dsc

GoPro alternatives

Decided to shoot some coffee related content and need a smallish camera, my HTC M8 isn't too bad, but I reckon something similar to a GoPro would be easier to handle (definitely easier than my D800 with a zoom lens). So I went online and checked the prices of the top of the range models...holy molly Batman.

So, looking for alternatives, can anyone recommend something decent for not a lot of monies? 1080p HD is all I need really, decent low light performance would be a plus.

T.

Espresso: Londinium L1, ZR-71 grinder

Photography: Flickr

To be honest - you'll not get a lot better than the M8. The GoPro doesn't bring you a lot for that kind of filming - generally too wide angle. (And rubbish in low light) And the D800 Would give great results.

Are you planning on a lot of movement or tripod stuff? Handheld - the bigger the camera the better for balance.

GoPros come into their own for action stuff - and if you're thinking of dual use then they might suit you - or an OSMO, which comes with a gimbal - and is GoPro quality.

The OSMO dont exactly look cheap

Anyone used the SJCAM before ?

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Yea you are likely looking at the wrong type of camera. Action cameras produce a fish eye distortion which doesn't look great for shooting 'product' videos.

Update your M8 to the latest android and check out an app called Open Camera which allows you to use the new camera API 2 to adjust ISO and Shutter speed.

You aren't going to achieve the lovely DoF with these smaller cameras however, you can get a bit but nothing like a DSLR.

So your options are:

Gopro like cam which will have fisheye (if you are set on this there are cheap Chinese ones that will do the job at a slightly lower quality)

DSLR which you already use

A digital 'handycam' (can get a good one of these for GoPro money)

A digital stills camera with good video capability (a good option if you get the right one, larger lens and sensor than a GoPro.)

If you want to borrow an action cam to see if it's suitable drop me a line, i have a Sony one which is the GO Hero 4 Black equivalent.

how about a full HD webcam?

Something like this for £20 must be worth a shot. 1.5m cable but will work with longer - record straight to laptop.

BOOM! You've just been onomatopoeia'd

I just assumed a GoPro-like camera would be more handy, easier to hold etc. D800 with a lens weighs a ton, but I reckon it would spend most of the time on the tripod, so not a major issue.

OK will stick to the dSLR for now, will probably only buy a better mic which I can move around.

T.

Anyone used the sjcams then? I have no aversion to using my iPhone - but don't wanna hold it . Solutions for when moving around ( not fixed tripod please )

Instagram - rjw_inc

I've got a Firefly 6S, which is bonkers good value if you're looking for a GoPro alternative.

Lots of everything: machines, grinders, roaster, beans, tampers, baskets, blah, blah

However - Too much is never enough!

I just assumed a GoPro-like camera would be more handy, easier to hold etc. D800 with a lens weighs a ton, but I reckon it would spend most of the time on the tripod, so not a major issue.

OK will stick to the dSLR for now, will probably only buy a better mic which I can move around.

T.

That's your best quality option - You'd need the better mic for a GoPro anyway. There are creative ways of getting decent sound into your phone/dictaphone and syncing later - but it's the levels of complexity you want to get into. I once picked up a decent personal mic from eBay for £2. Around £170 cheaper than the ones I use for work.

That's your best quality option - You'd need the better mic for a GoPro anyway. There are creative ways of getting decent sound into your phone/dictaphone and syncing later - but it's the levels of complexity you want to get into. I once picked up a decent personal mic from eBay for £2. Around £170 cheaper than the ones I use for work.

I was thinking about a shotgun mic for the D800/but so far most recommended kit is £100+ Smth around £50 would be better as I doubt I'll be shooting loads of vids, I just wanted to talk about grinders and machine mods without even showing my face:)

T.

I've got a Firefly 6S, which is bonkers good value if you're looking for a GoPro alternative.

That looks tempting

Instagram - rjw_inc

Banggood - about a week from order to delivery

Lots of everything: machines, grinders, roaster, beans, tampers, baskets, blah, blah

That looks tempting

Let me know if you plan to order, at that price I'm tempted to give it a go and we can split shipping costs.

T.

GitUp2 has a screen on the back of it, but is only 2.5K I think (may be just 1080p) - Firefly 6S has no image screen, just the small OLED display on the front.

Have GoPros got a screen on the back? would be handy to see if stuff is in the frame, but I won't complain at those prices.

T.

GitUp2 has a screen on the back of it, but is only 2.5K I think (may be just 1080p) - Firefly 6S has no image screen, just the small OLED display on the front.

Image preview Through a smart phone tho

Instagram - rjw_inc

Have GoPros got a screen on the back? would be handy to see if stuff is in the frame, but I won't complain at those prices.

T.

Some do, some don't

Yes, which works well

Banggood - about a week from order to delivery

Damn you.

That's £62 that 10 minutes ago I had no idea I was about to spend.

On the Firefly 6S? if so, I want one.

T.

Yup - Using the Firefly app... live video and photo / video review. Remote photography, etc. etc.

Plenty of reviews of the Firefly 6S on Youtube. I was impressed, and the gyro-stabilisation looks v good also.

Waaaant...

T.

More info, samples and links to IOS and Android apps on here: http://pevly.com/firefly-6s-review/

As I said, bonkers for the price really.

More info, samples and links to IOS and Android apps on here: http://pevly.com/firefly-6s-review/

As I said, bonkers for the price really.

Looks great - as a much more affordable GoPro rival - but not for this kinda filming.

The only thing I can see at a glance that may concern me is that it doesn't support UK frame-rates (25fps and multiples thereof - as far I can see from that link) which doesn't really matter if you're shooting outdoors in daylight - but it may result in flickering when dealing with UK light sources.

There's a menu option for 50Hz or 60Hz