MrShades

MrShades Gaggia Classic PID Kit (1/32DIN) - Complete PID kit with full guide - £94

It really looks fab...if time allows, it would be great to see a post on how to wrap the stainless and how to hook the WiFi switch and the Arduino timer...really marvellous!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ChilledMatt said:

That looks great. I was thinking of spraying a slightly tatty classic. I hadn't considered automotive wrap. How easy was it to apply? Did you have previous experience with wrapping vehicles?  

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

It wasn't that bad to wrap, but it did take some time as I've never wrapped anything before. I watched this youtube video for some guidance. I used Avery's satin pearl white wrap I bought at a place not too far from me. Avery is supposed to be one of the easier wraps to use as a beginner, and I used one piece to cover the machine so there are no seams. The material has lots of stretch to it so it's easy to wrap around corners, you just have to take your time. 

Edited by flyboy320

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, kokkolis said:

It really looks fab...if time allows, it would be great to see a post on how to wrap the stainless and how to hook the WiFi switch and the Arduino timer...really marvellous!

The WiFi switch idea came from MrShades and he wrote about it in this post. I used a slightly different WiFi switch which I got off Amazon (bought a bunch of them since they are great for use with other things like turning on/off plugged in house lights, etc. 

The timer took some time to figure out, but once I did it's actually quite simple. I bought the Arduino Uno, the LCD, and battery holder with switch off Amazon. Now that I have it all running, I could probably use the smaller Arduino boards like the Mini and also a smaller screen like the smaller OLED ones. The trigger for the Arduino to start the timer is the brew switch itself. In my version of the GCP, the brew switch is a DPST type and only one set of contacts were being used, the other two were not connected to anything. So I used the unused side of the brew switch and wired that into the Arduino so it detects when this switch is in a closed position, which starts the timer. I have the Arduino powered by a battery holder with a 9 volt battery and just turn it on when I am using the machine. All this sits behind the machine out of the way, but if I like it I may in the future buy one of the smaller boards and place it inside and power it off the Gaggia's rear power outlet, but for now it works a treat!

Edited by flyboy320

On 30/07/2020 at 13:01, MrShades said:

You may well find that if you just turn the SSR vertical and move it slightly to the left - leaving the wires where they are - that you'll have space.

Wont fit vertical. No way. I tried. The best way that almost work perfect is to leave the ssr loose, without the nut grabbing

Just ordered one of the new black kits on Thursday evening and it’s already arrived today in the post.  Fantastic service @MrShades

Looks daunting but I’ll have a go on tomorrow, fingers crossed 🤞 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, konrut123 said:

Just ordered one of the new black kits on Thursday evening and it’s already arrived today in the post.  Fantastic service @MrShades

Looks daunting but I’ll have a go on tomorrow, fingers crossed 🤞 

Excellent - thanks for letting me know;  it's not daunting - just follow the instructions (but read it all through once beforehand).

Edited by MrShades

Lots of everything: machines, grinders, roaster, beans, tampers, baskets, blah, blah

However - Too much is never enough!

@ChilledMatt, you are fast! I've had mine for a couple weeks but as yet time to do the work eludes me. That set-up looks very nice--it appears you used a hinge to swing the PID out of the way as needed. A quick question for you: which portafilter is that? Looks very pretty and sturdy too. I have the stock one and the handle is getting a little wiggly. Thanks, and congrats on your beautiful set up!

@AnaDuarte thanks. The install is quite enjoyable and the instructions are very clear and easy to follow. The bottomless portafilter came with a used Classic I bought, I think it is this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01EQ2SJW8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_0.LjFb5TVWTVS

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1