benbaldwin

Compak E8 Grinder Periodically Spraying Everywhere...

Hi,

I have had my Compak E8 Grinder for sometime now and for the most part, it's an amazing, super quick piece of grinding machinery that presences itself on my kitchen worktop ever so nicely! However, every now and then when I place the portafilter onto the holder to grind, the grinds spray all over the place and not directly into the basket as they 'normally' do.

Has anyone else had any experience of this? It's really ticking me off that something of this value is unable to grind into the basket each time, every time!

Thanks so much in advance!

Ben

R58 :: Compak E8 :: 18g VST :: Chemex :: Naked Portafilter :: Porlex Hand Ginder :: Extract Coffee Beans

I don't single dose, I use the smaller hopper. The only time I have an issue is when I've finished off the last set of beans then I'll take the hopper off, run the grinder and tap the top (where the hopper goes on) to clear it out.

Generally the next shot will be messy, it'll spray grinds everywhere and then it settles down again for the next grind.

Don't know if that helps but otherwise it seems super consistent to me.

Don't judge me

Everything my heart could desire (more or less). . .

https://cupperjoe.com

So, you weigh the beans and chuck them in the hopper and grind until nothing more comes out? (sorry if I've completely missed what you said!)

R58 :: Compak E8 :: 18g VST :: Chemex :: Naked Portafilter :: Porlex Hand Ginder :: Extract Coffee Beans

@froggystyle no I'm not. I used to single dose on my Mazzer Mini, but I have the small hopper on the Compak and go through approx 500g per week with ease so wanted to take advantage of the timer etc so I wasn't weighing in and out all the time. Why would that matter?

He said he does not single dose

AKA Toffee chips

I was just wondering why single dosing had been mentioned.

Light roasts or more developed?

Twitter @Froggystyle

Light roasts - nothing but Extract Dr Strangelove. I find it pretty annoying, especially if I've just cleaned up. Sometimes it will go for a few days of behaving and then randomly just spray everywhere... just a waste! :)

hmm god knows then, i know with my E10 if i use more developed beans they spray about a bit, but never had it with lighter beans.

Have you opened it up and had a check at the top of the chute?

Twitter @Froggystyle

I was just wondering why single dosing had been mentioned.

Light roasts or more developed?

I said I don't single dose because I didn't know if Ben does or doesn't (until he confirmed that he doesn't). I was thinking if single dosing it's a bit different.

Sorry Ben, as I said I just don't find that it sprays at all for me apart from after I've cleaned it out. I'm usually using light to medium roasts.

Don't judge me

Everything my heart could desire (more or less). . .

https://cupperjoe.com

If you've had the grinder a while, it may just need a clean. The curtain at the top of the chute can get pushed to one side and it's also possible for coffee to build up around that part of the cute after a long time without cleaning.

Cleaning is pretty easy. Undo the silver dome and remove (remembering to unscrew the crew which holds the burr adjustment). Then take off the plastic cover which holds the touchpad. It's then just a question of unscrewing the chute and taking it off. You'll be able to see the dosing curtain at this point, remove, clean everything up and you're done! 10 mins.

Just don't take the burrs off, as they have to be re-aligned by sight alone. I am not convinced mine are, but impossible to tell really.

Profitec 700 | Compak E8

I believe Reiss encountered the same issue and put it down moisture from the PF impacting. Check the Londinium forum for his findings

We've had a number of reports of this happening and with different causes. In all cases, the flap has moved or become twisted somehow, usually through cleaning but Compak think that it can be caused by moisture in different operating environments. Reiss may have found another potential cause too. It's easily resolved and whoever supplied your grinder should be able to supply a flap that is identical but made with slightly thicker rubber which has always resolved the issue in our experience.

We've had a number of reports of this happening and with different causes. In all cases, the flap has moved or become twisted somehow, usually through cleaning but Compak think that it can be caused by moisture in different operating environments. Reiss may have found another potential cause too. It's easily resolved and whoever supplied your grinder should be able to supply a flap that is identical but made with slightly thicker rubber which has always resolved the issue in our experience.

Over time the flaps do seems to get bent out of shape and coffee creeps behind them, further compounding it.

I removed mine all together which solved my clumping issue but does add the fun of static :)

Profitec 700 | Compak E8

I was another with this issue at first, and this was because the curtain was crooked. Quick poke to straighten it and it's been fine since.

Like Aaron says, they do seem as though they accumulate grinds behind them, makes me wonder whether I really purge enough to clear retention. I still get a certain degree of clumping, particularly when I'm going finer, but it doesn't particularly bother me anymore. It can sometimes make distribution a little difficult, but mostly I can just grind, tap and tamp with 4/5 shots pouring centre.

I'd recommend cleaning out the grinder at least once a month in a domestic setting, weekly in a commercial one. This will prevent the build up of coffee that occurs in every on demand grinder I've seen inside of.

Edited by foundrycoffeeroasters.com

if you don't dry your portafilter before placing it under the exit chute you are almost guaranteed to have trouble. A hot steaming PF is going to send moisture up the chute with the results reported here. Not sure the flap is the culprit tbh.

Edited by lespresso

This won't necessarily help but if it makes anyone feel better, I am having similar issues with my E37s. Sometimes it sprays, and sometimes the grinds pile up in the chute. The result is that it's anyone's guess how much coffee will actually come out, which renders the 'on demand' function a bit useless. I don't feel confident taking anything apart beyond whipping the top burr carrier off for normal cleaning and it looks fine in the grind chamber. I always have a dry PF when grinding (I wipe the basket with kitchen roll before each grind) but it still happens. I was just beginning to think 'should have got an E8 but it seems it's something that can happen to any OD grinder. I am also wondering if something is out of position or needs cleaning - but it's been like it from new so maybe it was the beans I seasoned it with? I hope you and I can find a solution.

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

I have the E10, Santos 4 and Macap MC7, all OD grinders, all spray at random, more so on certain beans, all have similar chutes, maybe its just the design?

Twitter @Froggystyle