James811

Cheapy machine

Hey guys. As some of you know I've just bought a wilfa grinder for my brewed coffe which is my main coffee use.

I do however have a delonghi bean to cup machine for whenever I fancy an espresso or latte etc. I was mentioning to someone at work this morning that I have bought a grinder and he happened to say that he had this machine sitting at home which he got for Christmas and has never used and is willing to let me have it for £20

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/household-appliances/small-kitchen-appliances/coffee-machines-and-accessories/coffee-machines/delonghi-ec271-espresso-pump-coffee-machine-black-silver-10138224-pdt.html

Now, my question is, do you think I could make a better espresso on this machine and my grinder than my bean to cup machine is doing? To be honest I quite enjoy the look of making espresso too so that also comes into my plan of getting it.

Like I said I mainly drink brewed so as long as you think I could make a palatable espresso on this with my wilfa grinder, for £20 I'll go for it and sell my bean to cup.

Thanks for any help,

James

Sage Duo Temp Pro - Sage Smart Grinder Pro - Aeropress - Kalita - Coffee

as tempting as it may seem, I would take the £20 and buy a Moka pot, 2/3 cup size. I for one, and probably many others did not realise just how good a cup these produce. It is not espresso in the true sense but when you get it right, you get a potent shot that needs diluted a little with water. The quality will be a million times better than that machine. that is what I turn to, having tried many of the usual brew methods.

I may just take the hit and buy a second hand gaggia Classic off here. Just worried about it being a few years old with no warranty etc :/

Do you think this machine would be similar quality coffee to my b2c? Because I'm thinking that my new wilfa grinder will be better quality than the one within my b2c machine so should therefore make a better espresso on a similar quality machine?

Edited by James811

Do you think this machine would be similar quality coffee to my b2c? Because I'm thinking that my new wilfa grinder will be better quality than the one within my b2c machine so should therefore make a better espresso on a similar quality machine?

It's not a great machine/ for various reasons it won't make very good espresso ( pressurised baskets ) . They are designed to be used with pre ground coffee

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Thanks boots. I'm just thinking for £20 it may get me a little more involved in espresso and enjoy it more because I'd enjoy making it, I may then upgrade if I do as I've not spent any real money on this one

It is tempting, I can see that, but the path with this is likely:

£20 out > frustration > not tasty coffee > time passes > machine gets binned = £20 down

buy a Gaggia classic and it'll be more £ up front, but the potential is there to a: make good coffee and b: see a not-too-dissimilar return if you choose to upgrade

The Artist Formerly Known As 'jonc' | All the gear, almost no idea.

Thanks boots. I'm just thinking for £20 it may get me a little more involved in espresso and enjoy it more because I'd enjoy making it, I may then upgrade if I do as I've not spent any real money on this one

It will be £20 wasted . Save you money

Instagram - rjw_inc

Meh. Just going to get a classic. Would it work ok with my wilfa?

Meh. Just going to get a classic. Would it work ok with my wilfa?

No idea - not used a wilfa . But looking at the website it's a filter grinder primarily ?

Instagram - rjw_inc

Am I the only person who thinks the word Wilfa sound like a euphemism?

Wife/milf maybe?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Rocket Giotto Evo, Mythos, Torr x 2, Rapha Chris King Tamper (coz they are cool), VST's, Hausgrind, Airgrind, Hario Slim, Chemex, Aeropress, Oomph, Puck Puck, Bialetti, Black Acaia scales, Acia Lunas,fresh beans

Blah Blah Blah - it makes coffee