screen 2019-03-04 at 5.27.57 PM.jpg

We've now shipped machines to our entire backlog, and we have a small number of machines on-hand, which we can ship right away.

This also means that:

1) the lower cost DE1+ model is now once again available.

2) the DE1PRO is now available "a la carte" at a lower price, because you can now choose to not have it plumbed.

3) I'm hoping that we can keep up with orders, since we've been able to keep making 20 machines a week, for 9 weeks now. 9 months ago, we were only managing to make 6 machines per week.

The http://DecentEspresso.com web site has had a huge facelift.

I've written a "choose a model" wizard (photo attached) to help people answer a few questions to get a model recommendation. And about a half dozen new pages going into various decent topics.

screen 2019-03-04 at 5.28.12 PM.jpg

For the past 4 years, the web site has been morphing into whatever we need at that moment. I hadn't made the time for a big rethink about how I present our espresso machine (and its variations) to people.

The decent web site sections covering our espresso machine has not been something I've been proud of, whereas the accessories pages were much better).

So: I'd love feedback on what I've done. Are you able to understand the Decent offerings better? Do you have questions you felt should have been answered? Is it still too confusing?

-john

Is it my memory that is fading, or the price tag on the DE1PRO? I seem to remember the difference between the Plus and Pro was ~ 800 euro and now it's 400? (maybe I should have hit "buy" first and asked later )

Hopefully this new page I put up today will do a good job answering the question:

https://decentespresso.com/model

If not, please let me know.

Btw clicking on the image of the DE1PRO links to https://decentespresso.com/de1xl which does not exist.

The past three weeks have had me working on and off on the website, as I could steal time. Unfortunately a few pages went live before everything was finished. Sorry about the broken link.

Hopefully, you won't find any broken links now.

Will the XL fit in the current suitcase? If not, what is the plan for those that order the XL as soon as it is available to order and are shipped the DE1PRO in the current suitcase?

This new page that went up today answers that question:https://decentespresso.com/de1xl

Specifically:

"If you order the DE1XL now, we will ship you a DE1PRO immediately. We will later send you the DE1XL conversion kit, along with the necessary tools. The conversion is quite easy, and will take about 30 minutes. You can also convert your DE1XL back into a DE1PRO, if you want to travel with it. We expect to ship the DE1XL conversion kit in May 2019. "

Also, for those that order the white XL will you ship the black DE1PRO initially or will we have to wait until you get all the white pieces in stock?

We will ship the black DE1PRO immediately, and in a few months all the white pieces will be shipped to you. The conversion takes about 30 minutes and will supply you with all the tools necessary. It's just screwdrivers and wrenches.

Will there be a white ceramic drip tray included with the white XL?

Not at the moment, no. Good question though. I would have to order 1000 of them, as that's the minimum order quantity from the ceramic company.

However, if I ever do get to a point where I can order white drip trays, and possibly even white water tanks, I'd be happy to replace those pieces for free for anyone who bought a white DE1XL.

As I think about it some more, there might be a possibility of my getting just a few hundred white ceramic pieces with the next ceramic order I do in August, since just the glazing would be different.

Can you read the tea leaves and say anything about pricing on V1.3?

If you're asking me to peer into the future and squint, I would guess that the group head controller is going to add about £300 to the sale price. That's based on what I know now.

-john

xl1.jpg

I've put up for sale, the kit that will convert your DE1PRO/DE1+ into a DE1XL.

You can buy it here:

https://decentespresso.com/de1xl

It's available in black or white.

We're still finalizing everything on it, so if you order now, we'll ship it as soon as it arrives.

If you already own a DE1PRO or DE1+, you previously didn't have the option of buying this model. So: I will discount the conversion kit to be the difference in price between what you previously bought and the DE1XL. Contact me if you'd like that special price.

We're going to be including all the tools you'll need to do the conversion. We're finalizing the design for our own custom wrenches, to make swapping the steam wand easy, and we'll include the appropriate Torx T10 screwdrivers too.

The most recent revision has "locking screws" in the back of the countersunk bracket. That's so a cafe can choose to lock down their espresso machines to make them quite difficult to steal.

Note that you don't need to countersink the DE1XL. If you already have a small hole in your counter, you can table-mount the espresso machine and simply slide the tubes through your existing hole.

-john

Does the DE1 have a standby mode? Meaning main switch on, but not keeping things at temperature? And can the tablet wake the machine at a programmed time to heat up? Lastly, if it does all that, how much power does it draw in standby (trying to be balance eco-friendliness here with convenience ;))

Btw John, I love what you did with the shopping cart; never seen one that forwards you to a bookmarkable url of the cart, very clever!

Does the DE1 have a standby mode? Meaning main switch on, but not keeping things at temperature?

Yes: when the power switch on the back is turned on, electricity is fed to the Meanwell 24V power supply, which keeps the onboard computer fed with electricity. That keeps the Bluetooth connection going too.

The onboard computer can choose to send 24V to a relay which then engages full mains power, heating and/or remaining at temperature.

When you press the "power" button on the tablet, this turns off mains power and a screensaver is displayed on the tablet. When you tap the tablet screen, it comes out of sleep, and engages mains power on the espresso machine. It then warms up and stays warm until you tap the tablet’s power button or the scheduler tells the machine to go to sleep.

screen 2019-03-06 at 10.57.12 AM.jpg

And can the tablet wake the machine at a programmed time to heat up?

Yes, there is a scheduler for turning the machine on and off, here's a screen picture

screen 2019-03-06 at 10.57.41 AM.jpg

Note that there is also a timed screensaver which will put the machine to sleep if you haven't used it, again activating the screensaver.

screen 2019-03-06 at 10.57.40 AM.jpg

Lastly, if it does all that, how much power does it draw in standby (trying to be balance eco-friendliness here with convenience )

It consumes about 0.3 A in this standby mode, I believe that's what our customers measured the consumption at independently.

Btw John, I love what you did with the shopping cart; never seen one that forwards you to a bookmarkable url of the cart, very clever!

Thanks: I really like all the intelligence of a page being in the URL, and short enough that it can be pasted in an email without wrapping.

If you're interested in the gory details, the numbers on the URLs are pairs, which indicate:

1) the significant digits of a part number (removing the preceding zeros)

2) the quantity

ie this:

https://decentespresso.com/c?s=20+2+106+1

Becomes this:

screen 2019-03-06 at 10.55.23 AM.jpg

We couldn’t make our mind up between two different shades of white, for the upcoming DE1XL model, so I had one sample of each made. The whiter one is also a tad glossier.

What are your thoughts?

-john

The glossier, brighter one is better, I think.
I agree. If you're gonna go white, you may as well go the whitest white you can white. The other one looks a touch dirty in comparison.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

It's always difficult to judge colours on a computer screen but the one on the left appears grayish; I would vote for the one on the right. The XL won't fit on my table top, but maybe you'll offer white panels for the regular size in the future?

It consumes about 0.3 A in this standby mode, I believe that's what our customers measured the consumption at independently.

Is that 0.3A at 24V (7W, highish but acceptable) or measured at the outlet at 230V? The latter would defeat the purpose as this means (with 24x365 standby) a consumption of ~ 600Kwh or 120 euro / year. To put that in perspective: that's more than 25% of my current yearly electricity bill, and equals roughly 4kg of single-origin beans :eek:

I already "reverse engineered" the URL of the shopping cart ;)

Is that 0.3A at 24V (7W, highish but acceptable) or measured at the outlet at 230V? The latter would defeat the purpose as this means (with 24x365 standby) a consumption of ~ 600Kwh or 120 euro / year. To put that in perspective: that's more than 25% of my current yearly electricity bill, and equals roughly 4kg of single-origin beans :eek:

It's 0.3A at 110V, not sure at 220V. EU regs require less than 0.5A to qualify as "low power mode".

Bear in mind that the Android tablet is also being charged during this time.

But, if this is too much power usage for you, put it on your own timed-power-switch, and set up your own Android charging solution.

-john

DE1XL WHITE CHASIS_STUDIO RENDER_2972x1920 px_WHTE 1.jpg

It's hard for me to change everything on the machine to white, all at the same time, with the low quantity of machines that we are planning.

Thus, for now, the group head handle and the portafilter handle and the tablet and the power cable will all still be black. As I reorder and change suppliers, if I am later able to get white versions I will upgrade white DE1XL customers to those whitened components over for free.

A few minutes ago, we just ordered a sample of white silicone outer tubing for the steam wand. We'll see how it looks.

Here's a render of the current "whiteness" of the machine.

ps: thanks everyone for your feedback. We're going the the "whiter white" color, that was on the right.

-john

John, if I understand the site now, the increments are, DE1+ is $2499 (US). Adding $400 gets you the DE1PRO with upgraded components, but no fill capacity. Another $400 gets you the ability to fill from water under pressure or in a container. Yes? Will there be an option at some point to just add the fill kit to a DE1+?

John, if I understand the site now, the increments are, DE1+ is $2499 (US). Adding $400 gets you the DE1PRO with upgraded components, but no fill capacity. Another $400 gets you the ability to fill from water under pressure or in a container.

100% correct.

Small addition: a plumbed in drip tray is also included with that last option.

Yes? Will there be an option at some point to just add the fill kit to a DE1+?

Yes: you can buy each component of the refill kit separately, at any time. They work with all our machines, but it's more expensive than buying a bundle.

More info here:

https://decentespresso.com/refill

-john

Is that 0.3A at 24V (7W, highish but acceptable) or measured at the outlet at 230V? The latter would defeat the purpose as this means (with 24x365 standby) a consumption of ~ 600Kwh or 120 euro / year. To put that in perspective: that's more than 25% of my current yearly electricity bill

7W is 60.8Kwh per year so not as bad as your calculations.

0.3A at 230V would yield 600Kwh / year. But as John replied, actual "standby" power is 0.3A at 110V -> 33W or 289Kwh / year. So using an external timer seems prudent (assuming you want an automatic start at a scheduled time).

bubinga.jpg

Decent Engineer Ben Champion used sandpaper to remove the black paint on our handles. This revealed the quite beautiful bubinga wood underneath. He oiled the wood, and here’s the result.

Might look very nice on the white DE1XL, but it doesn’t look bad on the black chassis either.

-john

I’ve been working closely with Lisbon, Portugal based designer João Tomaz on every product Decent do.

That’s why we have such a strongly consistent design aesthetic, which comes out of the tradition of European Modernism (hello Bauhaus!).

In this video, Joao shows a bit of his drawing and design skills.

As our products are now designed, optimized, and shipping, Joao is now part-time with us, as I don’t have enough work to keep his fertile mind fully occupied. If you need a bit of design help on your project, you couldn’t do better than Joao.

-john

mice2019.jpg

During quiet periods, Ben Champion took a few photos at the MICE 2019 coffee trade show in Melbourne, Australia.

It's funny: everything looks so calm and quiet in those photos. That was actually true: when Ben could find a pause to take his camera out, things were quiet. Mostly, all 3 Decent locations at MICE were steadily busy. Ben spent all 3 days answering Decent questions at the Zest Specialty Coffee Roasters stand.

A big thank you to Luca, who isn't a Decent Employee, for helping out on our stand at Veneziano Coffee Roasters. He wanted to get some quality time with the machine to learn about it, taste Scott Rao's roasts, try his hand with our upcoming pour-over basket, and attend Rao's roasting master class.

-john

Posted (edited)

screen 2019-03-11 at 2.23.11 PM.jpg

I have put the order in with our wood handle supplier, to make a small quantity (250 each) of the portafilter and group head handles, in natural wood finish. The wood used is ash.

It will take approximately 60 days for these to arrive, but they should look very similar to what Ben made by sanding the paint off and oiling the wood himself.

If you’d like to order them, you can do so on this new "accessories" page and we will send them out to you when they come in stock.

https://decentespresso.com/accessories

These natural wood handles will be standard on the white DE1XL. But anyone can buy them for their machine, if they prefer this look.

This is not meant to take away from the very creative work that some decent owners are doing in creating custom wood handles. Some photos attached.

W7RjJXa.jpg

Edited by decent_espresso

Any idea if a paddle actuator is still in the works? Could it make it onto v1.3?

v1.3 Will have a touchpad, which functions a bit like the original iPod (tap, and optionally change with circular motion).

It will display pressure and flow as green and blue LEDs, in real time. It will allow you to take over the espresso shot and control either pressure or flow in real time by gliding your finger along the touchpad.

I'm sure that someone could add a physical paddle on top of that, which touches the touchpad for you (as a 3D printed accessory, maybe), but that will not be part of our design.

We did quite a lot of studies of the paddle idea, and could not make it work. I really like that one controller can now take over pressure *or* flow, something which no other machine can do. We couldn't make a paddle do that. A paddle also interfered with the real-time display of flow/pressure, that we had in mind.

Here's what it will look like:

controller_mockup.jpg

v1.3 Will have a touchpad, which functions a bit like the original iPod (tap, and optionally change with circular motion).

It will display pressure and flow as green and blue LEDs, in real time. It will allow you to take over the espresso shot and control either pressure or flow in real time by gliding your finger along the touchpad.

I'm sure that someone could add a physical paddle on top of that, which touches the touchpad for you (as a 3D printed accessory, maybe), but that will not be part of our design.

We did quite a lot of studies of the paddle idea, and could not make it work. I really like that one controller can now take over pressure *or* flow, something which no other machine can do. We couldn't make a paddle do that. A paddle also interfered with the real-time display of flow/pressure, that we had in mind.

Here's what it will look like:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39576[/ATTACH]

Much appreciated, thanks for the info! From what I've read previously, I believe v1.3 was anticipated for an August release. Is that still the general timeframe? I realize you do need to sell the current model, just curious since i'm saving up and not ready to purchase right away.

Much appreciated, thanks for the info! From what I've read previously, I believe v1.3 was anticipated for an August release. Is that still the general timeframe? I realize you do need to sell the current model, just curious since i'm saving up and not ready to purchase right away.

Yes, we're on track for that. Here's the maths.

At 20 machines/week, that's 80 a month, ie 6 months = ~500 machines. We've made 200 already, of this batch of 700.

So... in September, we will run out of the v1.1 product line. Give ourselves 1 month's latitude (and also assume that some of our 700 parts will have a % defect rate) that means.... August.

We're currently preparing to order the v1.3 parts, by the end of April. That gives us 4 months for all the parts to arrive. Vendors *claim* 2 months, but our experience is that 4 months is the reality.

In the next few weeks we'll have a "working prototype" of the group head controller. We soldered together "alpha v2" pcb last week, and at least one more revision is anticipated.

A slight price increase going to v1.3 is also anticipated.

-john

image.jpg