MrShades

MrShades Gaggia Classic PID Kit (1/32DIN) - Complete PID kit with full guide - £94

A bit of an update on my PID kit that I've recently been working on.

Whilst I'm keeping the current kit alive and kicking, and the full details of it are still here: http://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthread.php?27931-MrShades-Gaggia-Classic-PID-Kit-Complete-PID-kit-with-full-guide-%A389

I've also been working on a kit that uses a PID controller that looks almost identical to the Auber one. It's 1/32DIN (rather than 1/16DIN for the Rex C100) and therefore half the size. It's half the size as it only has one display (rather than the two displays on the 1/16DIN Rex C100).

It's obviously much smaller, and this kit comes with a new aluminium box - that is also a two-part box (Auber seem to use an extruded single piece box, which you can't simply assemble around the controller once you've wired it up). As with the other kit, there's a cut-out in the front (around 44mm x 22mm) and a rubber grommeted hole in the rear.

As with the normal kit, all the SSRs and wires and everything else come with it - and they're all the same as the original kit.

Hence there's now two options:

1. The original 1/16 DIN kit, with dual display - being a larger unit, with larger enclosure

2. This new 1/32 DIN kit, with single (dual purpose) display - being a smaller unit, with smaller enclosure

As with everything, when it's smaller it's also more expensive (which is true for the PID controller and the aluminium enclosure) so this 1/32 DIN version is £5 more than the 1/16 DIN version - so it's £94 shipped to the UK.

Any questions, please just ask - and I have these in stock now and if you'd like one then please just PM me.

Some pics of the kit and controller:

(It was cold in the workshop, and hadn't warmed up - so it's showing 14C. Obviously normally it would show the brew temp at around 93C)

843276e8bc7962f37559253ba50bd35e.jpg

8554b3ef5466e76905b2a163c847990a.jpg

2973f891f22d74c43c0552b52540b374.jpg

A couple of pics to allow you to see the difference between the 1/16 DIN (larger, dual display) and 1/32 DIN (this one, smaller and single display) versions:

5e4f2c403a7e8f267b9a374adad87542.jpg

(Other than the fact that it doesn't say "Auber" on the front, if you can see any difference between this PID and the Auber one then let me know!)

0213114530caa8b81ff18ff3ab0b7042.jpg

For the avoidance of doubt, and to prevent any questions - Whilst this 1/32DIN controller LOOKS like the Auber one, and many (if not all) the menu options are the same - it does NOT have the hidden Auber menus, and it does NOT provide preinfusion or any of the fancy Auber only functions. It provides materially the same functionality as the Rex C100 and controls brew and steam temp.

I hope you like it!

Many thanks,

MrShades

Edited by MrShades

Lots of everything: machines, grinders, roaster, beans, tampers, baskets, blah, blah

However - Too much is never enough!

that looks ripe for a modded drip tray mount

AKA Toffee chips

Or would it fit inside now?

What's the point...it'll only change soon!

that looks ripe for a modded drip tray mount

It's pretty small, and I've been toying with the idea of cutting it into the left side of the black plastic filler funnel thingy also. I reckon it may well fit, and could probably be done (at a push) so that the lid/cover still fits over the top.

Lots of everything: machines, grinders, roaster, beans, tampers, baskets, blah, blah

Or would it fit inside now?

Yes, possibly... though I have a dislike of "destructive" mods. Everything I normally do can be 100% reversed..... though I do have a spare filler funnel somewhere... ;-)

Hey MrShades, are you making this one for the Silvia too?

Me and some guys in the office are thinking of clubbing together and getting a Silvia for the office

Profitec 700 | Compak E8

I intend buying your PID kit but noticed that you've just released this 1/32 DIN version. To help make my mind up between the two versions could you please clarify the following:

What does the 2nd display on the 1/16 version normally display?

NB: I understand that the functionality is otherwise then same. Just want to know what info we're actually losing from the larger display in return for the smaller size/neatness of this new 1/32 version. I guess the info of primary importance is the current temperature which I assume must be displayed on both versions anyway.

Hope the above makes sense! I look forward to your response...

The larger PID with dual display always shows both the current boiler temp and the temp that you have the brew temp set to.

On the smaller single display PID, normally the current boiler temp is shown - but if you press the up/down buttons to change the temp then the display changes to show the temp it's set to - and then a few seconds after you've changed the set temp, the display will revert back to show the current boiler temp.

Hope this explains it.

That does confirm what I'd suspected. In that case I'll get this new smaller unit as having the set temp permanently displayed has no real benefit for me. Thanks for your prompt response...

Hey MrShades, are you making this one for the Silvia too?

Me and some guys in the office are thinking of clubbing together and getting a Silvia for the office

The components would all (depending on the age of the Silvia - and if it's the newer versions then I have a sensor for that too) be good for the Silvia, it's just the wiring (and instructions) that would differ. If I could get my hands on a Silvia then it would be a reasonably quick job to translate the Classic kit across to the Silvia - but short of buying one purely to do this, I can't see it happening any time soon.

So - short answer is no, unless I can find a Silvia somewhere!

Change of Plan Shades! We are getting a classic :)

Once it arrives I will put an order in for PID

Profitec 700 | Compak E8

Hey Shades.

I take it this system does not support timer like the Auber version?

Aaron

Profitec 700 | Compak E8

As I said, whilst it looks like (and has many menus that are identical to) the Auber PID, it doesn't have the custom firmware or mods that their PID does that is capable of doing the other "clever" stuff (such as preinfusion - for what it's worth - which is what includes the "timer").

All my PID does is control the brew and steam temperature.... you'll still need your stopwatch!

You can mount it wherever you want really! Typically they're mounted to the left or right of the machine, but there's no reason why it couldn't be just stuck to the back of the machine and completely out of sight (as it's a bit of a "set and forget" device anyway).

With a Classic, it's not easy to mount it on the top (it's hot, not that flat, and the lid has to open).... and either side of the group head there's insufficient room and the tank wouldn't remove - so you're pretty much left with sticking it on one side or other of the machine.

As we discussed earlier in this thread, there may be other more "inventive" ways to mount it - either internally or otherwise - but I can't state categorically that it'd fit anywhere else, and it'd be a tricky task to boot.

Liking the newer smaller version

When it's fitted do the internal parts get in the way of removing the solenoid ?

If so is it a case of just removing a few more spade connectors than usual or more of a rigmarole ?

Would it be possible to see the internals of a classic with it in situation ? But please dont go to any lengths, just if you already have one.

Nothing really gets in the way of the solenoid valve, no. It's still as easy (or as difficult) to remove as ever!

There are two SSRs bolted to the rear of the case, one either side of the power socket - but that shouldnt make much (if any) difference.

Then there are a few wires running around the boiler (sensor in the thermostat location, and then wires connected to the wires that were connected to that thermostat), but nothing that would impact removal of the solenoid valve.

I don't have a pic of the finished internals - and if I took a pic of the inside of my Classic then it'd be slightly misleading as I have lots of other wires, pipes and "stuff" all over the place!

Perhaps some other kind soul, who has previously fitted the kit, has a finished internal pic?

@MrShades I'm hoping to add a PID to my fracino piccino, and Norvin has been kind enough to provide me with details of how they added theirs, I wonder if your kit would be suitable please or would i need to buy something else?

Norvins instructions to me are;

I used the standard Rex-C100 with a fotek SSR-40DA relay. PIDing the Piccino is just as easy as with a Classic, you use the same parts.

I picked up the switched live feed (1 on PID) by piggybacking the connection on the control box from the on/off switch (connection F1 red, from my notes), neutral (2 on PID) was taken from somewhere behind the steam boiler, the other two (12v) connections 4 and 5 on PID to 3 and 4 on relay, 1 and 2 on relay wired to the the two connections taken from the removed brew thermostat (make sure that you remove the right one, it has 92 degrees marked on it from memory), which is in turn replaced by the K type thermostat (connections 9 and 10 on the PID unit). The thread on the boiler for the thermostat is a 4mm metric thread, the same as on the Gaggias.

Many thanks for your help.

Gerry

Bezzera Strega & Niche Zero

Hi @GerryM,

I could probably do something special for you - that just had the single SSR (for brew, normally my kit has 2 x SSRs - one for brew, and another for steam). Otherwise, the parts will probably all be the same - yes - including most (if not all) of the wires / connectors. I can happily make up a kit that has 50% longer wires for you, as it'd probably be better to have wire spare inside the machine than short wires (and the connections to the PID are all 'bare' ended anyway, so you could shorten any that you wanted to).

But certainly the PID itself, the Pt100 sensor (don't use a K type TC, they're not really accurate enough), the aluminium enclosure, the SSR-40DA, most (if not all) of the wires, the ancillary bits/bobs (paste, cable ties, nuts/bolts etc.) would all be good for you - yes.

So - longer wires and only one SSR - I'll do for £5 less than usual (either the 1/32DIN kit or the 1/16DIN kit) - but I can include the wires for the 2nd SSR and if you want to add it later (and can work out how to, for steam) then they're available for about £5 on eBay etc. anyway. I'll include the Classic fitting instructions, and it may well help you fit to the Piccino - but obviously you'll need to use your own skills and ingenuity along with Norvins instructions to properly fit it and get it to work (but I'm happy to help).

Drop me a PM if I can help further.

Adrian

Great job George!

I'm liking the mounting position - very smart - and the black front of the case as well.

Modding a mod... Nice!

It looks like ET...

Did someone say coffee?

:Gaggia Classic--> Nuova Simonelli Oscar--> fracino Cherub:Mazzer SuperJolly:Hario V60+aeropress+french press:

It does kind of look like ET. Cheers Adrian, I want to spray the whole enclosure black when I get a chance. It looks ok as it is for now though.

Out of interest - did you just get a piece of metal (steel, aluminium whatever) and stick it to the rear with the tape - and then stick the PID enclosure to the top with tape... or is it bolted / screwed etc?

If you've gone to the trouble (and quickly!) to paint the fascia of the case, then I'm guessing that it's bolted / screwed etc.

Cummon - let's see a "rear shot"...

I did find a nice machined 90° section of black anodised aluminium to that I could use but then dug out some stainless steel and cut and bent it to size as the machine is stainless. For now it's as you say above Adrian - stuck to the side and then stuck to the PID with the tape, I wanted to see how annoying it would be to remove the water tank lid and casing lid if needs be before I bolted it on.

It works pretty well where it is though so I may do that this weekend. I'll post a photo later on today :good: