This is a thread for tips and tricks for new owners of the Sage DB (of which there are a few, thanks for Amazon, JL and Lakeland's erratic pricing recently :D )

I am using the single-wall dual shot basket with Rave Signature. I've upped the temperature by a couple of degrees as I find that Rave Signature often comes out sour at lower temperatures. I need to fiddle with the grind some more too but I'm pretty close. I'd be interested in recommendations for beans that really shine on this machine?

Milk is steaming really well. Very impressed by that.

How is everyone else getting on?

Thanks for starting the thread. Should be a good place to pick up hints and tips.

Has anyone had there white glove service? I am waiting for my grinder to arrive before I book mine. Once that's here and I am set up I can hopefully be more of a help on this thread.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Sage Dual Boiler. Baratza 270. Sage Smart Grinder Pro. 18g Vst ridgeless. Motta Competition Tamper 58.4mm. Aeropress.

Not tried the WG service as I live in Brussels, however my DB is fantastic. I did up the head temperature to 94 degrees on recommendation of Casa Espresso for the Charleston blend. Lots of flexibility with the machine but great consistency also. My grinder is good - lots of people speak badly of it but I find it good for me.

Currently drinking: Casa Espresso Charlestown v2 Espresso Roast. Marvelous!

Sage Dual Boiler | Smart Grinder Pro | 58mm Naked Portafilter | VST 18g Ridged | Bialetti French Press | Bialetti Moka Stovetops | CuisineArt DGB-600 Grind and Brew Thermal!

Glad to hear that the grinder is doing ok. Most of the reviews I read for this grinder were very positive considering its price! Obviously it can't get compare to a Mazzer but to hear it's doing ok is encouraging.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Sage Dual Boiler. Baratza 270. Sage Smart Grinder Pro. 18g Vst ridgeless. Motta Competition Tamper 58.4mm. Aeropress.

I'm really liking the machine so far. The milk steaming isn't as powerful as my last machine (Fracino Cherub) but seems to get more consistent results so far. Really liking the volumetric shots as before I would wait for my shot to finish then steam milk but now I do both in parallel. I think I might buy a separate tamper though. It's much better than the usual plastic job that comes with machines but think I need something a bit nicer to make me happy!

Haven't messed about too much with temperature or pre-infusion time but I took the % power for pre-infusion down to 55% just to see what effect it has. Only had one shot after doing that so far and was pretty good!

Sage Dual Boiler/ EK43 /Technivorm Moccamaster/Feldgrind / Aeropress / Clever Dripper /Bodum & Le Creuset Cafétières

I keep hearing good things about this machine! I have just spoken to Sage and they say that my grinder should be with me Thursday or Friday! So, machines ready, i picked up some freshly roasted beans yesterday so should be a good weekend.

I did look at the tamper and that was the first thing I thought. Let me know what you change it for.

I keep hearing good things about this machine! I have just spoken to Sage and they say that my grinder should be with me Thursday or Friday! So, machines ready, i picked up some freshly roasted beans yesterday so should be a good weekend.

I did look at the tamper and that was the first thing I thought. Let me know what you change it for.

I'm torn between a Torr sharp edge and one of the 'hockey puck' style like Push or Mahlgut. Although I struggle to get past the price of those. I've had two Torr ones before so I know they are good.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Sage Dual Boiler/ EK43 /Technivorm Moccamaster/Feldgrind / Aeropress / Clever Dripper /Bodum & Le Creuset Cafétières

To be honest I thought that I'd replace the tamper but I love the simplicity of being able to dock it in the machine itself.

Had best yet coffee this morning - getting some way towards to the standards of many of the hipster coffee shops using very high end pressure profiling machines. Very pleased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just as a heads up I ordered a sage knock box from mankind free delivery and a working 20% discount code. Works out to just under £16.

Well my grinder came yesterday! Had a bit of a play with them made some not bad coffee. Need to get my head around all these settings lol. I did make the wife a latte which she enjoyed! The white glove service are calling Monday to arrange their visit. Hopefully they can steer me in the right direction.

Just as a heads up I ordered a sage knock box from mankind free delivery and a working 20% discount code. Works out to just under £16.

Received an email from Mankind this morning, 20% off orders this weekend (using code: GEORGE ) plus, receive a FREE Jack Black - The Best Things in Life are free kit (worth £23) when spending £45.

Earn 2% cashback if you go via Quidco site.

Hi All

I only recently joined the forum but over the last two days have read many items around the Sage dual boiler machine and to some extent understand the seemingly two different camps around the Sage machine and then the more traditional chrome and copper pipe work machines that some find appealing to look at and others do not but like the product at the end of the process. This was confusing initially, but surely if each produce a classy, tasty, velvet grand coffee what is the problem? Some like Fords, others Citroens and others Aston Martins but at the end of the day they get us from A to B.

Anyway I have ordered the Sage dual boiler at a good price from ao.com who are offering a 10% discount code in addition to their already discounted price and of course Sage's promotion of their grinder so roll on next week and let the espresso's flow.

Thanks so far to all you out there who through expressing opinions and great factual help from your experience who helped me and probably many others in getting through the maze of this addictive "hobby". Cheers.

I will let you know how I get on.

Glad to see you taking the plunge. As you say, machines divide opinion and you can't change that. All I know is that the DB is a great machine, at a good price and people are getting lifetime warranty deals that make it virtually risk free. Enjoy learning to use your DB and make sure you have some nicely rested beans ready to go...

Sage Dual Boiler | Smart Grinder Pro | 58mm Naked Portafilter | VST 18g Ridged | Bialetti French Press | Bialetti Moka Stovetops | CuisineArt DGB-600 Grind and Brew Thermal!

Glad to see you taking the plunge. As you say, machines divide opinion and you can't change that. All I know is that the DB is a great machine, at a good price and people are getting lifetime warranty deals that make it virtually risk free. Enjoy learning to use your DB and make sure you have some nicely rested beans ready to go...

What do you mean by " nicely rested beans"?

Most beans require around 10 days after roast date to be at their best.

Espresso: Quick Mill Verona

Grinder: Mythos and loving it

Tampers: Reg Barber flat 58.35

All I know is that the DB is a great machine, at a good price and people are getting lifetime warranty deals that make it virtually risk free..

Can you explain the lifetime warranty?

Can you explain the lifetime warranty?

Lakeland offer a lifetime 'satisfaction' guarantee. Each iteration seems to be worded more and more ambiguous. Some have put it to the test by returning something defective or faulty many years after purchase and had it refunded or exchanged but whether that will be the same result with regards to an electrical item, five or more years down the line is anyone's guess. It's still probably the best warranty to have on one of these machines.

^ what @DoubleShot said..... lol :whistle:

One odd thing with my machine. It seems to switch itself off after about 15 mins of being left alone. Does this happen with anyone else's?

One odd thing with my machine. It seems to switch itself off after about 15 mins of being left alone. Does this happen with anyone else's?

Yes but I think it's 20 minutes then goes into standby. It's part of a regulation on energy saving etc. Then turns off after 30 minutes, or something

Everything my heart could desire (more or less). . .

https://cupperjoe.com

@jamster

There should be a setting that allows you to adjust the period before it goes into auto standby or auto off. Thought I read that the default setting was 2 or 3 hours rather than 15 mins though?

Yes but I think it's 20 minutes then goes into standby. It's part of a regulation on energy saving etc. Then turns off after 30 minutes, or something

Mine is definitely much shorter. I'll have to give them a call and see how to make it longer. It's the difference between having it come on when I ought to get up versus it being on when I *actually* get up. :)

Suppose this is where the heated group head on these machines which can bring it up to temperature in approximately 5 minutes comes in handy in these situations? :D

It could be the power saving mode but that shouldn't activate in 15mins. According to the manual if no activity for 1hr it will enter power saving mode and pressing any button apart from the power button will turn the machine back on. If it is left for more the 4hrs it will turn itself completely off. I think page 20 of the manual tells you how to disable the auto off.