IGNORED

Chef knife advice needed please

I know, once I get a knife worthy of taking care of it I will also invest in a knife block of some description, I did plan to leave the knife out on the side in the kitchen but felt uncomfortable with it being out in the open like that and figured, well it's supposed to be a professionally made knife right so it should have endured the kitchen drawer without issue, no point me worrying about it, I made a boo-boo and it's ended up damaging the blade, can't be changed just need to be sure I don't make the same mistake twice.

I just keep my good knives in the plastic sheath things they came with in the drawer. Looked into blocks, magnetic racks etc and it seems no storage method is perfect.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I do have to say that i'm not at all convinced by the original damascus you were thinking of from amazon. Looks like it's acid etched to me.

Put it this way, there is no way a real damascus steel, ie layered blade, could be that cheap.

Have a read here:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/587837-fake-damascus

I think you would have been more disappointed to think you have bought a proper knife and then find it was a fake than to know you are buying a celebrity endorsement thing that will be an average knife at best

@Khashy wow, you're onto something there, I just read some of the reviews for some of their other blades, cheap crap city, one of them rusted after the first use, hmmmm, this kitchen knife malarkey is as tricky as Espresso machines, have to find a previously loved knife I reckon. :)

I haven't read the thread s apols if this is a repeat, but when searching for a good price vs quality knife for my Uncle at Xmas I settled on this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Victorinox-19cm-Chefs-Knife-5200319W/dp/B00300S400?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

I can't personally comment on how it has fared, but it gets very good feedback for the price.

Lol, it does feel like a cheap knife when you receive it, the handle is as cheap as they come... but if you can get over the cheap look it is supposed to be a good knife.

@Khashy wow, you're onto something there, I just read some of the reviews for some of their other blades, cheap crap city, one of them rusted after the first use, hmmmm, this kitchen knife malarkey is as tricky as Espresso machines, have to find a previously loved knife I reckon. :)

Honestly you can find a very decent knife for say £70 or there about. Any of the names people have mentioned here or in the other knife post will not disappoint (I am of course going to be biased towards IO Shen).

The 'pre-loved' knives that come up for sale in the knife forums and such will more often than not have high price tags as any knife worth re-selling will have been a very expensive thing to start with.

My experience anyway.

Honestly you can find a very decent knife for say £70 or there about. Any of the names people have mentioned here or in the other knife post will not disappoint (I am of course going to be biased towards IO Shen).

The 'pre-loved' knives that come up for sale in the knife forums and such will more often than not have high price tags as any knife worth re-selling will have been a very expensive thing to start with.

My experience anyway.

I hear ya Bud, meh, I live on a shoestring budget mate, I do manage to save enough dosh to buy stuff from time to time but more often than not something else crops up and bang, there goes me meagre savings, I do get it, to get quality you gotta spend big numbers, well I'm one of those poor prats who wants something acceptable that doesn't mean I have to sell a kidney to get it. :)

'more often than not something else crops up and bang, there goes me meagre savings'

This is basically a very accurate of Mrs.Khashy in my case [emoji12]

Doubt ItalianBrews "something else" is shoes though [emoji12]

Well I've just come back from Kamata's shop in Kappabashi, saw some beautiful knives in there, especially a 240mm wa gyuto with Sakura design on the blade, a snip at ¥50,000 (£330)! Needless to say I left empty handed, but it was nice to see. Dream on... Plus I think a knife like that is too good to use every day (I'm not a chef either). Plus I actually think it's cheaper to get a good Japanese aogami or damascus knife from knivesandtools.com (ships from Holland).

Well I've just come back from Kamata's shop in Kappabashi, saw some beautiful knives in there, especially a 240mm wa gyuto with Sakura design on the blade, a snip at ¥50,000 (£330)! Needless to say I left empty handed, but it was nice to see. Dream on... Plus I think a knife like that is too good to use every day (I'm not a chef either). Plus I actually think it's cheaper to get a good Japanese aogami or damascus knife from knivesandtools.com (ships from Holland).

Nice!

Should have taken a photo.

Love Kappabashi dori. Spent hours going up and down both sides of the street.

Did you buy any of the super realistic plastic food?

I didn't take a photo of the knife cos I didn't want to offend Kamata San (some places are funny about what you take photos of) but I wish I had. One had maple leaves and the other cherry blossom as I mentioned. Would have been a nice pic. Sensei bought a 150mm hammer finish damask wa-handled kaisaki which looks a lot like my Sakai Takayuki and had the club kanji engraved on it but the steel was stainless. I wanted to go to Union Commerce but there were 5 of us, all of whom are senior to me and all were impatient to go to the martial arts shop so I had the frustrating experience of being in Kappabashi and round the corner from where I was going to buy my kaisaki and running out of time ? I saw the wax food ? that would have made a brilliant souvenir! It's amazingly realistic. I should have bought one and invited friends round for a Japanese meal and played a joke on someone hahaha!