is too course for espresso.

In the mean time, I have fashioned a 'guide' out of a piece of beer can to direct the grinds downward into the portafilter. Although not very elegant looking, it has been working quite effectively and all of the grinds now reliably end up where they should be (there is nowhere else they can go).... photos below.

Standard spout is totally open at the front allowing grinds to exit horizontally at times

Spout1.jpg

Guide made out of a piece of beer can, cut with kitchen scissors and bent to fit the front of the chute

20160622_115801_IMGL1656_LR.jpg

Held in place by a piece of duct tape wrapped around the chute and tin guide

20160622_115801_IMGL1656_LR-2.jpg

Grinds now directed straight down and into the portafilter

20160622_120302_IMGL1657_LR.jpg

20160622_120305_IMGL1666_LR.jpg

All in all, this is a lovely grinder and fits my needs perfectly. The grind quality is very good.

The mechanical design and build is excellent although the cosmetic finish is not so good (a number of very noticeable paint blemishes).

I'm not sorry I bought it, just sorry that Ceado haven't addressed the spraying problem as it has been reported by other owners as well.

Father Java: Quick Mill Verona, Ceado E37S, Rancilio Silvia V4, Eureka Mignon, Aeropress

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Thanks MrBoots, very interesting reading

Father Java: Quick Mill Verona, Ceado E37S, Rancilio Silvia V4, Eureka Mignon, Aeropress

Try adding a few drops of water to the beans and report back. I'm thinking it's static, but I'm yet to see a video of this so called spraying.

T.

Espresso: Londinium L1, ZR-71 grinder

Photography: Flickr

Try adding a few drops of water to the beans and report back. I'm thinking it's static, but I'm yet to see a video of this so called spraying.

T.

Adding water wouldn't be very practical for me as I don't single dose, I tend to keep the hopper reasonably full

That's a bugger then as I'm fairly sure it would help.

One other way to battle it would be to stick a mesh inside the chute to create some back pressure, but then you are increasing retention and it's not easy to clean anymore.

T.

Espresso: Londinium L1, ZR-71 grinder

Photography: Flickr

It's the scc thingy, too open and it shoots out, too closed and it gets clumpy. Best to adjust it with an empty chamber, though your mod looks pretty simple and effective. Do you get nice fluffy output?

It's the scc thingy, too open and it shoots out, too closed and it gets clumpy. Best to adjust it with an empty chamber, though your mod looks pretty simple and effective. Do you get nice fluffy output?

I took it all to bits this afternoon, cleaned it all out, made sure the SCC thing was fully open and now the grinds are consistently light and fluffy and the flow into the portafilter is much stronger. Much happier with it now.

I am convinced that the SCC thing is also effecting the grind fineness, maybe? because when it is closed, grinds are backing up in the burrs and getting re-ground? Not sure? Anyway, I am almost certain that with the SCC contraption fully open, the output is noticeably courser than when it is closed for the same grind setting......if that makes sense?

Edited by Father_Java

I took it all to bits this afternoon, cleaned it all out, made sure the SCC thing was fully open and now the grinds are consistently light and fluffy and the flow into the portafilter is much stronger. Much happier with it now.

I am convinced that the SCC thing is also effecting the grind fineness, maybe? because when it is closed, grinds are backing up in the burrs and getting re-ground? Not sure? Anyway, I am almost certain that with the SCC contraption fully open, the output is noticeably courser than when it is closed for the same grind setting than it is with the SCC thing closed......if that makes sense?

I've asked a similar question a while ago. Got an answer to it after some research and input from a forum member:

Effects of anti-static devices when pulling a shot

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fcoffeeforums%2Eco%2Euk%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D28968&share_tid=28968&share_fid=6813&share_type=t

I am convinced that the SCC thing is also effecting the grind fineness, maybe? because when it is closed, grinds are backing up in the burrs and getting re-ground? Not sure? Anyway, I am almost certain that with the SCC contraption fully open, the output is noticeably courser than when it is closed for the same grind setting than it is with the SCC thing closed......if that makes sense?

That matches my experience exactly. With no back pressure from the scc, you get a coarser grind. Your beer can cover is a great solution allowing you to fully open the scc and get lovely fluffy grinds... but it appears to affect the grind size... does it also affect grind distribution and hence flavour?

I guess this is the same reason why with an empty grinder, the first couple of shots run really quick because until the chamber fills up there is no back pressure. I consistently see this, does anyone else?

I've asked a similar question a while ago. Got an answer to it after some research and input from a forum member:

Effects of anti-static devices when pulling a shot

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fcoffeeforums%2Eco%2Euk%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D28968&share_tid=28968&share_fid=6813&share_type=t

Thanks, very interesting article

does it also affect grind distribution and hence flavour?

I have only pulled a couple of shots since opening the SCC right up so it's too early to tell for sure. The shots tasted good though.

Even with the SCC control set to it's fully open position on the E37S, there is still some restriction at the exit of the burr chamber so I guess there is always some level of back pressure????

I will continue to monitor the grind quality (distribution) and see how it goes.

Still researching this and have written to Ceado about it.

Also, looks like someone else came up with a similar 'fix' recently.........Maybe Ceado should look into it !

http://www.home-barista.com/grinders/flat-burr-grinders-and-controlling-exit-chute-e37s-and-spraying-t41578.html#p472867

That's my 'Plan-B' if the chute cover fails but at the moment, the cover is working well and the quality of the grind is currently very good (and even seems to be improving with use).

Just wondering how your getting on with your e37s as Iv just picked up a seconed hand one recently. I was having problems with clumping. Iv just put the new scc on and it's working like an absolute dream now. Iv not experienced an spaying as of yet.

Just wondering how your getting on with your e37s as Iv just picked up a seconed hand one recently. I was having problems with clumping. Iv just put the new scc on and it's working like an absolute dream now. Iv not experienced an spaying as of yet.

Hi David, since I fitted the (Heath Robinson) chute cover to direct the grounds downward and into the portafilter, I have had no problems at all and I'm very happy with the grind quality.

I keep the SCC fully open.

I find that if I close the SCC down, I get some clumping but with it fully open, no clumping at all and the grind is very consistent.

All in all, a very nice grinder :)

Iv not experienced an spaying as of yet.

I bet your cat is relieved about that - he won't want his beans ground I'm sure!

Comedy aside, I find the grinds very fluffy. However I have had a bit of trouble with this 'spraying'. Also the opposite - grinds sticking in the chute, and therefore not delivering an accurate dose. This was possibly caused by dark oily beans (that I used for burr seasoning - not my usual light/med). I gave the whole grind path a good clean and it seems to have resolved itself. Sometimes when dialling in the problem makes a slight recurrence, but seems to settle down by the following day. I tend to leave the SCC alone now.

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

I recently tried a new approach which I'm calling the "Bird Feeder Mod" - I replaced the metal SCC flap with something fashioned out of wire mesh (actually taken from a bird feeder). Cut it to the same shape as the original SCC and completely removed the gind chamber flap that it usually presses down on. I've had really fluffly grinds so far and it has the advantage that you can rotate it out of the way using the SCC screw for cleaning.

If I get a chance I'll take a photo or two. It seems the clumping isn't a problem for everyone, but it was for me - if you're not having issues I would leave well alone! It sounds like the chute cover is a good solution for anyone not wanting to dismantle anything.

I recently tried a new approach which I'm calling the "Bird Feeder Mod" - I replaced the metal SCC flap with something fashioned out of wire mesh (actually taken from a bird feeder). Cut it to the same shape as the original SCC and completely removed the gind chamber flap that it usually presses down on. I've had really fluffly grinds so far and it has the advantage that you can rotate it out of the way using the SCC screw for cleaning.

If I get a chance I'll take a photo or two. It seems the clumping isn't a problem for everyone, but it was for me - if you're not having issues I would leave well alone! It sounds like the chute cover is a good solution for anyone not wanting to dismantle anything.

I like the sound of your 'Bird Feeder Mod', I may give it a try at some point if the chute cover causes me any problems.

I am currently using a slightly lighter roast of beans, fresh from HasBean, and I am experiencing very slight static charge on the grinds. Not enough to cause me problems, just a very very tiny amount of the dusty grinds exiting the chute get attracted to and stuck to the body of the grinder close to the chute exit.

I normally use a darker and slightly oilier roast which didn't cause any static problems at all.

I suspect your Bird Feeder Mod would be a good help with static reduction and clumping without creating retention in the burr chamber........

I had the rubber scc flap and it was clupping on the on a fine espresso setting. Installed the metel one and I have the flap almost closed and it's grinding really well, light and fluffy and no clumps. Iv not tried it fully open since the upgrade, I'm hoping I can forget about it now. Mine was seconed hand and has done around 3000 shots. I can see how the mesh from a bird feeder would work well, just can't see why different people have different problems.

Hi fluffels, how is your "Bird Feeder Mod" going?

I think this clumping thing is a bit of a red herring. Although I freely admit to having no coffee qualifications in fairness. But on my E37s I get a super-fluffy mound, albeit with some slight spraying of grinds. Then when I tap the PF on the mat to flatten the mound and remove the yoghurt pot catcher ring, the grinds appear to 'clump". So maybe a clump is just a bunch of nice fluffy grinds that is lightly attracted to others around it. Anyway they break up almost before the tamper touches it.

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

I think this clumping thing is a bit of a red herring. Although I freely admit to having no coffee qualifications in fairness. But on my E37s I get a super-fluffy mound, albeit with some slight spraying of grinds. Then when I tap the PF on the mat to flatten the mound and remove the yoghurt pot catcher ring, the grinds appear to 'clump". So maybe a clump is just a bunch of nice fluffy grinds that is lightly attracted to others around it. Anyway they break up almost before the tamper touches it.

Hi hotmetal,

When I close the SCC control down i get some quite serious clumps exiting the grinder chute, they are well formed and do not break up easily.

The clumping goes away when I open the SCC control - but then I get spraying and significant static. I have adjusted the SCC control every which way and can not find a 'happy medium position'.

I can't live with the clumping but I can live with the static with the chute cover directing 99% of the grinds into the portafilter.

I use darker roasts and am still hoping it will settle down over time - fingers crossed!!!

I'm as confounded by this as anyone, my E37s neither clumps or sprays as @DavecUK can attest as he has seen and used it. I know this from a sterner test of grinding 2 x 200g bags back to back when I went away last weekend and provided the coffee for the group. This is the only grinder I have owned which did not see grinds clinging to anything they could.

Which makes me question if static is purely the individual equipment or something in the environment. For those having trouble what happens if you stand your grinder on an anti-static mat?

ACS Vesuvius, Niche Zero, Dalian Amazon & assorted greens, Osmio Zero