I'm going to York tomorrow to watch the mystery plays. I'm meeting people at 12noon outside the Minster. Im hoping to build in a half hour coffee stop prior.

So. Where to go and be amazed? I'm park&riding (from potterton bar) so really needs to be close to the Minster or on the way, as my time will be tight.

I also won't be eating, so don't factor that in! (Unless somewhere does amazing coffee& dairy free cake!)

Did someone say coffee?

:Gaggia Classic--> Nuova Simonelli Oscar--> fracino Cherub:Mazzer SuperJolly:Hario V60+aeropress+french press:

Closest to Minster is probably Coffee Culture - serving York Coffee Emporium beans from memory. Located on Goodramgate, just round the corner from the Minster.

Also fairly close is Brew and Brownie on Museum Street, not been there but @Rhys is an advocate I think. A little further on from there and over the river and Lendal Bridge you'll find the Perky Peacock in an old toll gate tower on the right hand side of the bridge.

From memory I think the Park and Ride you intend arriving on (Poppleton?) drops you off virtually opposite the Brew and Brownie, and not far on from the Perky Peacock

Edited by Syenitic
Additional Info

Thanks @Syenitic! It's some sort of pop park and ride... to be honest I'll probably be so confused not having 6million kids hanging on to me I could end up on any park and ride in any country

Did someone say coffee?

:Gaggia Classic--> Nuova Simonelli Oscar--> fracino Cherub:Mazzer SuperJolly:Hario V60+aeropress+french press:

Ahh, such a lovely city. I spent a semester at the University of York back in 2010. Unfortunately Computer Science didn't work out for me...

Brew & Brownie is really nice, and serve Carvetii coffee (which I'm going through t the min and loving it.) its also within spitting distance of the Minster

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3 + Mahlkonig EK43 Turkish burrs + Niche

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

Sounds like that might be the spot. If I don't stumble on the others first.

Did someone say coffee?

Spring Espresso is a must visit in York, consistently good coffee, unfortunately I've probably missed the chance to tell you by now. But one to bear in mind for next time.

I've not been into Brew & Brownie but it always looks busy whenever I pass in the car!

I'm standing waiting for a table in brew and brownie. It's packed. @Pyro where is spring espresso?

Did someone say coffee?

Must be good if its standing room only

s160-k-noSee photos

data=RfCSdfNZ0LFPrHSm0ublXdzhdrDFhtmHhN1u-gM,C3V7zCy7KOLIWLbOYiVU2UDV77es_thViDE7i0GHAJdq11tuW_YEMioeyhM1eHAlXHDJqqzJ6FYuDpuKsGGuUECg56I7N-aR1LHa65aYpZ95g46XNuljR7dGx9Zvtp5l7iEj

cbk?panoid=XeZANMLxl847pI2GjFDKRw&output=thumbnail&cb_client=search.LOCAL_UNIVERSAL.gps&thumb=2&w=293&h=79&yaw=251.74608&pitch=0See outside

Spring Espresso  

MGP sRHICws9AzPg8MOzpx8VgaoE8qFhgEADLQAoXdonEAkRYQJxySKowJ0DWAPxOPAjEB0OHIBYmSNBUAQzGDAEkhFoT6AjHjzwCaRjTQezSSgEWtFjS6A2ECC4CFSGQhEEVYMsCGQkQIArXwJQCYRnwQInZQUZsJMi0AzHAfIEGtOg9JMcAjNgSWAiEBMIXQLJSUAbRVGWBtAIOBPoQ6AlAoILUFOC4AAEcQhcCHSBgHMCUkKsHDigBogRD7LDcDMEiQKKOyxUDdggJkrEGBQTFiCSPiAAOw==

4.833 Google reviews

Coffee Shop

Artisan coffee, Chinese tea and homemade cakes served in a cosy cafe with reclaimed 1600s furniture.

Address: 45 Fossgate, York YO1 9TF

Phone:07779 294149

Hours: Open today · 8am–6pm

Might go there later on! I'm about to eat so I'll let you know how the coffee is.

Did someone say coffee?

Been beaten to it! I think Spring is the best in York but that's just my opinion. I've been to Coffee Culture and the Perky Peacock but Spring Espresso wins hands down for me!

I'd personally avoid The Attic/Harlequins they've gone downhill over the last year or so IMO. They do an excellent G&T though!

Have to say brew and brownie was nice, but I feel like I could have done better myself. That said it's crazy busy, so something is going right, and the food was nice. Got a bit of a bums rush.

Did someone say coffee?

8636f1b7d9914843c49f78da8974d237.jpg

Did someone say coffee?

Nothing in York really floats my boat at the minute. They're all 'nice' but not nothing to get excited about, particularly if you have a good home setup.

Vesuvius, Monolith Conical, Feldgrind

Yeah. On further reflection I was a bit sad. I specifically asked if they were able to do a decent soya flat white, was assured yes, and had slightly sour lumps.

We had lunch at the cocoa house. They serve York coffee emporium in cafetieres, though I confess I didn't try it- I had a super dark almond milk hot chocolate. It was yummy. And less pretentious

Did someone say coffee?

Have to say brew and brownie was nice, but I feel like I could have done better myself. That said it's crazy busy, so something is going right, and the food was nice. Got a bit of a bums rush.

This is the problem ive faced and probably countless others on here.

Now, if i do have a coffee whilst out I try to have lowered expectations.

But, ultimately it leaves me happy, , happy in the knowledge im making better coffee on my humble set up than I can get in what are meant to be well thought of establishments.

But, ultimately it leaves me happy, , happy in the knowledge im making better coffee on my humble set up

And you can drink it in puke coated PJs without getting sideways glances.

Did someone say coffee?

And you can drink it in puke coated PJs without getting sideways glances.

Id get more than sideways glances if that happened indoors in the privacy of my own home !

But, if you want to sit there drinking coffee resplendent in your puke covered PJs then all power to you

Id get more than sideways glances if that happened indoors in the privacy of my own home !

But, if you want to sit there drinking coffee resplendent in your puke covered PJs then all power to you

Life stages I guess... give it a few years and I'm sure it will become acceptable for you.

Did someone say coffee?

I think I'm mentally scarred.

Did someone say coffee?

I've only been to Spring Espresso (July 2014), but thought it was really good. I think I'm in the same boat now as a lot of peeps on here, where I'm getting harder to impress as the coffee I make at home is (to my tastes at least), pretty awesome (and getting more consistent too thanks to my lovely new Espro tamper). I do love the flat white at Coffee Aroma in Lincoln mind you. I must invest in some HasBean beans someday and maybe some of their delightful red cups and saucers too :coffee:.

Home: Sage Duo Temp Pro | Sage Smart Grinder Pro | Sage Knock Box Mini | Espro 53mm Flat Tamper | Digital Scales

Work: Aeropress

Visited York for the first time today and was recommended Spring Espresso, I was there pretty early and so got a seat easily but can imagine it gets busy quickly. Has a lovely Americano, think they are using Red Brick coffee. Staff were also very nice. My coffee making is not up to shop standards so I'm still impressed by most places lol.

Sage DB (black) and Niche Zero (black)

Visited York for the first time today and was recommended Spring Espresso, I was there pretty early and so got a seat easily but can imagine it gets busy quickly. Has a lovely Americano, think they are using Red Brick coffee. Staff were also very nice. My coffee making is not up to shop standards so I'm still impressed by most places lol.

They use Square Mile coffee, so it will be Red Brick plus a single origin in the other Mythos. Not been to coffee shops in ages in York. Brew & Brownie is a no go place now as it is far too packed (plus my other half can't have gluten so the pancake stacks are out!). I'm not waiting forever for a table..

The Attic in King's Square was probably that last one we went to and a nice experience. I had a V60 there last and the staff were very knowledgeable and happy to talk about different beans etc.

The Fossgate Social has Union coffee IIRC (across the road from Spring), whereas the one situated in Barbican Bar itself (at the end of Walmgate) is a missionary staffed place that's cheap and cheerful, if you don't mind piped christian music and the odd bible (with definitely no swearing allowed).

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3 + Mahlkonig EK43 Turkish burrs + Niche

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

Think you missed the 2x Perky Peacocks; on Lendal Bridge and Gillygate, Spring I believe have opened a new (additional) shop just round the corner from the Brew and Brownie on Lendal I think (not been in yet) . The one no one ever mentions is Bison coffee on Heslington road, just beyond the Barbican theatre - not quite city centre, but only a short wander from Spring & the 'Gatehouse Coffee shop' you mention above. And of course the Hogwarts like Coffee Culture on Goodramgate should always be on the list....

Think I am due a day trip out in York CC soon!