benbaldwin

Compak E8 Grinder Periodically Spraying Everywhere...

Locating your grinder hard against your steam wand presents a similar risk as not drying PF

Can anyone upload a video showing how the spraying action looks like?

T.

Espresso: Londinium L1, ZR-71 grinder

Photography: Flickr

I'd recommend cleaning out the grinder at least once a month in a domestic setting, weekly in a commercial one. This will prevent the build up of coffee that occurs in every on demand grinder I've seen inside of.

As a new E8 owner, I've not cleaned mine out yet. What would you recommend as a good routine? Reluctant to remove burrs if it can be avoided.

Londinium L1 | Compak E8

having used an E37S for month now, I can say no spraying. On the whole, the same bean varietal. I have not mucked around with the static chute, it is as it came out of the box. Are you changing beans a lot? If so, then perhaps it is expected. And it would be interesting to see the spraying in action, if possible

As a new E8 owner, I've not cleaned mine out yet. What would you recommend as a good routine? Reluctant to remove burrs if it can be avoided.

Ok, so this is how you change the dosing curtain on the Compak E8. A decent clean would follow the same routine.

1. Turn off and unplug the grinder, remove the hopper from the top.

2. Remove the silver domed burr chamber plate. This is done by removing the three black screws on the top and fully unscrewing the bolt which you use to lock the burrs in place. As you lift off the silver plate, there is an orange rubber insulating cover that may be stuck in the silver domed cover. If it is sat on top of the burrs, remove this too. Be careful to keep hold of the fluffy washer things that are located with the screws.

3. Next, you need to remove the touchpad. First, remove the two small grub screws that you can now see having removed the silver plate (be careful when you refit these later as they don’t need to be very tight at all, the plastic is at risk of splitting if too tight.) Next, you need to fully unscrew the bolt that is situated just above the chute which dispenses coffee into your porter filter. You’ll probably hear a large bolt washer fall off behind it as you do, make sure you retrieve this as you’ll need to put it back on when re-assembling (it sits just behind the plastic on the touchpad). You can now (gently) remove the touchpad - don’t try to remove it completely as there are cables connected. It should just rest on the side of the grinder when removed. Be careful not to catch the fibre optic cables which supply the lights. If you do dislodge them, they just easily pop back in.

4. Now you will be able to see where the chute connects to the grinder body. Remove the screws that hold it in place and the chute can be easily removed.

5. You should now be able to see the dosing curtain which covers the hole where the coffee exits. Remove it by unscrewing the clamp. You can now clean all around, removing the coffee build up.

6. Thats it, now you just need to reverse what you did to get the grinder back together.

I know this sounds complicated but honestly, it's pretty simple. The whole job takes less than half an hour and there is no need to remove the burrs at all. Just to be clear, every incident of spraying that we have seen has been related to the curtain becoming twisted or moving out of place. There may well be different causes of this problem but reseating, cleaning or replacing the curtain with a slighter thicker one has solved the problem for all the grinders that we have dealt with.

I do single dosing, no problems with spraying whatsoever, 19 grams in and 19 grams out, retention? yes but do not take that in account, because the grinder is used in My coffee-trailer 6 kilo's in a row. ;-)

20160502_155643_resized_1.jpg

20160514_213900_resized.jpg

02-10-16 Eeklo Belgium, I'm on it with my great coffees for the second time <first time!="">

The biggest outside Flea market from Vlaanderen 1400 stands

Sales flap open; 08:00 www.facebook.com/A3koffie < My coffee-trailer >

!! I Love CoffeeForums UK !!

</first>

Buy a 58mm metal camera lens hood ebay fits nicely in basket no mess £3.39

Profitec 700 / Compak E8 RS

I've been running some experiments with my E8 on this issue since this post was started. I think you will find that if you move your grinder to the opposite side of your machine to which your steam wand is on that you are likely to eliminate the issue. For the same reason it is much more likely to occur in winter when you have the windows shut in your kitchen and steaming saucepans than it is in summer. Taking the grinder apart should be a last resort: a clean dry kitchen towel folded up and carefully deployed up the exit chute should resolve it in seconds.

Edited by lespresso

Having just taken almost half an hour to produce 2 cups of coffee this evening I feel very grumpy! I love my E8, I really do, but for goodness sake when it sprays I want to leave home!

Tonight it did it half way through the grind. I'd already made the first coffee, it was cooling on the worktop while I cleaned the chute with my 'patented' tool - a flattened drinking straw (and checked the flap was down), tipped the half quantity out of the basket and started again. Oh my! this time virtually the whole lot shot out and over the basket with such velocity it managed to clear the worktop altogether, landing across the floor and on the dog!! Mega clear up this time, a brush up the chute (on the end of the vac tube), a good look and the anti static flap is back down with not a speck of coffee grounds hiding anywhere. Then a quick sweep of the dog and I am ready to roll.

Managed it on the third go, and the fourth (the first cup of coffee was cold by now)!!!

I have been cleaning it every morning, carefully checking the flap isn't impeded by any grounds, and usually I have a trouble free day. I'm not sure I want to clean it every day really . . .

Do you think mine has the stiffer anti static flap, @foundrycoffeeroasters.com ? We bought it at the end of March.

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

Having just taken almost half an hour to produce 2 cups of coffee this evening I feel very grumpy! I love my E8, I really do, but for goodness sake when it sprays I want to leave home!

Tonight it did it half way through the grind. I'd already made the first coffee, it was cooling on the worktop while I cleaned the chute with my 'patented' tool - a flattened drinking straw (and checked the flap was down), tipped the half quantity out of the basket and started again. Oh my! this time virtually the whole lot shot out and over the basket with such velocity it managed to clear the worktop altogether, landing across the floor and on the dog!! Mega clear up this time, a brush up the chute (on the end of the vac tube), a good look and the anti static flap is back down with not a speck of coffee grounds hiding anywhere. Then a quick sweep of the dog and I am ready to roll.

Managed it on the third go, and the fourth (the first cup of coffee was cold by now)!!!

I have been cleaning it every morning, carefully checking the flap isn't impeded by any grounds, and usually I have a trouble free day. I'm not sure I want to clean it every day really . . .

Do you think mine has the stiffer anti static flap, @foundrycoffeeroasters.com ? We bought it at the end of March.

That doesn't sound good, ours never sprays at all and it does sound as though your flap isn't functioning properly at all. I couldn't say for fur whether Compak ship the grinders with the 0.5mm or the 1mm flap. I'd be happy to send you out a 1mm flap and you could see if that sorts out your issues?

That doesn't sound good, ours never sprays at all and it does sound as though your flap isn't functioning properly at all. I couldn't say for fur whether Compak ship the grinders with the 0.5mm or the 1mm flap. I'd be happy to send you out a 1mm flap and you could see if that sorts out your issues?

Aww! Thanks, it does sound like my flap isn't functioning! I will message my addresss ;)

I still love the grinder, just not this particular side of it :)

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

Took it to bits to check this morning. This is what we found (after 2 grinds last night)!

34770059885_5c7154f61a_z.jpg

The flap seems to be catching/binding once it gets angled.

We shaved a half mm off each side to see if that would help.

34770060005_12a04b4de1_z.jpg

The flap is definitely 0.5mm by the way.

33961499023_71385dae18_z.jpg

Made two cups then peered up to check. It is stuck again.

33961942033_7c3f129397_z.jpg

The coffee is perfect. 18.4g in, 28s, 35g out (Red Brick)

34770547665_7ba48a2ca4_z.jpg

I bet the 1mm flap will be a (I almost said game changer) help!!

Hmm, not good. I hope the new flap sorts this.

Loving the cup n saucer (non) combo

The flap didn't sort it, but we HAVE worked out *possibly* what the problem was. More soon.

Having trialled the new position of the grinder over the last few days I am pleased to say we have cracked it! No more periodic spraying!

The original position of the grinder was to the right of the machine, away from the steam wand. What we haven't noticed was that when I purged the steam it went into and then out of the drip tray - straight up the grinder chute!

Here is my technical drawing of the steam path superimposed over a handy photo.

35051173745_9f78226d04.jpg

Having moved the grinder to the dresser, well away from the machine, all is working as it should (and the Rocket looks far nicer on its own, and the grinder looks better on the dresser anyway) and the usual feeling of calm has reinstated itself in the kitchen :)

35111503815_b8aa37c6e7.jpg

Humidity is a killer on grinders

AKA Toffee chips

Shouldn't humidity make it better? It reduces static, so the drier it gets the worse it should behave.

T.

I see it this way. If the steam was shooting up the chute then it was dampening the area least likely to benefit from being damp, in relation to static. (I know what I mean, I'm not very good at putting it into words).

A single drop of water to 18g of beans can make all the difference as the beans following the grind path into the shaker on something like the HG-1.

Shouldn't humidity make it better? It reduces static, so the drier it gets the worse it should behave.

T.

Agree I just said it is a killer, especially in commercial environments

AKA Toffee chips

Maybe it's a case of "too much of a good thing" :) I'm fairly sure I've read elsewhere re moving grinders away from the machine and achieving better grind results.

T.

I'm having similar problems with my E10 but it doesn't have an anti static flap. I think it's going on a little journey across the kitchen following your findings!

Vesuvius, Monolith Conical, Feldgrind

I'm having similar problems with my E10 but it doesn't have an anti static flap. I think it's going on a little journey across the kitchen following your findings!

Mine almost went on a little journey straight through the window until I worked it out! Hope it does the trick with your E10.

I thought I wouldn't like it not adjacent to the machine but I actually like it more this way.

Let me know how yours behaves after a few days' trial ;)

Yay , you are sorted sometimes it is the simplest of things that throw us , I was starting to wonder what was a drift as mine has not,given me any of the issues you've had , I went really fine on my grind with last weeks coffee and well off my normal sweet spot and was expecting to have loads of issues dialling back in , suprised even me how easy this grinder is to use , dare I say I think I'm now starting to get attached to it .

great news you are all sorted :-)

¿ ǝsǝɥʇ pɐǝɹ ǝuoʎuɐ sǝop

Maybe it's a case of "too much of a good thing" :) I'm fairly sure I've read elsewhere re moving grinders away from the machine and achieving better grind results.

T.

In the case of the E8, the problem doesn't seem to have anything to do with static, or not directly at least. When the curtain is positioned correctly, the static is dissipated and the coffee exits the chute in a fairly orderly fashion. The problem arises when the curtain gets wet (from steam wands or excessive humidity in the environment). The humidity results in the plastic curtain distorting in shape, which then stops it doing its job properly.

Would you recommend a flap for E10?

Vesuvius, Monolith Conical, Feldgrind