Sign in to follow this  
MonkeyHarris

Silvia (Missing washer?)

I must admit I'm a bit slack on the maintenance of my Silvia. I do backflush every few days and descale every few months. I also use a filter in the tank and filtered water but until recently I'd never taken the shower screen off (Never seem to have the time). Anyway I took it off the other day as I was continually getting coffee particles when flushing. What I'm concerned about is when I took it off I thought I saw a washer sitting on top of the cone shaped nut but as I carefully took the bits apart I couldn't find it. I looked everywhere (for over an hour) and could not find it. Now I'm wondering if there was ever a washer there and if this was just black from coffee residue. I cleaned it and put it back together and the machine is working fine but I'm concerned. Any Silvia owners know what I'm talking about? :o

Rancilio Silvia V3 | Compak K3 Touch | Reg Barber 58.5mm | Grindenstein knockbox | Synesso Double Ridgeless

Any chance of posting a photo?

Fracino Cherub, Malhkonig Vario, Espro calibrated 58mm tamper, Espro jug, ACF cups and Costa lover.

Twitter @MrsSKRobinson

Good idea. I think it was where that screw is protruding from.

Edit: I have cleaned it again before anyone comments :)

IMG_0435.jpg

Edited by MonkeyHarris

Rancilio Silvia V3 | Compak K3 Touch | Reg Barber 58.5mm | Grindenstein knockbox | Synesso Double Ridgeless

I must admit I'm a bit slack on the maintenance of my Silvia. I do backflush every few days and descale every few months. I also use a filter in the tank and filtered water but until recently I'd never taken the shower screen off (Never seem to have the time). Anyway I took it off the other day as I was continually getting coffee particles when flushing. What I'm concerned about is when I took it off I thought I saw a washer sitting on top of the cone shaped nut but as I carefully took the bits apart I couldn't find it. I looked everywhere (for over an hour) and could not find it. Now I'm wondering if there was ever a washer there and if this was just black from coffee residue. I cleaned it and put it back together and the machine is working fine but I'm concerned. Any Silvia owners know what I'm talking about? :o

I'm awaiting my descaler at the moment, but if you aren't sorted by Monday (I think that's when I'll get time as I'm away this weekend) then I'll be taking mine apart to give it a good old clean and I'll let you know.

Cheers much appreciated. It's working fine, I'm just concerned that water is going somewhere is shouldn't be :)

Has any Silvia owners managed to check their machines yet?

Ok. two pictures attached. First is as it came unbolted and second is all the parts split so you can see (and so I could clean!). Hope they help.

IMAG0089.jpg

IMAG0090.jpg

Thanks for this. It's been worrying me. Clearly there never was a washer. That looks pristine compared to mine even after cleaning (I boil the parts in puly caff and water for about 10 minutes and scrub)

It doesn't get massive use but I still clean it quite regularly. I bought it second hand and wasn't sure of the use it had beforehand, but it seems ok! Awaiting to see what the descaler brings out.

Well I reckon you got yourself a bargain as that is immaculate. Thanks again!

Not a problem at all, I really need to use it more but I'm just not at home long enough! Sure it will get a lot more use when my girlfriend gets back from uni though.