MrShades

MrShades Gaggia Classic PID Kit (1/32DIN) - Complete PID kit with full guide - £94

To be honest, the classic should come standard with a PID.

Mr Shades Kit is the next best thing

Totally agree. Especially when they're now calling it a pro version! Even a non adjustable one like the DTP has would be a huge upgrade on the mechanical stats.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

I love the PID and I don't think I could go back to my Gaggia's unmodified form.  My brewing has become much more consistent.

• Like 2

Mr Shades, I just sent you an email. I have just finished connecting everything as stated in the manual on my 2018+ Gaggia Classic Pro but the PID display is not turning on. Need a little bit of help :(

Mr Shades, I just sent you an email. I have just finished connecting everything as stated in the manual on my 2018+ Gaggia Classic Pro but the PID display is not turning on. Need a little bit of help

Have replied to your email - will get you running ASAP I’m sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of everything: machines, grinders, roaster, beans, tampers, baskets, blah, blah

However - Too much is never enough!

Posted (edited)

Howdy everyone 🙋‍♂️

I've had a Mr Shades PID kit fitted for several months now.

It's a game changer when it comes to getting the best out of your machine (and coffee). The Gaggia Classic is a great little machine and I've enjoyed some seriously good coffee using it!

Running the PID, I went with the factory settings and I've run a few autotune cycles and all I can say.............temperatures are always rock solid!

I always have the machine on for at least 20 minutes before use to ensure temperature stability. I use a wifi connected plug and the Tuya Smart app which puts Siri in full command of the Classic lol. It simply means I can have the Classic ready to go most of the time with no waiting about for preheating.

Just wanted to share how I went about mounting the PID for a clean look and maybe give someone additional ideas or options. I have also carried out some of the usual mods seen on the Classic with most of them functional and some cosmetic.

I remember reading Mr Shades saying, "A modded mod" which made me giggle and that's the line I have went down, modding his mod 😂 

I have a 3mm carbon fibre plate cut to fit the top of the Classic. My original steel piece was badly scored with a few dents in it. The machine is an Italian 2005 model.

I have the PID mounted to this plate with the wires entering the box through two holes drilled into the base of the box up through the CF plate. There is some heat proof matting on the underside of the plate and the PID box only ever gets luke warm at most. The PID box is finished using a Carbon fibre effect wrap with the two end plates powder coated black. It's a nice clean finish and you have full unhindered access to the filler spout lid. The PID is fitted to the CF plate using the double sided pads supplied and it is rock solid.

I've attached a few pics of my setup so hopefully that gives someone a few ideas with another approach to fitting the little belter 🙂

IMG_3547.JPG

IMG_3549.JPG

IMG_3545.JPG

Edited by Gee
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Gee said:

I use a wifi connected plug and the Tuya Smart app which puts Siri in full command of the Classic

I need to do something like this. Start up the coffee machine before leaving bed.

• Like 1

Hi! I have a Gaggia Classic, bought in 2016. Likely a 9403/11 version. Is it worth the PID? 

(understand that that pre-2015 ones are better for PID)

1 hour ago, winz said:

Hi! I have a Gaggia Classic, bought in 2016. Likely a 9403/11 version. Is it worth the PID? 

(understand that that pre-2015 ones are better for PID)

Whilst it's probably worth fitting a PID to an RI9403/11 (2015-2018 model), due to the fact that Gaggia changed most of the internal components of the Classic for this model, my kit ISN'T suitable for this machine.   Obviously you can still try and fit a PID to the machine yourself, but my kit, my pt100 sensor etc, are all designed to fit the older or more recent models (that use the same aluminium boiler/solenoid valve components).

Lots of everything: machines, grinders, roaster, beans, tampers, baskets, blah, blah

On 08/10/2019 at 15:29, Michael87 said:

Looks great. Do you gave any instructions for the pressure valve mod? 

Thanks for the comment 🙂

If you mean setting the pressure to 9 bar at the OPV valve inside the machine, that's real easy. There is a load of posts on here covering that simple process. There's a couple of threads on the first page of this sub-forum (Gaggia Classic) covering it.

If it's fitting the gauge itself, that's is handy enough also. I bought the pressure gauge kit off ebay which has all the parts you need.

Tools wise, I used a 40mm sheet metal hole punch (pic attached) for cutting the gauge aperture. That's my biggest tip for cutting a clean hole . Use a hole punch (and some muscle 💪). It is a quick and easy method and IMO a lot handier than using a hole saw.

You would also need a 14mm drill bit for the hole cutter bolt and a 12mm allen key for screwing in the hole punch.

Unfortunately I didn't document the install, sorry. I suppose I should have to help others out. Bad me 🙁

If I'm doing another one I will make a video and post it up.

IMG_3560.JPG

• Thanks 1

Thank you very much

I've just ordered the gauge and kit. Appeals because I can't get my head around plumbing connectors. Going back and forth on the punch as I can't find one cheaper than £18 whereas a hole saw plus arbor about £8.

Will try to document whenever I get around to fitting it. Boiler removal will be good practice for the eventual PID fitting.

17 hours ago, MrShades said:

Whilst it's probably worth fitting a PID to an RI9403/11 (2015-2018 model), due to the fact that Gaggia changed most of the internal components of the Classic for this model, my kit ISN'T suitable for this machine.   Obviously you can still try and fit a PID to the machine yourself, but my kit, my pt100 sensor etc, are all designed to fit the older or more recent models (that use the same aluminium boiler/solenoid valve components).

ah damn! Just curious, how bad is the 2015-2018 model actually in terms of taste? haha worth to upgrade to the 2019?

ah damn! Just curious, how bad is the 2015-2018 model actually in terms of taste? haha worth to upgrade to the 2019?

It’ll make espresso... just arguably not as well as others Classics.

Well IMHO the latest 2018+ version is expensive and is crippled by the auto-shutoff timer still (as you have on the 2015), and hence an older (pre-2015) used Classic would be a better ‘upgrade’.

The timer in both of the 2015 onwards versions is a major problem as it cuts in before the machine has properly warmed up!

So I would look for a great used machine from Pre-2015. Older Classics are great machines, and it’s hard to damage or kill them (if properly looked after) and even if you find a non-working machine at a good price then they’re often fixable easily or cheaply (I’ve bought “spares/repairs” Classics that just needed a damn good clean).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been debating getting the bits to try this myself prior to trying to do a big automation project with an Arduino, but being lazy I've decided I'll just got the kit.

Hello,

I received the PID-Kit 2 days ago. It was really easy to mount because of the perfect manual.

So far it works really great! 

Thanks Adrian for your fast delivery! 🙂

Michael

• Like 1