kwack

What scales to get to measure shot as it's pouring

So

Recently purchased a 2nd hand gaggia classic and am reading up and trialling pulling double shots

I have read that should aim for a 1:2 ratio so 15g in 30g out in approx 25-30 secs

I have been using shot glasses that don't have markers on and guessing when 2oz comes up and then weighing this

Would it be better having a set of scales underneath the shot glasses measuring the weight as it pours?

If so what scales do people recommend?

And is the 25 sec from when I hit the switch not when it starts to pour. This does take up to 10-15 secs sometimes before anything comes out?

Cheers

Kwack

So

Recently purchased a 2nd hand gaggia classic and am reading up and trialling pulling double shots

I have read that should aim for a 1:2 ratio so 15g in 30g out in approx 25-30 secs

I have been using shot glasses that don't have markers on and guessing when 2oz comes up and then weighing this

Would it be better having a set of scales underneath the shot glasses measuring the weight as it pours? YES

If so what scales do people recommend? HOW MUCH DO YOU WANT TO SPEND

And is the 25 sec from when I hit the switch not when it starts to pour. This does take up to 10-15 secs sometimes before anything comes out? TIME FROM WHEN YOU PRESS THE SWITCH > DONT STOP BY TIME> STOP THE SHOT BY WEIGHT >>

Cheers

Kwack

Answers above

36 g will be less than 2 fl ounces

You are not brewing a double shot , you are brewing to a recipe

Hope this helps

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

I own and 'use' both (one for dosage and other for extractions).

CoffeeHit seem to have increased the price on Brewista Smart Scales by a tenner! Don't know if that has anything to do with them being the slightly updated/improved v2 model?

The cynic in me wonders if it's to cover the cost of the returns they've had to sort out. I bet they wish the video didn't show the Brewista being washed under a tap! My ebay cheapies are not waterproof but I know that and act accordingly. (Have drowned one pair already to be fair).

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

The cynic in me wonders if it's to cover the cost of the returns they've had to sort out. I bet they wish the video didn't show the Brewista being washed under a tap! My ebay cheapies are not waterproof but I know that and act accordingly. (Have drowned one pair already to be fair).

I just wanna chime in here and say that one of our sets was fully submerged in espresso last week (we keep them in the plastic tray so uprising steam isn't an issue) when someone was checking shot weight and hit manual by accident. I took them apart and gave them a properly good wash in a sink full of soapy water and left them on top of the machine overnight and now they work perfectly.

-insert punderful wit here-

'it's all about the microbubbubbles'

Cheap and cheerful really for me

I want to be able to measure shot extraction

Will look into the ones mentioned above.

I suspect at the moment I am under extracting if my timings are anything to go by as I said it takes at least 10 secs to start coming out and then it's a dribble at best

Just need to keep trying grind settings but this ain't half wasteful of beans

Cheers

Kwack

I just wanna chime in here and say that one of our sets was fully submerged in espresso last week (we keep them in the plastic tray so uprising steam isn't an issue) when someone was checking shot weight and hit manual by accident. I took them apart and gave them a properly good wash in a sink full of soapy water and left them on top of the machine overnight and now they work perfectly.

I've had two sets since they got released, used at home and at pop-ups, and they've been great. Dropped one set from chest height onto a tile floor and it still works. They've both had shots poured on the top and barely even freaked out. I put the new battery cover on both and now they don't do the random reset thing (which was their most annoying feature)

I got eight sets of Acaia scales for wholesale a couple of years ago and three of them had to be returned. Very few products are perfect.

I suspect at the moment I am under extracting if my timings are anything to go by as I said it takes at least 10 secs to start coming out and then it's a dribble at best

That sounds good to me. Sounds like you've got things about right.

The Artist Formerly Known As 'jonc' | All the gear, almost no idea.

(we keep them in the plastic tray so uprising steam isn't an issue)

Is that the bigger tray that came with them? If yes I thought maybe it was just a cover, something was off in mine so it didn't weigh properly with it, but maybe I should check that again...

Everything my heart could desire (more or less). . .

https://cupperjoe.com

Ebay 'cheepies' really work.

Had 2 sets in constant use until I went Acaia & found these really did the 'business' for me with their iPad App.

Keep all my coffee records on there.

Ron 

Love my Acaia for brewed and weighing the PF, but on the drip tray they are too bulky.

I would suggest a cheapo set for under the cup, when they start to play up bin them.

Twitter @Froggystyle

Acaia for brewed and weighing the PF, but on the drip tray they are too bulky

Works well if you stand the Acaia Scales on a 6x6 kitchen tile

Ron 

That's reassuring - I was worried that it didn't look like anything I had seen online where the coffee pours out a bit more flowing

I'd go for 1000g ones myself, just gives you a bit more range for cups etc

Did someone say coffee?

:Gaggia Classic--> Nuova Simonelli Oscar--> fracino Cherub:Mazzer SuperJolly:Hario V60+aeropress+french press:

2kg scales aren't much more expensive and in case you decide to get Chemex or use V60/Aeropress/whatever over the heavier mug, you'll need to buy again!

I have had Brewista and Hario scales, now use AWS 2kg/0.1g scales. All I need to do is to replace batteries in Hario scales, but... Don't really miss it while brewing.

2kg scales aren't much more expensive and in case you decide to get Chemex or use V60/Aeropress/whatever over the heavier mug, you'll need to buy again!

I have had Brewista and Hario scales, now use AWS 2kg/0.1g scales. All I need to do is to replace batteries in Hario scales, but... Don't really miss it while brewing.

I hate my AWS and am replacing them with Acaia Pearls. They drift terribly unless I use a very thick coaster to keep the heat away from them.

I think the moral of this thread is: everyone has different preferences when it comes to scales.

Or go Ohaus Navigator...

'it's all about the microbubbubbles'

Or go Ohaus Navigator...

I'm this close (-) to buying a set of them. Size is the only issue.

Or go Ohaus Navigator...

Don't think I've heard of those before, duly looked them up...blimey they're NOT cheap! :o

Don't think I've heard of those before, duly looked them up...blimey they're NOT cheap! :o

£158 if you shop around, not much more than Acaias

Think I saw them used in a Tim Wendelboe Periscope video on youtube? In which case they must be good!