Big Tony

A few questions - cleaning and minor upgrades

Hi all,

it's been a while since I was on so.....Hi :)

I've been using my rotary Brewtus for over 20 months now and wanted to just check I was doing the right things to get the best out of the machine. So firstly, my temp fluctuates depending on the coffee I use but if I'm not in tweaking mode it just sits at 95 degrees. I know the temp can be off and I still couldn't find the flash steam point even when I upped it to 102 degrees so any advice on that front would be appreciated.

my pressure is 9.8 bar when the machine is in action so it's probably running at around 9 bar in reality? Is that good?

I backflush weekly with pulfcaf and soak the screen, brass nut, gasket and wand tip in pulfcaf on a monthly basis. I use Ashbeck to fill the water reservoir and never use tap water.

Does all all of that sound ok so far?

I have NEVER de scaled :( as I've heard it's a nightmare. I didn't buy from BB so can someone pm me the de scaling guide so I can build myself up to the task :)

only other things I wanted to know we're whether other people had upgraded their machines with simple bits (not the joysticks as they're too expensive for me). I'm thinking IMS screen, wand tip etc... Can anyone link me the wand tip and IMS screen for this machine as I'll only mess it up if I guess myself. Other than that, anything else would be appreciated.

thanks

Tony :coffee:

Expobar Brewtus IV, Eureka Mignon and a wife who thinks I borrowed it all from Coffeechap :exit:

Mine already had the ims screen when I got it from yes row so can't really say about how it improved the cup. Just got the Alex duetto steam tips and playing round with the 4 hole and it's a massive difference in steaming a lot easier but also a lot faster. All in all two easy jobs ain't got the links but tips are on bella barista think there £25 for the set. Both mods easy to do and cheap so deffo worth it.

Expobar brewtus IV, Mazzer Royal ti burrs, Mazzer s.j, Torr 58.4 ti flat goldfinger, Torr 58.4 flat walnut, 20g VST,

Thanks for the response. Anyone else?

Tony :coffee:

Expobar Brewtus IV, Eureka Mignon and a wife who thinks I borrowed it all from Coffeechap :exit:

If you're chemical back flushing every week (overkill?) I assume you're re-lubing the cam in the group with HT silicone grease? If not you'll end up with a stiff lever and accelerate wear on the cam and followers. DavecUK has got a thread on it on the coffee time wiki.

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Hi all,

it's been a while since I was on so.....Hi :)

I've been using my rotary Brewtus for over 20 months now and wanted to just check I was doing the right things to get the best out of the machine. So firstly, my temp fluctuates depending on the coffee I use but if I'm not in tweaking mode it just sits at 95 degrees. I know the temp can be off and I still couldn't find the flash steam point even when I upped it to 102 degrees so any advice on that front would be appreciated.

my pressure is 9.8 bar when the machine is in action so it's probably running at around 9 bar in reality? Is that good?

I backflush weekly with pulfcaf and soak the screen, brass nut, gasket and wand tip in pulfcaf on a monthly basis. I use Ashbeck to fill the water reservoir and never use tap water.

Does all all of that sound ok so far?

I have NEVER de scaled :( as I've heard it's a nightmare. I didn't buy from BB so can someone pm me the de scaling guide so I can build myself up to the task :)

only other things I wanted to know we're whether other people had upgraded their machines with simple bits (not the joysticks as they're too expensive for me). I'm thinking IMS screen, wand tip etc... Can anyone link me the wand tip and IMS screen for this machine as I'll only mess it up if I guess myself. Other than that, anything else would be appreciated.

thanks

Unless your microfoam does not need any work use the 4 hole tip but I use a one holed steam tip. The one hole tip allows you more time to prefect your microfoam and I think gives you a better idea what is going on during the process and when to keep the tip just on top of the milk and when to plunge it right down and get the swirling motion. The 2 and 4 hole tips are much faster but less forgiving as its all over in a matter of seconds. I have de scaled recently and its not the nightmare people say but it is time consuming and if your careful you cannot do any damage. Just get the instructions(I found them on this site somewhere) and follow them to the letter. If you only use your machine in the home, say 4-6 coffees daily you are talking about de scaling once a year. Like the other guy I think you are overdoing the backflush with the pulfcaf, don't forget you can just use the blind disk with water now and again and use the pulcaf monthly.

Your sig is funny as its typical of what I do although I am not sure I'm getting away with it at this stage. Another ploy of mine is to pay half of the bill with a CC and the other half with cash so the outlay does not seem that excessive. I wonder how many more of us employ these deceptions. :drink:

Edited by Gerry
edit

The one hole tip allows you more time to prefect your microfoam and I think gives you a better idea what is going on during the process and when to keep the tip just on top of the milk and when to plunge it right down and get the swirling motion. The 2 and 4 hole tips are much faster but less forgiving as its all over in a matter of seconds.

I'm in the Duetto camp with respect to steam tips. What Gerry has written was not my experience. I hated the single hole tip with a passion. I changed the steam pressure, bored the hole to larger size al to no avail. Inconsistent, crappy results. Though as per the above this isn't everyones experience.

I changed to the 3 hole Duetto tip and the difference really was night and day for me. Instant results rather than banging my head against the wall.

As the tips come in a 3 pack I sold the two spares on here rather than keeping them. (Tips came as a 3hole and 2 x 4 hole tips from memory.

Ghe sboro fioi!

I got this screen: https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/teflon-competition-e61-shower-screen-by-ims.html

Did it make a difference? Visibly, absolutely huge! The distribution is far more equal. In the cup - yes, a marked improvement and pour.

Also got a new gasket too - this one I think https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/cafelat-silicone-e61-group-head-gasket-rancilio.html (but mine was pink).