MrShades

MrShades Gaggia Classic PID Kit (1/32DIN) - Complete PID kit with full guide - £94

In an attempt to attach mine without signigicant increase of any dimension of my machine's footprint, I went with a butt hinge along the side of the water inlet in the end.

20180923_160447.jpg

One side of the hinge slides between the steel case and the plastic tray, and the other side was taped to the aluminium PID case, so it is still entirely reversable.

I used sugru to make a couple of silicon feet for the case so that it sat level in it's "closed" position, but still allows access to fill the machine.

20180923_160458.jpg

20180923_160451.jpg

Very pleased with myself.

20180923_160447.jpg

20180923_160458.jpg

Edited by gk36
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I like that... a very clever idea, and it only needs a hinge. Good work Sir!

Lots of everything: machines, grinders, roaster, beans, tampers, baskets, blah, blah

However - Too much is never enough!

Thanks! I had toyed with the idea of 3d printing a different drip tray, with room for the PID at the bottom right - but this turned out more elegantly than I could have hoped - especially for being totally non-destructive. My one reccomendation from installation (instructions were fantastically clear, for the record) would be that if you're going to remove the thermostat and install the new one with the boiler in situ, as I did, to do these steps before popping the front switches out of the case. I ended up popping mine back in, as it gave a little bit more leeway to keep the existing wiring out of the way in the case.

Hey Mr Shades, I'd like one of these PID's. Do you have any in stock?

Best regards from Austria

Florian

Drop me a PM and I’ll be glad to help.

Lots of everything: machines, grinders, roaster, beans, tampers, baskets, blah, blah

I’d like to say a massive thanks to @MrShades. Great kit, well organised, and the documentation is pretty darn good. Definitely read it twice though.

The install went well although the fused wire caused some intermittent issues that appear to now be sorted. Absolutely excellent response by email and I cannot fault the support at all.

It’s amazing what you learn when you start down this road of PID modding your machine.

I’ll have to wait until the weekend to try my first brew though.

Very interested. Read this thread a couple of years ago when first needed new thermostat. Need new one when I rediscovered this thread.

I'm thinking the 107C brewing stat has died as it's blowing steam out of the group head intermittently. Never use the steam switch or wand, just do pure espressos in this household!

IMG_7307.jpg

Kit arrived yesterday and installed this morning. Probably took 3 hours including cleaning and descaling inside. Outside needs a polish still ;-)

Delighted with how it operates and pulled a couple of good shots already!

Highly recommended, machine is transformed!

Chris

• Like 1

Hi @MrShades

I have sent you pm regarding buying one set of these. Have you received it.

Cheers

Gaggia Classic 2010 PID(IMS 200µm shower screen&Brass Dispersion Plate&OPV&Steam Wand Modded) | Kinu M47 V3 Niche Zero White | Bottomless Portafilter&VST Ridgeless 15gr and 18gr  | MouMou 58mm Distribution Tool | 2X 64oz Airscapes & CoffeeVac

Hi @MrShades

I have sent you pm regarding buying one set of these. Have you received it.

Cheers

Yes, will reply as soon as I get the chance - hopefully this afternoon.

• Like 1

I guess I have to pull the trigger and get one of these. I'm not very technically inclined though so we'll see what happens :D Sent pm.

Gaggia Classic 2014 w/ MrShades PID & Nuova Simonelli MDX

I fully recommend this kit to be installed to your gaggia. I thought i was drinking good coffee before :)

No more sourness or bitterness. No more temp surfing. Recovery time is also good if you do settings right.

Thumbs up for communication from MrShades as well.

• Like 1

Gaggia Classic 2010 PID(IMS 200µm shower screen&Brass Dispersion Plate&OPV&Steam Wand Modded) | Kinu M47 V3 Niche Zero White | Bottomless Portafilter&VST Ridgeless 15gr and 18gr  | MouMou 58mm Distribution Tool | 2X 64oz Airscapes & CoffeeVac

Hi MrShades,

I was wondering if your PID uses a single temp sensor and if so if both the bimetallic sensors are removed. Also do you know if the temp is stable enough across the height of he boiler that it doesn't matter which hole you use?

Thanks

Hi MrShades,

I was wondering if your PID uses a single temp sensor and if so if both the bimetallic sensors are removed. Also do you know if the temp is stable enough across the height of he boiler that it doesn't matter which hole you use?

Thanks

I can answer most of that for you.

The sensor replaces the brew stat (the one on the side). You can choose to either keep running the steam via the steam stat or through the PID if you prefer. No need to remove to steam stat, it just gets disconnected.

• Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler

I can answer most of that for you.

The sensor replaces the brew stat (the one on the side). You can choose to either keep running the steam via the steam stat or through the PID if you prefer. No need to remove to steam stat, it just gets disconnected.

Thanks very much. do you know if you could replace the steam stat and remove the brew one instead? I'm planning on wrapping in copper pipe and that would make things slightly easier I think.

Thanks very much. do you know if you could replace the steam stat and remove the brew one instead? I'm planning on wrapping in copper pipe and that would make things slightly easier I think.
You could as both stats have the same mounting but I've no idea how accurate it'd be. The brew stat is at the height of the water whereas the steam stat is above. The PT100 sensor MrShades supplies isn't that large though so I wouldn't think it'd get in the way too much if fitting a preheat coil and/or insulation.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Post edited: INCORRECT INFO

Edited by mr-bean
error

2012 & 2018 Classics both with  PID mods, Brass block, VST Baskets, Modded steam wands

I just purchased a Gaggia Classic 2015 (stainless steel boiler, etc.) and am wondering if your pid mod works for this machine as well.

Thanks,

Jesse

Sorry, no it doesn’t

Sorry, no it doesn’t

Ok, too bad. Thanks for the quick answer. Is it because of the change in boiler? If that is the case, then I assume the pid mod would work on the new 2018/19 model that goes back to the aluminum cast boiler?

Cheers,

Jesse

Ok, too bad. Thanks for the quick answer. Is it because of the change in boiler? If that is the case, then I assume the pid mod would work on the new 2018/19 model that goes back to the aluminum cast boiler?

Cheers,

Jesse

It SHOULD be much better suited to the new 2018 version, yes - mainly due to the boiler.

If you can get a pre 2015 or 2018 model then you’re probably in a better place anyway!

It SHOULD be much better suited to the new 2018 version, yes - mainly due to the boiler.

If you can get a pre 2015 or 2018 model then you’re probably in a better place anyway!

My 1993 Jura Rio Profi died a couple days ago because I was cleaning it improperly and I needed a cheap and quick solution. The 2015 model was reduced to £160 including next day shipping. Now that I have been doing more research, the earlier or later model seem like a better choice, but not for twice the price. I'd really like to move up to a larger Rocket machine at some point but am not ready lay out that much cash yet.

Thanks for the quick replies,

Jesse

• Like 1